Coolant reminder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coolant reminder

Coolant reminder

I got in the car today and it showed it was 2 degrees out so get the water/water wetter out of your bikes and replace with coolant before its too late.

Re: Coolant reminder

Quote Originally Posted by blackcamaro View Post
    I got in the car today and it showed it was 2 degrees out so get the water/water wetter out of your bikes and replace with coolant before its too late.
    already did it last week, it was a nice day last weekend to do bike maintenance

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

Quote Originally Posted by blackcamaro View Post
    thanks for the reminder! Last year at this time I performed this job with a broken leg and ended up DOUSING my cast in water wetter when flushing out my system. Knock-on-wood it will be a much easier job this year
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka

I'm doing it on Saturday.

Just out of curiosity....what happens if you forget? What are the implications?

Water freezes in your rad and the engine's cooling jacket. Expansion cracks the engine, pushes up on the head, splits hoses, cracks the rad..... Worst case.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

In other words Very Bad Things.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Water freezes in your rad and the engine's cooling jacket. Expansion cracks the engine, pushes up on the head, splits hoses, cracks the rad..... Worst case.

Ooh Jeeze. Well I better get on it!

nobody uses straight antifreeze in their bikes any more?

Quote Originally Posted by blink View Post
    nobody uses straight antifreeze in their bikes any more?
    It's a track day thing. Most track day organizers rightly want you to swap out your slick-as-snot-on-a-doorknob coolant, for distilled water and Water Wetter. Some people swap it out for street riding, figuring that it's more efficient at moving heat than coolant is.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Oh yeah for the track you have to. But on the street? Doubt it makes a noticeable difference on the street

Its more the people that are doing track days with their street bikes is all. They may forget that they had filled up with water and WW back in June to do a track day and if they don't change back over about now they could be in for a nasty surprise in the spring.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

My bike is street and track so it's been on water and water wetter all year. Putting Engine Ice in it tomorrow.

I did this last weekend (FINALLY) been delaying it for like 2-3 weeks. I actually noticed a pretty decent drop in engine temperature with the switch from anti-freeze but I'm pretty sure this was because when I flushed the system there was some crud in it so it's just working more efficiently.
    Current: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
    Past: 2005 Ducati S2R 800 Dark

I keep water wetter year-round. When it gets into the early minuses, I warm up the bike at night, get the coolant to 80++C, stick a 100 watt trouble light by the rad and throw on the bike cover. That gets me through the nights when it's -1 to -4ish. Any colder than that it goes to heated storage for good. Changing the coolant is a pita on the bike. Yeah - I know, that can be risky. It only got to 1 last night in Toronto.
    Track is my Crack - but I'm not fast - yet.
    '08 Ninja ZX-6R

Originally Posted by Bandit Bill
    Oh Sweet Jesus ... my eyes, someone stab me in the eyes to take that image away!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by funrider View Post
    I keep water wetter year-round. When it gets into the early minuses, I warm up the bike at night, get the coolant to 80++C, stick a 100 watt trouble light by the rad and throw on the bike cover. That gets me through the nights when it's -1 to -4ish. Any colder than that it goes to heated storage for good. Changing the coolant is a pita on the bike. Yeah - I know, that can be risky. It only got to 1 last night in Toronto.
    You'd be better off draining the water wetter and just leaving the system empty rather than doing the 100w light bulb thing.

^^^but I'm still riding^^^ Also, leaving it empty if left in freezing temps - you never get all the coolant out so if it were to be left in what would be the outdoor ambient temps I for sure would put in anitfreeze and get it to circulate into all the parts. Otherwise it gets babied by Ken M.
    Track is my Crack - but I'm not fast - yet.
    '08 Ninja ZX-6R

Originally Posted by Bandit Bill
    Oh Sweet Jesus ... my eyes, someone stab me in the eyes to take that image away!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
    My bike is street and track so it's been on water and water wetter all year. Putting Engine Ice in it tomorrow.
    Engine Ice is propylene glycol and deionized water. It's far easier to wash of a track than standard coolant is. Next time you do a track day, check with the organizers. They may let you run it instead of water and Water Wetter.

^^^but I'm still riding^^^ Also, leaving it empty if left in freezing temps - you never get all the coolant out so if it were to be left in what would be the outdoor ambient temps I for sure would put in anitfreeze and get it to circulate into all the parts. Otherwise it gets babied by Ken M.
    I'm in the same boat still riding the streets but planning on running a TD in November.

If it gets any colder at night the wife will be sleeping in the garage and the bike will be coming indoors Lucky for her the 14 day forecast doesn't look too bad at the moment.

it doesn't take long to change coolant ... maybe 20 minutes? and of that 15 is waiting for it to drain out ...

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

Quote Originally Posted by chiller View Post
    it doesn't take long to change coolant ... maybe 20 minutes? and of that 15 is waiting for it to drain out ...
    some people just don't wanna do maintenance.

I winterized the track bike last week. debating on draining the carbs.
    x