Dealership (Brake Fluid Flush / Just bought Bike) Question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dealership (Brake Fluid Flush / Just bought Bike) Question

Dealership (Brake Fluid Flush / Just bought Bike) Question

So I was getting my 6K done at a dealer. Yeah I put on 6k since mid August. Anyways, I bought a 2009 SV650. The dealer is telling me that I need my brake fluid flushed. I asked him why, I bought the bike this August. He tells me that you have to change it every 2 years. Since the bike is a 2009 (made in 2008 and condensation gets into the brake fluid, I need to change it soon.

I was under the impression that when you buy something new with 0kms, be it a car/bike/wtv, I get all new clean fluids with it. I feel like I am getting scammed. Advice please.
    Last edited by zhabodav; 10-21-2010 at 04:17 PM.

Re: Dealership (Brake Fluid Flush / Just bought Bike) Question

Some things only age with mileage, like filters, some age with both mileage and time. Fluids age with time. Even just sitting in the garage they degrade. I know a coolant flush and refill is recommended every 2 years, but I don't honestly remember hearing a flush & refill recommendation for brake fluid before. I just had my brake fluid changed after 3 years / 35000 km, and I think that's a reasonable life cycle for it. You may have a 2 year recommendation for the life of your brake fluid, but my guess is that number is based on the assumption of a normal usage schedule (which will accelerate the degradation of the fluid). Since your bike just sat around unloved for 20 months or so, the brake fluid should be just dandy for a good year or more.

The only other question is warranty status, if the manufacturer spec'd change date is 2 years then if you don't do it, will that void your warranty regarding brakes? Not a big risk if so, but something to consider.
    There is no planet B.

Coles notes:

Brake fluid has an affinity for water and will absorb moisture from air. The recommendation to flush the brake fluid is legit, but there are many hydraulic systems that have not been flushed in ages that continue to work as intended.

As the system absorbs moisture, the boiling point decreases and causes the lever/pedal feel to degrade.

In my own vehicles/bikes, the brake fluid is flushed yearly at a minimum. Track bikes and cars are flushed more frequently.

The owners manual will have the correct answer, but usually it's every two years for Brake fluid.

I think we are missing the point here.

- I figured that: If I purchase a new piece of equipment. It should be new. Because I purchased the bike 3 months ago, shouldn't it have come with new liquid?

amirong or amirite?

The fluid would have been added to the bike when it was assembled. Just like the rad fluid and initial engine oil. So its more of a question of when the bike got put together rather then when it was purchased.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

A brand new bike sitting for a year without being subjected to heat cycles during normal use,will not bear any signs of brake fluid contamination.Your brake fluid wasn't "new" when you bought the bike.But it had not been subjected to a years worth of wear and contamination.Imho,the fluid should be fine till the end of next season if you used your bike in normal riding conditions.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

If it was so critical bikes would come with set of "best before" stamps.
    Just in case it expires on showroom floor...

i think when your brake fluid looks black, it's about time.

Quote Originally Posted by Norge View Post
    i think when your brake fluid looks black, it's about time.
    Or when you crack the bleeder screw and solids come out first then the black fluid...

Quote Originally Posted by 87m6chris View Post
    Or when you crack the bleeder screw and solids come out first then the black fluid...
    That's normal, it's just the DOTs they put in the fluid. Every good brake system should have either 3 or 4 DOTs in their brake lines.
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    That's normal, it's just the DOTs they put in the fluid. Every good brake system should have either 3 or 4 DOTs in their brake lines.
    Unless you put in DOT 5 Silicone, then you just get bubbles,

check your owners manual ... I believe my manuals (I have 2xYamaha, a Honda, a Suzuki and a Kawasaki in my garage) say in the service recomendations section to do brake fluid and coolant every 2 years ... is up to you to do yours or not ... but I'd say that whatever the year of the bike I'd do it 2 years from that date ... 2009 ? do it in 2011... but having said that, if your a brand spanking new rider? you probably won't notice much of a difference ...

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

I've bought a number of almost thirty-year old bikes that I'm pretty sure had the original brake fluid in them. Changing every two years would be really living up the spirit and letter of the law. I wouldn't imagine that 1% of bikes get that treatment. You can look at the fluid yourself and see whether it's clear or dirty.

Just change it yourself. It would cost you less than $20 and under half an hour so I don't really see the point in not doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by zhabodav View Post
    I think we are missing the point here.

- I figured that: If I purchase a new piece of equipment. It should be new. Because I purchased the bike 3 months ago, shouldn't it have come with new liquid?

amirong or amirite?
    I take it from your original post that you purchased an old inventory 2009 model bike in 2010.

So to answer your question in this particular case I don't think you would find it common practice for any dealer to be replacing fluids at the time of delivery, you bought a "new" bike at a discounted price unless you specified new fluids on the contract.

They're filled with brake fluid before they go into the crates? I thought the dealer put that in

I'm pretty sure brake fluid is pre-filled from the factory and not part of the PDI prep. Either way, just look at the colour of it, if it's a light or medium brown it's fine, if it's black, change it. Just noticed the brake fluid on my bike is pitch black after a year and a half/50k km, will change it out over the winter

Takes me fifteen minutes and a $6 bottle of brake fluid

I'd do it this time next year or in spring of 2012 as part of your 2012 season prep. Get a set of Speed Bleeders for your brakes and clutch (assuming its hydraulic) and a shop manual and change fluids yourself. It's dirt cheap, I do it every 2 years and have never had any brake or coolant issues in years of riding. I bring old fluids, coolant, engine oil and filters to the local recycling centre, don't dump them down the drain.
    PS

2002 Honda ST1100, 1977 Yamaha XS750, 1975 Yamaha XS500, Honda MT250, Honda CR250, Honda CB450, Honda TL125, Honda CB175, Kawasaki G4 100 and Honda CT70

use DOT 4 .....flush it and be done with it.....