streetcar tracks >.< Strategies?

Thread: streetcar tracks >.< Strategies?

Unhappy streetcar tracks >.< Strategies?

Hey folks, Just had a minor incident around a streetcar track. (Changing lanes and I fishtailed and dropped bike) Biggest injury is a sprained wrist and a bruised ego- thank god I was wearing full gear as road rash would have been not so fun!
    I must say, I try my best to avoid those tracks on rainy days, but this morning, it was probably due to some humidity. Personally I would prefer to avoid the tracks altogether or cross them perpendicularly whenever possible; but there are instances where I have no choice but to merge in or out of a streetcar track. I've handled them 1000's of times before, but this once it caught me by surprise!
    So I am wondering what you guys (and gals) do to minimize the danger around streetcar tracks. Are there better ways than others to cross them when you are parallel to the tracks?
    On a side note- is there a bike towing company that anyone recommends? The bike is downtown at the moment, and needs to get to Bathurst and front. I would normally call TO cycle, but since they are on the other side of town, I though to look more local.

Re: streetcar tracks >.< Strategies?

Inernobuster (toyhauler) is highly recommended around here (and a site supporter).

Glad to hear you are ok

You probably already know the basics:

1) Forget blocking position. Riding between the tracks is a common practice and where I personally put my bike

2) At intersections you'll experience curved or cross tracks. If you must brake, do it before the object, but you're better if travelling in a straight line with a slight increase in throttle to keep the front end light and up, closed throttle will make the bike front end heavy and more likely to track or follow.

3) Lane changes, do this under neutral or maintenance throttle, and try not to extend your time on the rail by moving at a good diagonal that will take you across it briskly.

4) Corners - choose your line, neutral throttle and off the brakes, if the bike follows a track, get ON the throttle, even slightly as it transfer weight to the rear and is more likely to push your front wheel out of the track. It takes practice.

5) WET rails and covers. - I avoid braking on top of them, as well I'm prepared for rear wheel spin as I pass over top the maintenance covers. Take it nice and slow through the intersections with gradual acceleration, lane change rules still apply, but now I'm extra cautious and aware of what I'm doing.

6) Lean angle - yeah, right. It's your bike, tell us all how low you got before you slid out.

Ask how much the hook up fee is as that's where you'll save money, as your kilometres are really low.

I'm really sorry to hear you went down, and hope you're able to ride it again soon.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Thanks! This is exactly the type of advice I was looking for. The first two I was already doing, but it helps to know when to blip the throttle and when not to!

To be honest I have no clue how "low" I went before I wiped out... It happened so fast! Nothing major in terms of repair so should be back on the road in no time; convincing my partner that riding is still safe and worth it, that might take a little longer!

Thanks for the towing advice from the both of you.

That last point wasn't directed at you, but more towards the guys who pretend the street is a track and push it to the limits.

From your description I might guess that you might have been too shallow an angle while crossing, and in the cold and damp used brake or throttle while doing it.

How warm were your tires? Ten or fifteen minutes?

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

thanks for clarifying about the angling! lol Yes, my tires were warm, driven for about 25 minutes by then. I take it cold tires are bad for this. That said I should probably also adapt my tire pressure when riding in the spring/fall...

Thanks for going into detail about the throttle/brake and how it impacts the weight of the bike. It makes it much easier to understand the physics involved! I hope others can benefit from your answer.
    ride safe.

another perfect reason why mayor ford should eliminate that 40 year old electric train off the streets.

another reason? what other reasons are you talking about? and replace them with what? streetcars are the cleanest vehicles in public transport, and there are tons of other benefits they offer over other alternative modes of public transport. The moral of this experience, as correctly interpreted by the OP, is to learn how to ride over them... geez....
    derekz
    2000 VStar 650 Classic

lol well I now must use the streetcar to get to work during the winter... Oh the irony! Love em, hate em... still need em!