Tire Expiry Date

Thread: Tire Expiry Date

Tire Expiry Date

So I recently bought an extra set of rims for a really good deal, and it came with a set of barely used Dunlops that were manufactured sometime April 2003.

I personally won't be running these tires to avoid putting myself at risk. Because of this article.
    http://www.aa1car.com/library/tire_expire.htm

But then I start thinking about those bikes that are sold with low kilometers on them and are older than 2004. It's pretty likely those tires are OEM and are just as old as the bike. Do you guys think it's a good idea to keep in mind when purchasing such vehicles?
    I want to know your opinion, as I think this is a important safety issue that should be addressed for new riders and experienced riders alike.

Re: Tire Expiry Date

Of course it's important. Tires dry out and crack when they get older. Resulting in a huge decrease in performance and handling and enhancing the risk of tire damage. Aside from actual usage, ozone damage is also a great rubber killer if the bike was stored outdoors. Bikes that have been stored for a prolonged period of time may have tires with flat spots as well.

Technically speaking, the general industry guideline is that a tire should be replaced after 5 years of usage. It is also not recommended that you purchase new tires that are 3 years old or more.
    However, there are no official laws or regulations.
    If properly stored, the tire's life can be prolonged. Personally, I wouldn't use anything older than 10 years for a day even. 5-7 year old DOTs are usually the cut off for me, depending on the condition of the rubber.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

Thanks DemonPig for replying to my question, as I believe this is a very important issue. Your insight is very helpful!

Banned

Good find Takashi. How old are your new tires?

<>

DETERMINING TIRE DATE CODES
    How old are the tires on your vehicle? The date of manufacture is indicated by the last group of digits in the DOT manufacture code on the sidewall of the tire. The number is often stamped in a recessed rectangle. The DOT code tells who manufactured the tire, where it was made and when. The last group of digits in the code is the date code that tells when the tire was made.

Before 2000, the date code had three digits. Since 2000, it has had four. The first two digits are the week of the year (01 = the first week of January). The third digit (for tires made before 2000) is the year (1 = 1991). For most tires made after 2000, the third and fourth digits are the year (04 = 2004).

<>