slipper clutch

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: slipper clutch

slipper clutch

hi everyone,
    i just wanted to know how much difference does having a slipper clutch make?
    i have never ridden a bike with slipper clutch and wanted to get everyone's opinion...
    as far as i know, the CBR600s don't have slipper clutch, anyone know why that is?
    i like the cbr600 over the zx6r but don't know if CBR's lack of slipper clutch is gonna be an issue?

thanks

Re: slipper clutch

What year cbr and what year zx6r's??

Slipper clutch = you can downshift really aggressively.

What is this bike being used for? just street? --> then it shouldn't matter if you have a slipper or not...

Any ZX6R after 03 have a slipper clutch. CBRs I believe didn't get a full slipper clutch until 08 (at least the 1000)and 09 for the 600 (don't quote me on it)

I wouldn't go as far as saying that you do not need a slipper clutch on the street, but I guess is a question of preference. Even the gf locks her back wheel downshifting on her 250 without a slipper clutch.

I know I wouldn't ride without it but I do ride aggressively.
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

If you have never had a slipper clutch you won't miss what you never had. The slipper reduces the chance of your rear wheel locking up if you do not blip the throttle enough while gearing down. It comes down to managing your throttle with your clutch. I had a STM slipper put on my 08 CBR600RR track bike but I don't ride my street bike like my track bike.

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    What year cbr and what year zx6r's??

Slipper clutch = you can downshift really aggressively.

What is this bike being used for? just street? --> then it shouldn't matter if you have a slipper or not...

09 CBR and 09 zx6r
    the bike is gonna be used for street...nothing too aggressive
    although i really like the CBRs, i also like the idea of having the extra help of a slipper clutch ...and i just cant understand why the 09 cbr600 doesn't offer slipper clutch when most other 600s started adding this option around 03 or so ...
    zx6r is an amazing looking bike too but i like the under tail exhaust on the CBR...so i am contemplating if i should go with the bike that i like which is the CBR and do without the slipper clutch or get the zx6r and have the slipper clutch

another question: does this mean a bike with a slipper clutch will never have a rear wheel lock?

The intention is to prevent rear wheel lock but never say never. I would not base the decision on a slipper clutch...buy the bike that feels the most comfortable to you.

The slipper clutch automatically matches RPM speeds between the rear wheel and engine while downshifting: no blipping throttle required.

It's pretty awesome (I have it on my 06 R6) and would give a thumbs up to anyone wanting to get one. It's especially fun on the track, and as mentioned above: you can really downshift aggressively. Dump the clutch and go
    The funk. The jive. The boogie. The rock and roll.

I've got a slipper clutch on my zx10 and I think I may have used it once. The need for a slipper clutch on the street is so minimal I wouldn't let it sway your decision on buying a bike for the street or even the track as it can always be added if you need it. If you can down shift properly you'll never need it on the road and if you do your probably riding harder than you should be or trying to gear down way too fast.

Nice to have but wouldn't sway my decision on a street only bike. I have a bike with one and yes I do use it, I can ride a bike without one as fast as the speed limits in my subdivision allows.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX600 View Post
    Any ZX6R after 03 have a slipper clutch. CBRs I believe didn't get a full slipper clutch until 08 (at least the 1000)and 09 for the 600 (don't quote me on it)
    After 04...... Only the 03/04 ZX6RR had slipper cluthces the ZX6R(636) didnt get them till 05

The 06 gsxr's were probably one of the first manufactures to make them standard. I love it. I can gear down really fast without blipping the throttle. Coming from a sv650s it is great. The sv used to lock up the rear tire all the time if I didn't match the rpms on downshifting. Scared the crap out of me when I was new. For the track because of the aggressive riding.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by strictlye View Post
    The 06 gsxr's were probably one of the first manufactures to make them standard. I love it. I can gear down really fast without blipping the throttle.
    Kawasaki has had them in production since the late 80's in the ZX7

Kawasaki was also the first to offer it in a 600 in 2003, Yamaha/suzuki offered it 3 years later, honda still does not(and does not plan to, as they feel its not a requirement for a streetbike)

Quote Originally Posted by strictlye View Post
    The 06 gsxr's were probably one of the first manufactures to make them standard. I love it. I can gear down really fast without blipping the throttle. Coming from a sv650s it is great. The sv used to lock up the rear tire all the time if I didn't match the rpms on downshifting. Scared the crap out of me when I was new. For the track because of the aggressive riding.
    The slipper clutch trend was set by Kawi bro, the 03 ZX6RR was the first production 600 to get one from the factory....By 05 it was standard on both the ZX6RR(600) and ZX6R(636).....Same with USD forks and radial mount brakes, standard since 03

I would recommend it to anyone.

I have on on my 06 636 and absolutely love it. Bike was street mostly, then street and track and it has been a godsend.

Quote Originally Posted by drawmatic View Post
    hi everyone,
    i like the cbr600 over the zx6r but don't know if CBR's lack of slipper clutch is gonna be an issue?
    thanks
    No. You can get the same results by feathering the clutch on downshift. You can also blip the throttle, it's a little more engaging to ride but also more rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX600 View Post
    I wouldn't go as far as saying that you do not need a slipper clutch on the street, but I guess is a question of preference. Even the gf locks her back wheel downshifting on her 250 without a slipper clutch.

I know I wouldn't ride without it but I do ride aggressively.
    Your gf needs to learn how to downshift...
    Last edited by fsilva_mcl; 10-27-2010 at 10:33 AM.
    "Bro... it's an exotic..."

SOAR Novice #37

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    After 04...... Only the 03/04 ZX6RR had slipper cluthces the ZX6R(636) didnt get them till 05
    Told you not to quote me on it dammm it

Quote Originally Posted by fsilva_mcl View Post
    No. You can get the same results by feathering the clutch on downshift. You can also blip the throttle, it's a little more engaging to ride but also more rewarding.

Her first season so yes but it would have been way easier for her if her bike had one, I was trying to adress the OP question about the need vs the nice to have using her example.

I am glad you edited your last comment. The fact I prefer to have a slipper clutch does not mean I couldn't ride without one...maybe you are a little crancky this morning
    Last edited by ZX600; 10-27-2010 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fsilva_mcl View Post

You can feather the clutch but its not the same, the point is the slipper allows you do drop mulitiple gears without having to even think of rev matching or feathering your clutch. Feathering you clutch to act like a slipper isnt as easy as it sounds, it will take some learning. A slipper doesnt its fool proof....This was very valuable on the track, not so much on the street but still handy

On the track I was passing everyone on the brakes, or should I say on the slipper...Id stay on the gas longer on the straights and drop 2 gears and duck in under people who were still breaking and or downshifting. The slipper allowed me to do this without upsetting the chassis or using the brakes too much...

That being said if youve never experienced rear wheel chatter on the street or the track, your not riding hard enough to activate a slipper clutch...In that case even if you have it, you wouldnt use it...
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 10-27-2010 at 10:52 AM.

[QUOTE=ZX600;1433452]Her first season so yes but it would have been way easier for her if her bike had one, I was trying to adress the OP question about the need vs the nice to have using her example.

I think long term anyone that learns to ride without slipper benefit will be a better and safer rider, you learn with slipper clutch,ABS,traction control, and this includes cars, then borrow a ride, get a rental or go off roading on holiday and loose the crutches and your cooked.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Kawasaki has had them in production since the late 80's in the ZX7

Kawasaki was also the first to offer it in a 600 in 2003, Yamaha/suzuki offered it 3 years later, honda still does not(and does not plan to, as they feel its not a requirement for a streetbike)
    Damn Suzuki dealer swindled me. I thought my bike was special
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg