slipper clutch - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: slipper clutch

Re: slipper clutch

Quote Originally Posted by akabek View Post
    I am not an expert on slipper clutches but I have to believe there is a way to adjust them so you can change the amount of slippage. I just had a STM installed and when I come into a corner I gear down and only use my front break to slow down. My current setup does not allow for any engine breaking.
    STM's are EASILY adjustable, as are most(any I've seen) others.

The STM is probably the best/most simple on the market however.

Your current setup allows SOME engine braking, if not, the bike would freewheel when you get off the gas(like pulling in the clutch all the way).

This is where the problem lies with much of this componentry, people install it and never touch it.

"I HAVE A SLIPPER CLUTCH" can mean a lot of things.

Quote Originally Posted by akabek View Post
    I am not an expert on slipper clutches but I have to believe there is a way to adjust them so you can change the amount of slippage. I just had a STM installed and when I come into a corner I gear down and only use my front break to slow down. My current setup does not allow for any engine breaking.
    We are in the same boat, I know of a Slipper clutch, but i don't know the mechanics behind it. My comments are just based on my track experience this year.

When you say your setup does not allow for engine braking, i'm slightly puzzled. I totally agree that your front brake is how you should prepare for a corner entry. But engine braking is needed not to slow you down, but mesh your back tire rotation to your high engine RPM.

When I think of engine braking I consider it a by product for a smooth corner entry and the ability to have the RPM's high for a good exit.
    2009 Kawi ZX6r Ninja Monster Energy Edition
    2009 Kawi EX650

I just started riding track this summer. Prior to the slipper I was using the engine and front brake prior to corner entry. Now that I have a slipper it does not feel like the engine is doing much to slow me down but I am sure it does...a little. Now I rely heavily on my front wheel brake to slow down. But this is personal preference. You could adjust your slipper to allow for more engine braking to slow you down.

I find a slipper a nice to have. I got away with blipping the throttle to compensate with gearing down for most of the summer. It was not until the end of the day where I got lazy or tired that I would gear down and my rear tire would lock up. Now I have one less thing to deal with if my throttle hand is not in sync.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Whoever you were talking to about this hasn't got a clue, or you're not interpreting the information correctly.
    I am sure I am not interpreting correctly as I cannot do it...

Throttle control has NOTHING to do with this process, the throttle is closed at this time.
    Yes, I understand it is closed through downshifting. But open through cornering with some clutch control...that what I was told... Currently I approach to apex only with trail braking, my throttle is closed until apex and clutch is not touched, then I open throttle at apex. But he said I could keep opening throttle with clutch control to keep power to rear wheel throughout cornering.

About Lowside - I am just afraid of having wheel locking when leaning toward to turn. With slipper, I should be able to downshift quickly and much closer to turning point at higher speed.(comparing to what I am used to without slipper) If rear wheel locks even slightly, I could slide easily as I would be already in leaning position toward to corner... that is what I am afraid of. Probably it is nothing for an experienced racer but I am new for road race and trying to learn more.

Appreciate your input.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    The rear slides not infrequently, but it never chatters. I still have to get the back end to settle before i can turn it in in a few corners, however this is a byproduct of hard braking and completely unloading the rear of the bike... it's not related to downshifting. If you are threshold braking with approxamately zero weight on the rear tire, then no slipper clutch in the world is going to help you.
    Thanks for your post. I am going to try harder tomorrow at TMP and hopefully I can learn a thing or two.

Quote Originally Posted by kamenrider View Post
    I am sure I am not interpreting correctly as I cannot do it...

Yes, I understand it is closed through downshifting. But open through cornering with some clutch control...that what I was told... Currently I approach to apex only with trail braking, my throttle is closed until apex and clutch is not touched, then I open throttle at apex. But he said I could keep opening throttle with clutch control to keep power to rear wheel throughout cornering.
    This is also incorrect.

After corner entry, you should not be touching the clutch at all.

The information you were given is VERY wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by kamenrider View Post

About Lowside - I am just afraid of having wheel locking when leaning toward to turn. With slipper, I should be able to downshift quickly and much closer to turning point at higher speed.(comparing to what I am used to without slipper) If rear wheel locks even slightly, I could slide easily as I would be already in leaning position toward to corner... that is what I am afraid of. Probably it is nothing for an experienced racer but I am new for road race and trying to learn more.

Appreciate your input.
    You're making a few mistakes and getting some very bad advice

You should do all your shifting/braking while straight up and down, then turn the bike in.

VERY little time is made up piling into a corner on the brakes, you'll gain much more by slowing your entry to the corner and making your exit count by getting on the gas sooner and harder.

Bikes don't turn or steer very well on the brakes, the chassis will work MUCH better when you get off the brakes and start to apply power, even if its very little power.

if the wheel locks(it won't) while you turn in, you're not going to lowside, the tire will stay hooked up with the slipper clutch..

With your slipper clutch installed, your wheel is not locking, its just spinning at a slower speed than the speed the rest of the bike is traveling at.

This is why getting your braking down while you're straight up and down and then getting back on the gas early helps as it will prevent/eliminate the issue you're concerned about.

Great advise. Many thanks! I am willing to learn and try as I am a newbie.(although I am old...) Will see what I can achieve tomorrow. I just need sunshine...

I wouldn't recommend it tomorrow.

Its going to be pretty damn cold.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX600 View Post

Come on, tell the truth, he sold you that used tire didn't he?
    Here, I took a pic for you to eliminate any doubts

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post

jokes hahaha
    "Bro... it's an exotic..."

SOAR Novice #37

Tire warmers will not do much good tomorrow... tires get cold again quickly. Perhaps, just straight and downshifting practice... ah, remember FAST PH 1 practice... well, it is better than curving pumpkins at home.

The weather is all over the place...I was not planning to go but now they are calling for 13 degrees and only 30% POP...considering the time of year that is not bad

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post

You grammar's a little off but I agree, ZX600 Rules bike & girl.
    There is no planet B.

What is this tire supposed to be showing??

Around here I hear "Show me your rear tire" is synonymous with "Whip it out"...?
    "Bro... it's an exotic..."

SOAR Novice #37

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    You grammar's a little off but I agree, ZX600 Rules bike & girl.
    If you're going to make fun of someone's grammar, you should at least make sure yours is up to par!

I'm wondering the same thing...
    He's using scrubs for street riding maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Rossi86 View Post
    If you're going to make fun of someone's grammar, you should at least make sure yours is up to par!
    ~ whooooosh ~
    There is no planet B.

Ok, so you are shifting the conversation from an ignorant statement that you made and can't not back up because you don't know what u are talking about into the tire joke? I said it before the tire wasn't relevant.

I am not the one feels the need to take a pic of their tire, you are.

I do wish I rode like some girls on this forum, but as my previous comment said, let's go for a little lap together next year
    Last edited by ZX600; 10-30-2010 at 01:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    ~ whooooosh ~
    No worries I got your joke, lol
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services