Lexus Caught doing over 200kmph at 1am this morning on the 407 - Page 3

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lexus Caught doing over 200kmph at 1am this morning on the 407

Re: Lexus Caught doing over 200kmph at 1am this morning on the 407

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    HTA172 is just a heavy traffic ticket with no criminal stigma or record attached. I know which charge I'd rather face if it came to a choice..
    really...then why can someone face jailtime if charged and convicted?

no criminal stigma? tell that to the Lexus owner who's name is plastered all over the media...getting ready to spend his $10,000+ so he might be able to afford to drive a used Yugo until 2019

no record? yeah, I'm sure his insurance company will disagree

aren't you the guy saying the HTA needed something with teeth....but here you're trying to downplay the harshness....and then when someone suggests a criminal charge, you say....no no no....Stunting driving is the right charge

I'm starting to wonder which family member of yours got planted courtesy of an idiot driver going mach 2, and which cheerleading team you were on pushing this legislation through....cause you love this right's violating farce way too much

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 82Seca750 View Post
    really...then why can someone face jailtime if charged and convicted?
    Sure, you can face 6 months maximum in jail if convicted. Now, how many have actually been sent to jail for a simple HTA172 incident with no injury/death or other charges involved in that incident?

On the other hand dangerous driving without death or injury attached can net you 5 YEARS inside, and a dangerous driving conviction is far more likely to land you at least some jail time than an HTA172 conviction.

no criminal stigma? tell that to the Lexus owner who's name is plastered all over the media...getting ready to spend his $10,000+ so he might be able to afford to drive a used Yugo until 2019
    It may be embarrassing for some, but it's still not a criminal record and it's still not jail.

As for the rest, extreme speeding is a more expensive pay-to-play option these days, but it still is an option. Nobody was pushing his car to go faster but him. If (and I doubt this) it lands him in a Yugo, well people have lost a whole lot more going to Vegas and choosing to roll the dice there instead. Should we all shed a tear and cry for them too?

no record? yeah, I'm sure his insurance company will disagree
    Criminal record vs driving record. Big difference there in potential impact on your life. After a very few years, the effect on his insurance record will go away.

aren't you the guy saying the HTA needed something with teeth....but here you're trying to downplay the harshness....and then when someone suggests a criminal charge, you say....no no no....Stunting driving is the right charge
    Yes, I said that the HTA did need more teeth. Higher fines and penalties do that without unnecessarily criminalizing drivers for extreme driving that falls sort of criminally reckless driving.

Do you think that simple high speed by itself should result in a criminal record?

I'm starting to wonder which family member of yours got planted courtesy of an idiot driver going mach 2, and which cheerleading team you were on pushing this legislation through....cause you love this right's violating farce way too much
    No family member of mine. A few friends over the years as a result of different degrees of stupidity, including their own.

And rights violating? The higher courts so far have refused to strike down the law, and that's not for lack of people trying to prove Constitutional violations.
    Last edited by turbodish; 10-22-2010 at 11:57 AM.

somebody say Deer? this has turned into quite the debate. good read

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Deer runs across the 407 ( I'll pick this obscure example because that never happens), he can't react in time and hurts himself and possibly others.

No harm - right?
    Actually, it happens! December 2004, about 12:30am, I am driving Eastbound on the 407 somewhere near Burlington. Up ahead in the distance, in the middle of the middle lane is a deer staring right at me, I hit the breaks as I check my rearview mirror to make sure no one was behind me. Lucky for the deer and I, the road was otherwise empty, I used my horn as well, the deer became frightened and jumped over back off to the side of the road.

Do you think that simple high speed by itself should result in a criminal record?

