Aprilia RS250

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aprilia RS250

Aprilia RS250

I'm looking into buying one. The dealership BMW Toronto claims they could never get one into Canada to sell. I've looked on various auto traderesque websites with no luck.

Does anyone have experience getting their hands on a bike that even dealers can't get. In my case it's the Aprilia RS250.

Re: Aprilia RS250

they are 2 stroke... importing it for street use might be a challange.

but it can be done..

It can be done, for the right money.

A long time ago, I saw one on eBay. Those are really hard to find. You're best bet is the states.

i know someone who has one here and was looking to sell it. It wont be cheap though!! i'll see if it's still for sale.

According to the 15 yrs law, you can import a 1995 or older RS250... imo they look nicer than the last version of RS. The biggest problem is finding one. If you find one in the state, make sure its street legal because most of them are club bike (track only).
    Some owner converted them for street use, although they get plated and registration in their state, it may or may not affect the Canadian import process. do some research first..

Of course, if you are buying one for track use only, it wont be a problem.

Good luck finding one.

not so
    pure 2-stroke spirit

See them on here all the time. http://raresportbikesforsale.com

You'd have a much easier time getting an RS125.

Im just curious as to how a 250 2 stroke such as the RS 250 can produce almost twice the power of an equal size 250 4 stroke such as the Ninja 250r. If the RS 250 had been street legal for sale in Canada, I definately would of considered getting this. It amazes me that the RS250 has all the benifits of my 250r (light weight, great handeling...RS 250 probably better, cheap on insurance..etc) and yet has the power to weight ratio of 600 cc SS.... Why can't a manufacturer design a 2 stroke so that it meets todays emissions standards and yet still produce the power they currently achieve.

short story...they're a hassle to maintain, long story...i don't know.
    For sale, 2007 Aprilia SXV 450 Supermoto
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...prilia-sxv-450

Quote Originally Posted by 250R-ICE View Post
    Im just curious as to how a 250 2 stroke such as the RS 250 can produce almost twice the power of an equal size 250 4 stroke such as the Ninja 250r. If the RS 250 had been street legal for sale in Canada, I definately would of considered getting this. It amazes me that the RS250 has all the benifits of my 250r (light weight, great handeling...RS 250 probably better, cheap on insurance..etc) and yet has the power to weight ratio of 600 cc SS.... Why can't a manufacturer design a 2 stroke so that it meets todays emissions standards and yet still produce the power they currently achieve.

basically 4 stroke engine has 4 stage: suck (suck in fuel/air mixture), squeeze (compress the air/fuel), bang (strike the spark to burn the compressed air/fuel), blow (release the burnt waste). 2 stroke will do suck and squeeze in 1 stroke, bang/blow in the second stroke. thus in theory, it produce twice power as 4 stroke engine.

But thats is in theory... in reality, since 2 stroke has open intake/exhaust port, it cannot burn fuel as efficient as 4 stroke engine. Which is also one of the reason it can't meet todays emissions.

The other reason 2stroke engine cannot meet today's emissions because it use the fuel as part of its lubricate system for the components underneath the piston. Fuel has to mix with oil (2-stroke oil) to prevent overheating. The engine will burn those oil which is not acceptable for today standard.

I believe BMW solve the fuel burning problem sometimes ago by putting a valve on the exhaust port, but they never able to work around the lubricating problem. If you an engineer and able to solve it, you can bring 2-stroke back to the market

not so
    pure 2-stroke spirit

buy one from the states. I was THIS || close to getting one for track only about 5 years ago - didn't pan out. it would've been a sweet, sweet ride, tho.
    some convert them to 4 stroke singles from off-roaders - they put about the same HP but 2x the torque, so they become little rockets on short track circuits.
    where's the wind?!

picture worth thousand words. I guess gif worth at least a few thousands:

2-stroke in motion:

4-stroke in motion:

If this keep you excited, google and search the invention of exhaust expansion chamber. You will be amused and more appreciated the engineering behind a 2-stroke engine. If that make you a 2-stroke fever, add me as your friend.

not so
    pure 2-stroke spirit

If you want 2 stroke, then get a Yamaha Rz 350. Its a bit heavier than the 250, but it can have a lot more power.

thought rz350 is about 50hp, while RS250 make about 60hp?

not so
    pure 2-stroke spirit

Apparently 75hp at the crank 62hp at the wheel That sounds like fun!
    2005 Kawasaki z750s
    1980 Yamasaki ZXS650 "Lunatic Fringe"

Instructor for www.learningcurves.ca

I have one.

It is track only though.

I've seen, or at least I think i've seen one on the street, about 3 weeks ago in Etobicoke. Looked like http://dodrt.dod.no/004/images/rs250r.jpg from the quick glance. Props to you, if you are the owner reading this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkee View Post
    picture worth thousand words. I guess gif worth at least a few thousands:

2-stroke in motion:

4-stroke in motion:

If this keep you excited, google and search the invention of exhaust expansion chamber. You will be amused and more appreciated the engineering behind a 2-stroke engine. If that make you a 2-stroke fever, add me as your friend.
    Great exppanation. Thanks...

Just out of interst. When I was at Kahuna about 6 months ago. They were selling an Aprilla RS 125 with a street legal kit. I am assuming this is also a 2 stroke. I'm wondering what they did to make it street legal (emissions, safety, etc). If they can make the 125 legal for sale , I'm wondering why they cant do the same for the 250 version.

This is from Aprillia's web site about it meeting the Euro 2 standard.
    ENGINE
    The powerful but reliable, single cylinder, two stroke, Rotax-Aprilia engine needs no introduction. Over the years it has won a reputation for being unbeatable on the track and dependable on the road.
    Still today, this engine boasts technical solutions that are state-of-the-art for two strokes, including a crankcase reed valve intake, liquid cooling, an anti-vibration balancer shaft, and an automatic mixing system. The RS 125’s engine has been constantly updated over the years to keep in line with the latest emission control legislation without penalising performance. A catalytic converter and precision carburation has won Aprilia’s single cylinder two stroke homologation to Euro 3 standards. And the amazing thing is that this has been achieved without losing out on performance: the Aprilia RS 125 engine remains the reference point for all 125 cc powerplants.

General rule of thumb is a 2-stroke engine will make roughly twice the power of a 4-stroke of the same displacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazon
    N3WMAN is my ride
    2006 ZX-6R PART OUT