Storing a tank that's off the bike...

Thread: Storing a tank that's off the bike...

Storing a tank that's off the bike...

My bike is currently dead and tank is off, sitting on a shelf in the garage.
    Problem is, it leaks slightly from the valve that feeds the main line (keep in mind it's 20 years old)....so I was thinking, I'll just empty the tank until the bike is fixed, but this might be months/all winter.....

So do I leave the gas in, add some fuel stabilizer, deal with the leak....
    Or empty the tank ??? Is it gonna rust over the winter in the garage?

Re: Storing a tank that's off the bike...

Id leave it full and try to plug the leak....I have the same problem, actually have one in the parts room doing the same thing...I just use silicone plugs to plug the leak...

Can you empty it and use the gas in your car or snowblower and store the clean/empty tank in your basement?

Quote Originally Posted by ninjanewbie View Post
    Personally I would drain the leaking tank and spray the inside with a rust inhibiting oil. I do not like the smell of gas every time I go out into the garage.
    -----------------------------------------
    2006 FZ6
    2005 DL1000
    2005 Vulcan 500 - Sold

If the tank is stored in a temperature controlled location condensation will not happen and the tank will not rust much, even empty. I say much because if there are any breaks in the factory inner coating it may rust a little at that point (but really not much if at all).

The problem is when it is stored in an unheated garage, when the temp rises in the garage the tank will take longer to rise in temp and condensation will form on the inside of the tank rusting it. If the temp is constant (say heated garage or in a basement) no condensation!

Empty the fuel tank. It should be obvious that you don't want the sort of fire hazard that a leaking fuel tank represents when it's inside a closed space. If it's empty ... can't leak no more.

And also ... There are various treatments that can be done to coat the interior of fuel tanks to plug minor leaks and seal in the inside of the tank to stop the rusting that is almost certainly at fault for the leak. You need to drain the tank in order to apply those coatings. Add that to your winter project list. If you plan to do this, don't spray the tank with oil in the interim ... it'll stop your coating from sticking.

Your other option is to pour some 2-stroke oil into the empty tank, swish it around to ensure it coats it nicely on the inside. I'd probably then roll around the tank every now and then (once a month?). Come spring just empty it and no need to rinse - 2-stroke oil will burn nicely in the engine...
    derekz
    2000 VStar 650 Classic

Quote Originally Posted by ninjanewbie View Post
    My bike is currently dead and tank is off, sitting on a shelf in the garage.
    Problem is, it leaks slightly from the valve that feeds the main line (keep in mind it's 20 years old)....so I was thinking, I'll just empty the tank until the bike is fixed, but this might be months/all winter.....

Empty the tank. Let it sit for a few days with the cap open so vapours/fumes escape. Pull the pet cock so you can get it fixed/replaced over winter. Pour a cup of oil in it and turn it everywhich way for a few minutes so the oil covers the interior side. Close cap, tape over petcock hole, store in warm pace, put back on the spring with new pet cock. A leaky petcock could lead to hydraulic lock/bent con rods.

Rust inhibiting oil was mentioned a few times....any preference ?....just go to crappy tire and ask for "rust inhibiting oil" ?

Don't apply any oil, do what Brian P said. Empty it, let it vent until it's dry, then apply the appropriate sealant to the inside of the tank.
    There is no planet B.

Don't apply sealer to an old tank or even a new one. If it gets dented it's no longer a matter of just popping out the dent, as the sealer flakes off the inside and makes a mess of things. The sealer may cover over exisiting rust as well in a 20 year old tank that the etching, very toxic process by the way, misses. If the tank itself is leaking, get it fixed right. Use motor oil to seal the metal over the winter storage months. Simple, easy, effective.

go left, go right....seal, dont seal....
    I appreciate the help....but the tank don't leak, the pet cock does....
    So, I'm assuming emptying and coating with oil is ok...

put a piece of gas-line on the petcock & plug it

if its the valve that leaks, obviously leaving fuel in is a bad idea.
    I have used engine storing fogging spray and its sat 8 yrs with no problems, but I had some. For a season i would wd40 spray or coat with oil and roll the tank around.
    In spring I'd rinse with a coupe pints of high test gas (burnt up in my lawnmower) and then reinstall.