And rights violating? The higher courts so far have refused to strike down the law, and that's not for lack of people trying to prove Constitutional violations.
    no...I think high-speed solo should be a careless driving charge.....that's what it woulda been before 172 depending on the badge...and a conviction would sting bigtime.....but I chuckle how you deflate against the previous and probable criminal charge to see roadside justice instead

may the folks who support the blantant rights violation of 172 suffer from it's consequences....cause where I come from.....I own the property and employ the politician and the badge, not the other way around

Banned

Um, no, not based on speed alone.
    249(1) Every one commits an offence who operates
    (a) a motor vehicle in a manner that is dangerous to the public, having regard to the circumstances, including the nature, condition and use of the place at which the motor vehicle is being operated and the amount of traffic that at the time is or might reasonably be expected to be at that place

At 1:00am it's safe to say that traffic would have been light on that wide multilane highway. Unless a crash actually occurred, that knocks out one of the pinnings required for a dangerous driving conviction.
    The mere fact that a driver drives at an illegal speed is not enough to prove that his driving was dangerous. R. v. Quesnel [1996] B.C.J. No. 1137, B.C.C.A

The same applies to a careless driving charge. It too was difficult to prove. This is why the government enacted HTA172. By defining specific kinds of driving acts in regulation as being illegal, the Crown no longer has to prove that a given driving act was dangerous or careless in light of the circumstances. They simply have to prove that the act occurred.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Now I'm firmly convinced that you just want to argue with me.
    HAHAHAHA Rob got his CARD PULLED..... Com'on Rob... he called you out right..... don't hate on Turbo now..... You could have easily said... "Good point Turbo.... I never even thought of that"

Banned

Um, no, not based on speed alone.
    249(1) Every one commits an offence who operates
    (a) a motor vehicle in a manner that is dangerous to the public, having regard to the circumstances, including the nature, condition and use of the place at which the motor vehicle is being operated and the amount of traffic that at the time is or might reasonably be expected to be at that place

At 1:00am it's safe to say that traffic would have been light on that wide multilane highway. Unless a crash actually occurred, that knocks out one of the pinnings required for a dangerous driving conviction.
    The mere fact that a driver drives at an illegal speed is not enough to prove that his driving was dangerous. R. v. Quesnel [1996] B.C.J. No. 1137, B.C.C.A

The same applies to a careless driving charge. It too was difficult to prove. This is why the government enacted HTA172. By defining specific kinds of driving acts in regulation as being illegal, the Crown no longer has to prove that a given driving act was dangerous or careless in light of the circumstances. They simply have to prove that the act occurred.
    Face it, you misread the findings of The Court of Appeals. Traffic lawyers in BC agree with my interpretation. Admit it and move on. I am.
    Face it.... Turbo pulled your card, and you are arguing, and can't move on.... You are WRONG Rob.... Just admit it, and move on.... Did I mention you are wrong?

Guy in the Lexus got what he deserved, regardless of the time of day...... He should lose his license...... plain and simple

Rookie...

Ive gone from Keele to 410 bouncing off the rev limiter in 6th gear on my bike...
    If guns are the problem, then how come I've never heard of a mass shooting at a gun show?

SlowNLow, did you bother to read his quoted material, that contradicts his claim that speed cannot be used to determine guilt in a dangerous operation charge? What DON'T those quotes say? Are they conditional statements, rather than absolute? Think.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Banned

SlowNLow, did you bother to read his quoted material, that contradicts his claim that speed cannot be used to determine guilt in a dangerous operation charge? What DON'T those quotes say? Are they conditional statements, rather than absolute? Think.
    My first comment on speed way back in post 15 of this thread was "Um, no, not based on speed alone" with the operative word in bold.

And the courts use the same words, with this quote coming from R. v. Smillie.
    Normally, speed alone does not constitute dangerous driving, as stated in Regina v. Strange and Regina v. Hill and Regina v. Viln (phonetic), however where speed is combined with surrounding circumstances and those surrounding circumstances add a component to that speed, such conduct may amount to dangerous driving. That principle is enunciated in the decisions of Regina v. Quesnel, Regina v. Bickness and Regina v. Reed.
    That's pretty clear. "Normally, speed alone does not constitute dangerous driving." The exception to "normally" is stated, that being the presence of ADDITIONAL factors that combine with speed to form a situation where dangerous driving results in a degree that can be considered criminal. Those factors can take into account road, weather and visibility conditions, other driving behaviours shown by an accused at the time particularly with respect to their effect on other traffic at the time, and whether or not other road users were in proximity or could reasonably be expected to be encountered.

