Riding with a dog.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Riding with a dog.

Riding with a dog.

So, I had occasion on Saturday to pick up a friend of mine and her dog to head for a quick ride across town. I wasnt sure of it was illegal or not, but I knew the dog and owner really well and was confident it was not going to be a problem. Anyone know if this is in fact illegal? At no time was my driving impaired as a result of the extra passenger. The dog, incidentally, loved it.
    Current bike - 2008 Vulcan 900c

Re: Riding with a dog.

Did the dog have a helmet?
    no = illegal.

A friend of mine is a police officer and he rode for years with a little chihuaha on his waist in a little pouch. I don't think he ever ran into problems with that. But that was a very small dog.
    Lets Ride

Quote Originally Posted by RicoChet View Post
    A friend of mine is a police officer and he rode for years with a little chihuaha on his waist in a little pouch. I don't think he ever ran into problems with that. But that was a very small dog.
    He is a cop, rules don't apply to him, he is above the law.

I don't know the answer but I've been waiting to use this image for a very long time!
    Current:
    2001 EX500

Previous:
    2007 CBR125R (1 season)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhacide View Post
    So, I had occasion on Saturday to pick up a friend of mine and her dog to head for a quick ride across town. I wasnt sure of it was illegal or not, but I knew the dog and owner really well and was confident it was not going to be a problem. Anyone know if this is in fact illegal? At no time was my driving impaired as a result of the extra passenger. The dog, incidentally, loved it.
    Is she not old enough to go out without a chaperone? Or was the dog there to keep an eye on you?

Quote Originally Posted by LeetViet View Post
    I don't know the answer but I've been waiting to use this image for a very long time!
    Nice

Quote Originally Posted by leetviet View Post
    i don't know the answer but i've been waiting to use this image for a very long time!
    lol, ahahaha
    Vivere est vincere

I always ride with my dogs...

I've crossed borders with mine on the bike, and she's been past state troopers, customs officials, OPP (they grinned and laughed), Metro and York Regional police.

While I take care never to race horses furiously on public highways, I'm sure they could charge me with something if they cared to.

Make sure the dog is secured, as there have been times when even an experienced riding dog may want to leave the bike while at a light or even in motion.

At a stop a car of teenaged girls with high squeeky voices had Suzi Bandit up and trying to get a whole lot closer to them, and on the two lane Route 2 in the states, so older diesel trucks that spew filth into the air had her recoiling from their blast and exhaust fumes.

My dog rides in a harness that is clipped to me restricting her movement. She can move eight inches and even fall off the bike.

If you ride with them in front of you, you really have to learn to ignore them and concentrate your full attention on riding, so knowing they are safe and secure helps with this.

She's got over 9,000 kilometres under her belt over the past two years, having been out to Prince Edward Island and return twice over. That's more than some riders on this forum.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

muahaha..... cant get rid of image of "a cop with a chihuaha on his waist in a little pouch"

I have ridden with my mom's shitzu in a baby harness on my chest. She fell asleep riding along at 90 kmh for an hr.
    One of my Jack Russells loves to ride in the car/truck, and I have been thinking of adapting a hard luggage case to my back seat and cutting a hole in it for her head, so she can see and move around but not get out.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Thanks for the responses. Who knew it would be that common. The dog in question is about the size of the dog in that photo, and was well seated in between me and the passenger, if anyone.s curious.

Ronnie 9k with a dog is pretty impressive, and hilarious.
    Current bike - 2008 Vulcan 900c

!!!!!!!!!

Just came to say that this is the best thread ever. I am squealing with delight and clapping my hands like a moron over here. I love it!!

Quote Originally Posted by LeetViet View Post
    California plates, doesn't count :P

I've thought about having a dog on the bike but wouldn't the wind, engine and exhaust noise hurt their ears?

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    I have ridden with my mom's shitzu in a baby harness on my chest. She fell asleep riding along at 90 kmh for an hr.
    One of my Jack Russells loves to ride in the car/truck, and I have been thinking of adapting a hard luggage case to my back seat and cutting a hole in it for her head, so she can see and move around but not get out.
    Sorry this sounds really funny. lol I am picturing your puppy in gear.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

Yes, it does. As with humans I suspect that I'm doing permanent damage to her long term hearing. We'll make quite the pair in later life, a grey muzzled puppy that you have to yell at, and a grey haired Man that has to yell so he hears what he's said.

The Doggles she wears were available here in Toronto from Neo Paws, and I'd really recommend fitting them to the dog in store, as they usually need a proper fit to work as designed, and she hates the tint, and has become proficient in knocking them off if we stop too long.

As for ear protection, I feel guilty about it, but not enough to stop riding with her.

Quote Originally Posted by mroberto View Post
    I've thought about having a dog on the bike but wouldn't the wind, engine and exhaust noise hurt their ears?
    This is the sweet spot, spoiled air coming over the handguard on the clutch side... Least amount of ear flappage, for speeds 80kph and less.

Sweet spot - different angle

She got brave this year and started surfing the tank, front legs on the tankbag, rear legs remain in the bag and bracing forward in her harness.

Streamlined for sniffing while on the superslab

Superslab, another angle.

Tucked in and trying to sleep on a Thumper. "Are we there yet?"

Honestly, the only time I know she hates the ride is when she's tucked up in the bag, but then we get moments like this:

Sharing a breakfast of corned beef hash in Rumford Centre ME

Her friends Abbey and Zip Zip greet her at my sister's, Kelly's Cross PEI.

Oops, I almost forgot the full body rain suit that I bought as well. A wet dog sucks, but a cold and wet dog is cruelty.

It really changes your riding, as I take significantly fewer risks with her on board then when I'm alone. I really limit my risk when riding with her along, but then I'm sure Buddhacide knows what I mean.
    Last edited by Rotten_Ronnie; 10-28-2010 at 10:28 PM.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Lol thanks for posting that, awesome pics

oh my gosh those are the cutest pics ever
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806