Ninja 250 vs. Gs500f for beginner rider

Thread: Ninja 250 vs. Gs500f for beginner rider

Ninja 250 vs. Gs500f for beginner rider

Looking to buy my first bike, I think the ninja might be a little to small for my liking and will get bored of it quickly. Which has me looking at the gs500.
    Im 19 years old 5' 11", 200lbs

What are your opinions on the two bikes? insurance and performance wise.

Open to suggestions on other beginner bikes.

Re: Ninja 250 vs. Gs500f for beginner rider

Only way to tell which bike fits you better is sit on them and try riding them both if you can. The Ninja 250r is a great beginner bike and even popular among seasoned riders who own it or try it out due to the fact that even though it is only a 250, it has a respectable amount of power. With an experienced rider, it can reach 0-100 km/h in slightly under 6 seconds. That's faster than most cars you see on the road. It can also reach highway speeds of up to 140-150 km/h quite well. At the same time, it doesn't have an insane amount of torque and power so that if a beginner accidentally rips it on the throttle, it's not as likely going to fly out from between your legs like a rocket compared to bigger and more powerful sport bikes. It also has good handling around curves and is forgiving to a beginner.

I'm a beginner rider myself and bought a Ninja 250r for the above reasons and am having great fun on it. Insurance is not bad but not great. The fact that I am a beginner with no previous riding experience and that it is classified as a sport bike are negatives. On the plus side, it is only a 250 so that helps to balance out the cost. If you do a motorcycle riding course and obtain the CSC certificate, some insurance companies may give you a better rate. I did a lot of research before settling on a 250r and never really found any major negative comments about it other then from some taller riders who felt too cramped on the bike. If you do buy a 250r either new or used and decide to upgrade in a season or two, the good thing is that these bikes hold their value really well and are always in demand. I don't have any knowledge or experience on the GS500 but I'm sure it's a great bike too.

Ask your broker to quote you both bikes and see what insurance will look like.

Performance wise? Not much. The gs500f has more hp and is a bit faster off the line, but it's a heavier bike by 25lbs. I've ridden with ninja 250's and they have no problem keeping up.
    Current: '04 Suzuki SV650n
    '06 Honda CBR F4i
    '06 Suzuki GS500F: Gone but not forgotten

I have rode both. I prefer the GS500f for both acceleration and highway riding (lower revs).

The 500 can be gotten cheaply as there are many out there. Check insurance first.

Having said that the 250 is a blast to ride and I prefer the look of it over the 500f. The 250 will be easier to sell as well when you are ready to move up.

Greg

Milton Ontario

2012 ZX14R
    2007 Kawasaki ZX-14

I only have experience on the 2009 250r and I can say it's great bike all around. I think the GS 500 should be a great bike also.

Both bikes have a great reputation for reliability. The insurance difference between the two for me was very minor.

I think you should go sit on both and see which one feels best to you...

I have a gs500f, and think its a great begginer. Fun, and a good amount of power to start and to keep you interested for a while. Insurance wasnt a big difference from the 250.

i bought a 06 gs500f as my first bike and it was a great one to learn on... very forgiving with the stupid mistakes a beginner can make and learn from

the insurance for me wasn't as stated above wasn't a big difference, however i'm 24

my buddy who is 21 quoted both a 250r and gs500f and he saw a bigger gap, so definately give insurance a look first before making up your mind on a bike
    '08 ZX6R (Vivid Yellow)
    '06 GS500F (Blue/White) - Sold

GS500 sounds like the better choice. I have never been on the 250 but it is a smaller bike with less power. Being a bigger guy the 250 might be on the smaller side and I can see you getting bored of the power very quickly. That being said there both solid bikes, and have both been around since the '80s.
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

if you feel like something bigger, take a look at some sport touring/naked/standard bikes. they'll be in the 600cc range, but the seating position will be very comfortable and they would be fairly easy bikes to control, with your size you should have no problem handling them.
    kawasaki 650r
    honda cbf600
    yamaha fz6r (and people will rag on me for this one, but the fz6 is has a great seating position, wide high bars)

the main reason, in my opinion for starting on a 250 would be, your size. if youre a small person, then a large bike might be a handful at low speeds, or even trying to keep upright at a stop (could see the leg of a wiry 120lb person getting worn out). additionally, if you want ss styling, then 250r is the best bet imo. but you dont want an ss because the seating position will throw you over the tank and make it feel very unnerving to turn for a first time rider (hell, i found it weird and i had ridden various types of motorcycles since i was a kid).

however, your age is your downfall. call around for insurance. sport touring 600s, might not be that much more than a 250r or gs500 to insre. but if you drop it its a more expensive mistake.
    Last edited by insert; 10-26-2010 at 10:24 PM. Reason: addition of a comment on the end
    2008 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2009 Triumph Street Triple
    2007 Yamaha YZF-R6
    2004 Yamaha YZ-125
    2002 Yamaha TTR-225
    2001 Yamaha TTR-125L

Kawasaki Ninja 500 has slightly better components

more torque = easier to ride. less of an issue if you find yourself in too high a gear. go with the 500

thanks for all the advice guys! but i think i found my first bike!

Quote Originally Posted by scotty89 View Post
    thanks for all the advice guys! but i think i found my first bike!
    So what did you find?

Its a cbr 400RR its also called NC29. Brought over from japan.

Awesome bike, but be careful. Parts arent plentiful

Quote Originally Posted by scotty89 View Post
    Its a cbr 400RR its also called NC29. Brought over from japan.
    Awesome beginner bike if you can keep it in good working order. As mentioned, parts are hard to come by so do your research on where parts are available because you will more than likely need a few things over the course of a season.

I personally like the VFR400 NC30 is a bit better, but to each their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazon
    N3WMAN is my ride
    2006 ZX-6R PART OUT