But without those additional factors, we get back to the original crux of the matter at hand as explictly stated by the higher courts themselves.
    Normally, speed alone does not constitute dangerous driving.

My first comment on speed way back in post 15 of this thread was "Um, no, not based on speed alone" with the operative word in bold.

And the courts use the same words, with this quote coming from R. v. Smillie.
    Normally, speed alone does not constitute dangerous driving, as stated in Regina v. Strange and Regina v. Hill and Regina v. Viln (phonetic), however where speed is combined with surrounding circumstances and those surrounding circumstances add a component to that speed, such conduct may amount to dangerous driving. That principle is enunciated in the decisions of Regina v. Quesnel, Regina v. Bickness and Regina v. Reed.
    That's pretty clear. "Normally, speed alone does not constitute dangerous driving." The exception to "normally" is stated, that being the presence of ADDITIONAL factors that combine with speed to form a situation where dangerous driving results in a degree that can be considered criminal. Those factors can take into account road, weather and visibility conditions, other driving behaviours shown by an accused at the time particularly with respect to their effect on other traffic at the time, and whether or not other road users were in proximity or could reasonably be expected to be encountered.

But without those additional factors, we get back to the original crux of the matter at hand as explictly stated by the higher courts themselves.
    Normally, speed alone does not constitute dangerous driving.
    And then you went a step too far, becoming completely incorrect.

You claimed "They could also have charged him with dangerous operation of a vehicle and still impounded his vehicle."

I pointed out a part of a ruling by a higher court that negates any prospect of conviction for dangerous driving when the sole cause for the charge is extreme speeding without any other aggravating factors, such as a crash.

That's not "arguing with you". That's just pointing out why your assertion is a non-starter from a legal point of view, as articulated by the higher courts themselves.
    Speed, alone, can be the sole criteria for conviction, as set out on the very judgment that you cited. The statement by the appeals court is that it can't always be the sole point, but that it can be the sole point is never negated. This is where I say that you are incorrect, in reading the findings. The original quote that you posted was not in fact from the judge in question, but was an incorrect quotation made by the lawyer for the appellant, in an attempt to solidify his case, as quoted by the author of the judgement. Had you read further into the text of that case, you would have seen the ACTUAL quotation, as cited by the sitting judge.

The simple fact is that speed, alone, can be the sole factor in determining guilt. This case is not only used in order to point out that situations occur in which speed cannot be the sole cause for determining guilt, but also that it CAN. Your statement that Speed alone can be a cause only where other conditions exist is ludicrous, in that speed ALONE is not the cause in such incidents.

At any rate, you maintained that speed could never be considered reason, in and of itself, for conviction. This is incorrect, as your own cited references state. If you have modified your statement in order to widen it's scope, and have been caught doing so while providing a quote out of context, that's not my problem.
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 10-23-2010 at 04:51 PM.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Banned

Speed, alone, can be the sole criteria for conviction, as set out on the very judgment that you cited. The statement by the appeals court is that it can't always be the sole point, but that it can be the sole point is never negated. This is where I say that you are incorrect, in reading the findings. The original quote that you posted was not in fact from the judge in question, but was an incorrect quotation made by the lawyer for the appellant, in an attempt to solidify his case, as quoted by the author of the judgement. Had you read further into the text of that case, you would have seen the ACTUAL quotation, as cited by the sitting judge.
    If it's this quote from the judge, I did read it.
    "While evidence of speed standing by itself will not necessary lead to a finding of dangerous driving it may well do where as here the surrounding circumstances add a component to that speed that brings the driving up to the criminal level of dangerous driving."
    Then the judge lists components. Speed was considered, but not in and of itself in absence of other components.

Here are some more, quoted from R. v Strange.

