Frame Sliders

Thread: Frame Sliders

Frame Sliders

So after having now dropped my bike twice (both stupidly my own fault), today I finally decided to get some frame sliders installed on the 250. For less than $200 installed, those would have saved my fairings, or at least reduced the damage significantly. Probably at least wouldn't have wound up with the (small) cracks in my side fairing, or the scrapes in the paint.

For anyone else who's been debating the validity of installing these things, consider this: most fairings will cost you more than the frame-sliders would, not to mention any labour costs involved if you have them installed at a dealership. I was quoted something in the range of $600 installed for the upper front fairing, and around $400-500 for the side fairing (separately quoted... I think the labour was around $150-200 on each of those.)

On the plus side, next season I plan on getting new fairings, exhaust, and Double Bubble windshield, and fixing everything up properly. Gonna be like a whole new bike all over again.

Re: Frame Sliders

why would you pay a stealership to install fairings?

$200 seems like seriously expensive frame sliders. Is extra hardware needed for the 250 or something?
    Mark H.
    06 ZX-14

i paid 140 for my sliders.. still waiting on them. should be getting them.. friday i think but im installing tghem myself so im sure i save there

When I first got my bike this season, the salesman suggested me to install framesliders, which were a bit expensive. Fortunately, he didn't manage to get those frame sliders by the time I got to pick up my new bike (in April). I was seeking for a way to install less expensive FS during first 3000k... but being lazy... Now I'm very close to 20 000k mark and I don't care

Quote Originally Posted by slogan View Post
    I was seeking for a way to install less expensive FS during first 3000k... but being lazy... Now I'm very close to 20 000k mark and I don't care
    I guess as you grow more confident on the bike you simply don't think you would drop it, therefore no use for frame sliders. However when you do drop it, you'll be kicking yourself in the head for not installing them.

Take the best precautions you could to protect your investment and FS def. do that.
    Mina

Frame sliders are very easy to install Tek. All you need to do is remove the fairing, have a torque wrench to bolt the bracket where it's suggested, put the fairings back on and screw the slider puck into that bracket you installed. I dont think you should be spending more than 100 bucks.. I bought my T-Rex sliders for like $80 I think? Im not too sure.. lol

Anyways, I say do it yourself. You'll have fun installing them. =)

Banned

Ice talked to that guy that was on Jason Britton's TV show, Super Bikes. Freestyle Ingenuity is his company. He's developed a "mini-cage" now which offers much more protection than sliders. I had a chat with him over the fear of a knee dragging, peg scraping corner, and he said he's had no problems with the cage digging in or bottoming out in deep cornering. I'm ordering the mini-cage over straight frame sliders. Here's his website:

http://www.freestyleingenuity.com/site/index.php
    Last edited by Ice Pic; 10-27-2010 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TekNinja81 View Post
    So after having now dropped my bike twice (both stupidly my own fault), today I finally decided to get some frame sliders installed on the 250. For less than $200 installed, those would have saved my fairings, or at least reduced the damage significantly. Probably at least wouldn't have wound up with the (small) cracks in my side fairing, or the scrapes in the paint.

For anyone else who's been debating the validity of installing these things, consider this: most fairings will cost you more than the frame-sliders would, not to mention any labour costs involved if you have them installed at a dealership. I was quoted something in the range of $600 installed for the upper front fairing, and around $400-500 for the side fairing (separately quoted... I think the labour was around $150-200 on each of those.)

On the plus side, next season I plan on getting new fairings, exhaust, and Double Bubble windshield, and fixing everything up properly. Gonna be like a whole new bike all over again.
    what sliders did you end up getting??

More importantly, did they work well!?

Hey, Just wanted to add that Yes the frame slider for the 08+ Ninja 250s are a little more expensive than the more common 600+ sport bikes. $150 is right there in the range, These sliders cost more due to the bracket set up required on the 250.

As for paying $200+ for Re and Re, A bit steep but then again dealerships will and can charge more. Over the past season I'v installed fairings and sliders on at least 10 250s with an price range between $50-100.

I bought frame sliders for 130bucks. They were super easy to install...didnt even need to remove the fairing.
    They work well, i went down at 60km/hr last week and the bike slid on its side for 25 feet, although i broke my hand and rib the bike had a couple minor scratches on the bottom fairing but the painted ones were fine.
    The frame slider was bent and toast but well worth it.

Frame sliders and their benefits aren't anything new.....

I paid like 69 bucks for both woodcrafts and vortex sliders and installed them in 5 minutes

brool story co

So after having now dropped my bike twice (both stupidly my own fault),
    You have a brand new bike and you dropped it twice already, and now you are focusing on the wrong thing, frame sliders, focus instead on how you ride and stop going down.
    Last edited by The Road Warrior; 10-30-2010 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    I paid like 69 bucks for both woodcrafts and vortex sliders and installed them in 5 minutes

brool story co
    you should hook this up for your new ride
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnyhkBU1yaw
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by The Road Warrior View Post
    You have a brand new bike and you dropped it twice already, and now you are focusing on the wrong thing, frame sliders, focus instead on how you ride and stop going down.
    There is nothing wrong with having the extra protection for the bike, "focusing on the wrong thing" or not. Those two times were my mistake and I am well aware of it, but there may be a time consequences are out of my control, and I would rather be prepared for those times.

Are you saying if I were "focused" on my riding, I wouldn't need protective gear either?

There is nothing wrong with having the extra protection for the bike, "focusing on the wrong thing" or not. Those two times were my mistake and I am well aware of it, but there may be a time consequences are out of my control, and I would rather be prepared for those times.

Are you saying if I were "focused" on my riding, I wouldn't need protective gear either?
    I wasn't trying to be a dick, but I was just saying that if you were more careful you would have avoided going down, at least those two times. Ofcourse **** can still happen, but lessen it as much as you can, stay "sharp" out there and you can go on for years without ever going down.
    Last edited by The Road Warrior; 10-30-2010 at 01:33 PM.

I dont know about you guys but when i went down earlier this season my sliders did absolutely squat. it just broke off and ended up cracking the fairing where it was installed which prob wouldnt have happened if it wasnt installed. So they cost me money and prob did more damage to my bike then if they werent installed. Mind you I was going about 50kmh when i went down and i know that sliders can catch the road and flip the bike and what not (what ive heard). I was ******. Collar bone broken and right side of bike all messed up. S****y day all around!
    2004 Kawi zx6r

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

Quote Originally Posted by S_D View Post
    I dont know about you guys but when i went down earlier this season my sliders did absolutely squat. it just broke off and ended up cracking the fairing where it was installed which prob wouldnt have happened if it wasnt installed. So they cost me money and prob did more damage to my bike then if they werent installed. Mind you I was going about 50kmh when i went down and i know that sliders can catch the road and flip the bike and what not (what ive heard). I was ******. Collar bone broken and right side of bike all messed up. S****y day all around!
    It depends what kind of sliders you have. The typical sliders that are sort of cylindrical are not meant to protect your bike from a wipe-out. It's mostly designed for drops. Some sliders do more harm than good when they get binned because of where they're mounted.