Multi Purpose Boots?

Thread: Multi Purpose Boots?

Multi Purpose Boots?

Hi all,
    I'm a n00b, going for my license this weekend. I'm hoping to find a Yamaha TW200 in the next couple of weeks. Currently, I'm stocking up on the basic gear I'll need to get started and I'm wondering if y'all have any recommendations on boots for the casual rider.

I'm thinking some sort of multi-purpose boot to get started with...when I start riding more I'll definitely invest in some proper dual sport boots. I thought something like Caterpillar Propane boots might be a good start, but they don't have ankle protection. Any other suggestions would be hugely appreciated!

http://img.wolverineworldwide.com/is...&fmt=png-alpha

Brian
    Toronto

Re: Multi Purpose Boots?

Buy proper riding boots (with ankle support). Beg or borrow to get the money. Try something like newenough.com to get better prices. Being on crutches for months is not worth it. The vast majority of steel toe boots do not have nearly enough support. Picture laying your leg on its side and having someone hit you in the ankle with a hammer (representing a bike if it happens in real life). If the boots make you cringe at the thought, you need to buy better boots.

It doesn't matter if you ride 100km/yr or 100,000km/yr, when you go down, the more protection you have, the faster you can get back up. Being a casual rider doesn't lessen the need for good gear.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    Buy proper riding boots (with ankle support). Beg or borrow to get the money. Try something like newenough.com to get better prices. Being on crutches for months is not worth it. The vast majority of steel toe boots do not have nearly enough support. Picture laying your leg on its side and having someone hit you in the ankle with a hammer (representing a bike if it happens in real life). If the boots make you cringe at the thought, you need to buy better boots.

It doesn't matter if you ride 100km/yr or 100,000km/yr, when you go down, the more protection you have, the faster you can get back up. Being a casual rider doesn't lessen the need for good gear.
    I like the grousomness in your answer, puts your point across very well!
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

you can find the FOX TRACKER under $200
    BTW get normal 250cc bike (or 200cc 2T)
    cheers

Construction boots are much better start than running shoes, for darned sure.

I've had get offs in riding boots, mx boots and contruction boots. It'd say the mx boots protected me the best, but I'd certainly not wear them commuting back and forth to school or work.

You'll have trouble feeling the shifter with a steel toe at first, so they're discouraged on the safety course.

He does have a point about ankle protection, as I had a tiny low speed drop in Sheet Harbour Nova Scotia, while stopping to take a picture. I used too much front brake on what I thought was hard packed dirt when it fact it was stiff mud, and next thing I knew the bike was lying on top of my riding boot, firmly holding my foot in place with the grab bar. I limped for a day after that one.

Have a quick look in the Royal Distributing catalogue, and you may find something like the Thor boot which is essentially a low cut mx boot. My buddy wears them when touring and likes them, but they're not waterproof.

Check out the Honda CRF 230 as it's a better bike than the TW.

Cheers.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

I wouldn't go the low cut boot if it is ankle protection you are after, they only do a half *** job. Spend the $$ and buy a full boot. Look into either Spidi, Dainese, Spyke (I have the Totem's, their amazing), Alpinestars or Teknic (Best protection for the buck). All have good low to high end range boots. If money is too tight, go with either Teknic Chicanes ($150, online) or Alpinestars SMX ($200+). Riding pants would be advisable as well, you don't have to go with leathers, you can get jeans from Shift for about $80 at Royal Distributing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    Construction boots are much better start than running shoes, for darned sure.

I've had get offs in riding boots, mx boots and contruction boots. It'd say the mx boots protected me the best, but I'd certainly not wear them commuting back and forth to school or work.

You'll have trouble feeling the shifter with a steel toe at first, so they're discouraged on the safety course.

He does have a point about ankle protection, as I had a tiny low speed drop in Sheet Harbour Nova Scotia, while stopping to take a picture. I used too much front brake on what I thought was hard packed dirt when it fact it was stiff mud, and next thing I knew the bike was lying on top of my riding boot, firmly holding my foot in place with the grab bar. I limped for a day after that one.

Have a quick look in the Royal Distributing catalogue, and you may find something like the Thor boot which is essentially a low cut mx boot. My buddy wears them when touring and likes them, but they're not waterproof.

Check out the Honda CRF 230 as it's a better bike than the TW.

Cheers.
    2006 Yamaha FZ6 FTW!

Check out my website!
    http://www.studiofg.ca

I stand by what I said. If the OP said he was going to be doing only offroad then I'd recommend mx boots.

I'm slanted toward dual sport with an emphasis on touring. That being said, I have four sets of boots in the closet that cover my needs. A set for the track, a set for offroad, a set for touring in inclement weather, and a set for riding and walking around all day long, and will probably add a fifth set this fall.

The mx boots and the track boots provide the best protection. The touring boots, the best protection from the elements and have been crash tested on the highway at speed against a deer, saving my ankle.

I was wearing the low cut ankle boots when I dropped in Nova Scotia, and when I started riding offroad I was wearing touring boots because a) I couldn't afford a pair of mx boots, and b) I didn't know how damned good they are in protecting your feet, ankles and shins in serious get offs.

What's the budget and type of riding the OP wants to do?

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Get a pair of actual moto x boots if thats what your doing. My gf got a pair of alpinestars I don't remember what model but they were the bottom of the line and have lasted awhile. Get knee/shin pads too they fill out the boot but add protection. If your riding off road you want somthing that protects your whole lower leg foot pegs are fing sharp and guaranteed you'll get a branch flung up and it'll smack you good.