Legality of riding in St. Williams?

Thread: Legality of riding in St. Williams?

Legality of riding in St. Williams?

So a friend of mine saw my youtube video of me and the boys riding in St. Williams back in March and decided they want to go.
    I heard some rumours about the trails being blocked and a higher police presence on the west side of the Turkey Point road... Anyone have any info on this?
    It's a shame if they do shut down such a great place that I've only ever seen us using. It's kept clean, no trash or burned up vehicles, it's the closest good place to ride with a provincial park right next door, I see families on bikes in there all the time. And if you ever want to practice riding hard in whoops, it's the place to go!

Re: Legality of riding in St. Williams?

There is talk of this area over at the ODSC (local club as part of the OFTR) forums - I don't ride that area so I haven't been following, but you may want to take a close read of this thread:

http://www.odsc.on.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15462

Here's just one quote from that thread:

Half of the forest open to motorized use, is going to be closed down. The other half, which is the north west quadrant, will remain open for motorized use. From the map that is on display, permitted motorized use appears to inclusive of fire roads and possibly some double track. The single track sure wasn't on that map. Single track has been deemed as unauthorized trail. Even though for four decades, the mnr has allowed events to utilize these single track trails.

Over all of this, is an overlay of deep concern for the environment, and newly discovered wild endangered species. The Badger and a particular type of snake. And of course the Oak Savanah tree. As you enter the interpretive centre, there are expensive looking displays of what that forested area looked like 70years ago, after it had been logged out completely. I dare say, a dessert would be a good discription. The forest nowadays has been totally rejuvenated from the original logged out terrain.

The local ATV group appears to have made a significant amount of headway in ingratiating themselves with the Conservation Reserve Committe, the MNR and the Superintendant of Norfolk County forest. All of whom were present and I spoke with.

In a nutsell, they have agreed to have us(the OFTR as the voice for the dirt bikers) sit down with them and present what it is we are about, and what we can bring to the table. They were happy to hear about the education we instill on our own, our stewardship successes, our funding of police patrols, and the size of our membership.

We are to meet with the SWCRC soon, and then present also to all other stakeholders at another meeting shortly thereafter.

I have the superintendant of the Norfolk County forest having committed to sending to me for our review, the proposal for a 175km trail system in the area, for our perusal. As you may be aware, that proposed trail system excludes dirtbikes. They would not comment on which proposed trails were included in this system. So, that really is where a big part of this problem could arise. The Lynn Valley Trail Riders, for some three or four decades has run enduros and harescrambles in that area, built many of the trails and that work might now be in jeopardy should this "new trail system" be permitted to move forward, without our involvement or help.

A few other points to note, the folks present, would not concede that the Trail bike group, as they call us, ever made a proposal. One was presented. They said we were not organized. We clearly are. They do not advocate unregulated use of trails by minors, alcohol consumption, unlicensed bikes. Nor do we.

A final note, 50% of those that signed the registry today were OFTR related folks. Thanks for doing yourselves a favour and signing. We are simply looking to have our voice heard and to participate in the "discussion". We know how it likely unfolds, but we don't go down without a fight and a solid effort to maintain our rights, to ride in approved areas, in a law abiding fashion.
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka