U-turn + Gravel = D'oh!

Thread: U-turn + Gravel = D'oh!

Unhappy U-turn + Gravel = D'oh!

Out in Port Hope today, I was enjoying the scenery and riding around some country-ish backroads. Came across a gravel road, which I was able to navigate my way back out of without incident. Went down a different, paved road, and decided I wanted to pull back around and check out a different road; made a quick U-turn, and before I knew it, I was on the ground.

I'm experienced enough to know better, but I hadn't been paying attention to the sides of the road. There was quite a bit of (deep) gravel/dirt on the shoulders, and my rear wheel had nothing to grip, so the bike flipped on its left side, my leg breaking the fall (but not the fall breaking my leg, thankfully, heh.) Had my saddlebags on at the time, so those also broke the fall for the rear end.

Left fairing's got some nasty scratches and a crack (damnit! right where I cracked it the first time, too), broke the front-left turn signal but was able to patch that up. What got me was that my shifter pedal somehow flipped over backwards, resting on top of my foot peg -- I was able to get that resolved, thankfully, or else I would've been stuck until help could get there.

My 2nd time down, and again not in traffic, for which I am very thankful.

Re: U-turn + Gravel = D'oh!

Good job! Welcome to the club!

Now your bike has character! Fix the turn signal, don't worry about the scratches!

I don't know if a crash bar is available for your Ninja, mine just paid for themselves this June in Quebec as you see below. No damage to the bike, turn signal remained intact, few scratches on the crash bar. I'll patch it up when it starts to rust.

Flat black '08 DL650A

glad youre alright buddy, you'll have all winter to patch it up ride safe everyone
    2003 Yamaha R6 Black/Red Flames - 25k

"sweat wipes off, road rash doesn't"

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. View Post
    Now your bike has character! Fix the turn signal, don't worry about the scratches!
    DL owners don't mind a few scratches, they are "adventure touring" bikes after all... <grin>
    o~`o
    VSRI #1930
    The most common problem with motorcycles is the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Dunno if that was very ninja like!! J/k. Glad u didn't get hurt, and it's just a scratch! Let it be!

Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Dunno if that was very ninja like!! J/k. Glad u didn't get hurt, and it's just a scratch! Let it be!
    Indeed. I'm strongly considering upgrading to a 650R next year, but at the same time I think the 250R should get me by at least another few seasons if I take care of it. The only reason I want a 650R really is for touring with my GF, so that it'll have the extra power and comfort -- but the 250R is handling that surprisingly well so far. So if I do keep the 250R, it'll be getting some nice bodywork and upgrades next season instead.

Quote Originally Posted by TekNinja81 View Post
    it'll be getting some nice bodywork and upgrades next season instead.
    A bike with nice bodywork will take you to the exact same places as an ugly motorcycle. I'd spend the extra dough on gas, oil change and rubber. But it is just me... I do like the colour of your bike.
    Flat black '08 DL650A

glad you're okay man

Riding alone? Look my profile up for our FB link to join us for rides!

Quote Originally Posted by TekNinja81 View Post
    Indeed. I'm strongly considering upgrading to a 650R next year, but at the same time I think the 250R should get me by at least another few seasons if I take care of it. The only reason I want a 650R really is for touring with my GF, so that it'll have the extra power and comfort -- but the 250R is handling that surprisingly well so far. So if I do keep the 250R, it'll be getting some nice bodywork and upgrades next season instead.
    I suggest you don't sink any money into it. Don't get me wrong, maintenance is crucial - I baby my bike but I'm not going to sink a couple of bills just to make it look better. She will go eventually so what's the point.

Just MHO.
    Entertainment for the poor, that's what my mother always called children.