Racing Sanction

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Racing Sanction

Racing Sanction

I'm looking to do a few races next year and have been doing a little research. I ride an 07 gsxr 600 that's pretty well bone stock and the 600 classes I found are not limited to any modifications. Is there a ss type class where my bike would be more competitive or will I need to remortgage my house?

Re: Racing Sanction

just ride it as is, you'll be fine.

Oh don't get me wrong, there's no major mods in the future just a revalve and tune-up. I was just hoping to find a class where I'm not trying to go up against other bikes on a much bigger budget.

I don't get it, are you trying start racing or trying to win?
    If the goal is to get out there and compete, what difference does the level of mods other riders have make?
    Do you think that it's impossible to out ride someone who has trick stuff on their bike?

Your first concern should be riding your stuff as well as you can ride it, worry about your competitors when you're about to pass them.
    "I think you'll like Mat Mladin--if he's on your side. If he's not on your side--you don't like Mat Mladin." - Bob Hanna
    http://www.goloracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by franz131 View Post
    If the goal is to get out there and compete, what difference does the level of mods other riders have make?
    Do you think that it's impossible to out ride someone who has trick stuff on their bike?

Your first concern should be riding your stuff as well as you can ride it, worry about your competitors when you're about to pass them.
    .......... what he say's .......... the rest if and when you need it. BG

Ok I knew this was going to happen. I'm not expecting to win but I am competitive and I know it's not all about your ride but how you ride it. I'm just looking for a level playing field is all. I want to come off the track with no excuses, if I'm last it's not because the other guy had a bigger flux capacitor than me. If there's no such thing than fine it's not going to hold me back from racing all together but like I said I don't want to say he beat me because of whatever, he beat me because he's that much faster. I know the first thing is to enjoy it and have fun but I was just trying to find a class where the field is level and I don't start "needing" parts to pass the next guy.

CBR cup then perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by franz131 View Post
    Is this to say that even a hugely talented rider can't win without shelling out the big bucks for mods and high perf components?
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by dricked View Post
    I was just trying to find a class where the field is level and I don't start "needing" parts to pass the next guy.
    none of the classes you are eligible for as a novice will require this.

Check the Mosport National this year.

the fastest Amateur 600 lap all weekend was set by an old, fat, newfie on a stock 2009 GSXR600

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    none of the classes you are eligible for as a novice will require this.

Check the Mosport National this year.

the fastest Amateur 600 lap all weekend was set by an old, fat, newfie on a stock 2009 GSXR600
    ............ Mostly stock, lots of good chassis stuff and a bit of time with condor on the dyno ....... but we never took the cam cover off it .........and its for sale BG

This thread is funny!

Level playing field: CBR Cup, SV class (or whatever the equivalent is now).

^^^ ya I guess. So the answer is no then and I'll see where talent will get me till I open the cheque book.

Well it is no if you don't want to buy a CBR or an SV.

I'm usually outta talent right around the same time I run out of track. Funny how that works.

Remember to save some cash for your "oh ****" bin.

I'm just looking for a level playing field is all. ,,,,I was just trying to find a class where the field is level and I don't start "needing" parts to pass the next guy.
    Uhmm, the only level playing field I have seen in the last 30 years was the soccer field my son played on! But not to say stock isn"t better in many cases!
    bickleracing@sympatico.ca
    If you PM me it may take longer!

The original poster is worried about all sorts of stuff that he doesn't need to be worried about.

Is the original poster aware that certain modifications HAVE TO be done to any street bike in order to make it into a race ready bike ... Safety wiring, removing lighting and mirrors, certain models require engine covers for safety reasons, coolant replacement with water, etc.? Every race bike will have these modifications done. You can NOT race an absolutely bone stock production bike without doing any of these things.

Then there are things that are a good idea to do ... like replace crappy stock steering damper (if it has one at all) with a good one.

I would say that the majority of bikes in regional-level 600-class racing have not had their engines apart.

Sport bikes in the last few years (including the original poster's bike) have been coming standard with suspension that is plenty good enough for someone to get started. Worry about changing it ONLY IF AND WHEN it starts becoming a limiting factor.

I ride in a class where essentially the only restriction is the absolute displacement of the engine (vintage). Everything else internally is fair game as long as it still looks "period correct". And you know what? My bike is pretty close to as stock as a race bike normally gets. Know why? because it WORKS. I push the starter button, it starts. It does whatever it does out on the track without any hiccups or stalling or headaches or misfiring or driveability issues or anything of the sort. I switch off the key and park it until the next session. I fill the gas tank at the local Shell station - not a race fuel distributor. I don't have to futz around with anything. Every once in a while, I change the oil. It just plain works and it almost never breaks. No headaches, no hassles.

I know the first thing is to enjoy it and have fun but I was just trying to find a class where the field is level and I don't start "needing" parts to pass the next guy.
    There's no such thing as a level playing field in racing, when we had "production" classes, the mods were crazy but as much effort was spent on hiding them.
    Unlike cars, the motorcycle is a relatively small part of the equation at your level, so ride your motorcycle as best you can and enjoy yourself.
    "I think you'll like Mat Mladin--if he's on your side. If he's not on your side--you don't like Mat Mladin." - Bob Hanna

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    Is this to say that even a hugely talented rider can't win without shelling out the big bucks for mods and high perf components?
    Not at all, but when a complete newbie is worried about what mods his future competitiors have rather than when rider's meeting starts or what to safety wire for tech, one has to question his thought process.
    A hugely talented rider will need and be able to utilize the advantages of the high end mods, but that doesn't stop us regular folk from thinking we need them too.

Ok so now my thoughts are not processing correctly? Jeez I was just wondering about a class. My bike has full race bodywork and when I say stock I mean no mods not a street bike. It will be safety wired according to the book. I will gladly upgrade the stock stabilizer and I'm not worried about cracking open my motor and I have no intentions on running race gas, I just simply wanted to know if there was a class that limited the mods to ones bike. I might be a "newb" but my question is valid, and doesn't mean I can't tell time. If I need to know when the riders meeting is and what to wire I guess I know who to ask now.

Ok so now my thoughts are not processing correctly? Jeez I was just wondering about a class. My bike has full race bodywork and when I say stock I mean no mods not a street bike. It will be safety wired according to the book. I will gladly upgrade the stock stabilizer and I'm not worried about cracking open my motor and I have no intentions on running race gas, I just simply wanted to know if there was a class that limited the mods to ones bike. I might be a "newb" but my question is valid, and doesn't mean I can't tell time. If I need to know when the riders meeting is and what to wire I guess I know who to ask now.
    ...........everything you NEED to know is. A) in the race series rule book your planning on racing with. or B) somewhere on a web site ......... you jsut have to look (which based on your post is something you would rather not do........) so, if your on the "what do you think........." general, anybody can answer quest your getting it ............ but yes and no is your answer, yes there is class's no your bike doesn't fit them ......... better????? 2:18 EST (just in case). BG

Haha where are you looking to race? I did my first track day ever this year with SOAR for their practice day in Apr. Eventually I started racing in their Rookie cup and find it to be competitive but most of all a blast. I do have some minor mods to the bike but I think the majority of the competition ultimately comes down to rider skill. I don't believe there is a specific class for your 600 that restricts modifications, but you should be fine to start. I guarantee you will want to upgrade your suspension and maybe gearing shortly after getting started but you wont need to remortgage your house for that.

start off by doing the friday trackdays/SOAR practice days on the race weekends and you could most likely get an RFID tag or lap timer to gauge your times and improvement.