Lost my keys! What do I do? Please Help

Thread: Lost my keys! What do I do? Please Help

Lost my keys! What do I do? Please Help

Hey guys,

I somehow lost my keys today, luckily I didn't lock the front wheel and was able to walk it home.

The spare set that was cut for me a couple months ago wasn't done right and I haven't been able to get back to get it fixed.

What do I do now?

Re: Lost my keys! What do I do? Please Help

Quote Originally Posted by Asixx View Post
    Hey guys,

I somehow lost my keys today, luckily I didn't lock the front wheel and was able to walk it home.

The spare set that was cut for me a couple months ago wasn't done right and I haven't been able to get back to get it fixed.

What do I do now?

find the keys.....
    sorry couldnt help myself

dunno if this is the same way with bikes, but with a car u should be able to walk into a dealership and get them to cut you a key, think u have to provide ur ownership to them,

Did you save the little metal tag that came with your original keys, or at least write the number on it down? If so, then you can order another key by number.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

If you didn't write down the key code or save one of the tags on the original keys. Take a look near the steering column (not sure of the tehnical name) just behind where you put your key in to turn on the bike. On some bikes you can see a set of numbers that should be the same as the key code tag.

If you do find the key code you can order a set of new keys from the dealer.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by 250R-ICE View Post
    If you didn't write down the key code or save one of the tags on the original keys. Take a look near the steering column (not sure of the tehnical name) just behind where you put your key in to turn on the bike. On some bikes you can see a set of numbers that should be the same as the key code tag.

If you do find the key code you can order a set of new keys from the dealer.

good luck
    Don't you think if it was that easy, a whole lot of thieves would wander around, write down numbers, and return to collect bikes at will?
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

dunno about that, but i do know it's damn easy to bypass the ignition switch...

Yea - the Dealer can set you up with new keys / ignition if necessary - as long as all you paperwork is in order.

Otherwise, as mentioned above, it's pretty easy to hotwire.

Quote Originally Posted by Asixx View Post
    Hey guys,

What do I do now?
    Try lifting the spare key up a little while turning it. Most of the problems with replacement keys are in the shoulder cut. The key either goes in too far or not far enough to line up properly. If lifting doesn't help, try filing back the shoulder so it goes in further.

A good lock smith can pick your gas cap, and get 5 out of the 6 ignition tumblers from that. Then the last one will only take a few minutes to figure out...My locksmith charges about $120-150 for this, and he comes to your location and does it on the spot...PM me for his info if your interested. I had this done about 3 weeks ago and it only took 20-30min

Quote Originally Posted by klr_guy View Post
    Don't you think if it was that easy, a whole lot of thieves would wander around, write down numbers, and return to collect bikes at will?
    The key code has to be cross referenced by the manufacturers to get the actual key cut, its not the same numbers...They obviously arent going to make it that easy!

Unfortunately it is that easy...The key code for the Ninjas are behind the steering column. The numbers do match the key tags.

The dealer won't (or shouldn't) order you a set without first verifying the ownership first. It does take some time for the keys to come in from the manufacturer also. So it's not like someone can just walk in buy a set of keys and go steal a bike.

Another thing most people don't realize...The bike maunfacturers only make a limited amount of key codes for any given bike model / year. Don't be surprised if someone with the same bike model / year as yours, and has a key that will work in your ignition also.

On some bikes it's near the helmet lock. If thats under your seat it may not be of help to you unless you can pick that lock.

Do a search on your bike model and see where on the bike the code is located.
    Last edited by 250R-ICE; 10-26-2010 at 09:41 PM.

Lost my key for my 08 Busa two weeks ago. Took my ignition out and took it into a locksmith. He had to disassemble it and de-code it to make a new key. It cost me $54 and took him half hour. Found my key two days later in front of my house right beside the sidewalk under some leaves while I was raking. lol
    Keep the front wheel in the air and the shiny side up.

Guelph
    Past bikes-77 Yam YZ100, 80 Hon CR125, 84 Yam XT600, 86 Hon CR250, 87 Yam TW200, 03 Hon CBR954, 05 Busa
    Current bikes- 08 Busa, 06 Hon CRF50

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    The key code has to be cross referenced by the manufacturers to get the actual key cut, its not the same numbers...They obviously arent going to make it that easy!
    having worked in a dealership ... honda keys are that simple ... i remember it being like 8 or 10 or something digits for the code? (more then 4 for sure) and we just set the number in reverse sequence on the key machine and made a key ... took about 5 minutes... dunno if it still done like that but the last time i helped make a key was back in 2006 when I was working there...

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."