Speeding as A Factor in Dangerous Operation

24 Speeding can be an important part of the determination whether the conduct in question is sufficient to meet the modified objective standard. However, the speeding must be considered in all of the circumstances of the case in question. Mr. Bottos has relied upon the fact situations from a number of reported cases for his proposition that speeding in itself may not be sufficient to be a marked departure. Let me briefly set out the fact situations from those cases relied upon.

25 In R. v. Ingram (1981), 14 M.V.R. 60 (Sask. Q.B.) Cameron J. ordered a new trial where the evidence which convicted the accused was speed alone. There the speed was 160 k.p.h. on New Year’s day in a 100 k.p.h. maximum speed limit area outside of Regina for a 3 - 4 kilometre span. The accused was driving on a divided four lane highway with a grass median. His vehicle passed 4 to 5 vehicles and four access roads. There was no evidence that any vehicles altered course. The road was mainly clear, flat and straight. Cameron J. decided that the trial judge erred in believing himself bound by previous decision rather than applying the section to the circumstances before him.

26 In R. v. Rice reflex, (1983), 59 A.R. 351 (Alta. C.A.) Harradence J.A. writing for the Court allowed an appeal by an accused and entered an acquittal. There, the accused had been driving 60 to 70 m.p.h. in 43 m.p.h. speed zone. His vehicle collided with a vehicle executing a left turn across his lane of travel. This was an arterial highway leading out of Calgary where the speed limit is honoured in its breach. The accused had been drinking. Harradence J.A. said in the circumstances that “speed in itself would not support the conviction”: see para. 5.

27 In R. v. Strange (1985), 33 M.V.R. 211 (Sask. Q.B.) the accused had been found guilty by driving 155 k.p.h. on divided double lane highway in a 100 k.p.h. zone at 7:00 in the morning in daylight in good road conditions with light traffic. There was no evidence that other vehicles were there. Scheibel J. applied R. v. Ingram, supra and said that the matter was a factual one. Based upon the trial judge’s findings “speed alone” did not constitute dangerous driving: see para. 13.

28 In R. v. Frappier (1991) 98 Nfld 238 (Newfoundland S.C.T.D.) was a case where Barry J. decided that in the circumstances the Crown had not proven the case beyond a reasonable doubt. The accused’s vehicle collided with another vehicle which cut sharply in front of the accused’s vehicle and one of the occupants was injured requiring hospitalization. The trial judge found that the accused was traveling at a minimum speed of 140 k.p.h. in a 90 k.p.h. zone prior to entering the municipality; the trial judge found that the accused was proceeding at 50 to 60 m.p.h. in a 50 k.p.h. zone. The traffic was heavy.

29 In R. v. Morra (unreported October 9, 1992 Whealey J. Ont. Gen. Div.) the trial judge acquitted an accused who drove at speeds approaching 100 k.p.h. in city streets, ran through a red light, and a suggestion of swerving while being pursued. There was no evidence of the pedestrian or vehicular traffic that might reasonably be expected on the route.

30 In R. v. Allan Scott Smith (unreported 12 October 1993 Alta. Prov. Ct.), Her Honour Judge Van de Veen found an accused not guilty of dangerous driving where she had a doubt as to the exact amount of speed and the distance traveled by the accused. The driving took place while being chased by a police vehicle at 3:00 in the morning.

31 I have no difficulty that as a result of the factual findings made in each of the six cases relied upon by Mr. Bottos that the accused were properly acquitted. The principle, in my view, to be discerned from them is simply that speed is a factor that must be properly considered in view of all of the surrounding circumstances.

In other words, speed by itself is not sufficient for conviction, as per yet another criminal court judge plus the other judges quoted by this judge. I suppose those judges all got it wrong too?

This comes back to the 407 speeder. With so many prior upper and lower court rulings pointing out that speed by itself is not a sufficient indicator of criminally dangerous driving, on what basis could a cop stopping someone for extreme speeding in good weather and road conditions on an sparse or empty highway justify dangerous driving charges, as you suggested could be laid?
    Last edited by turbodish; 10-23-2010 at 07:04 PM.

And yet you still chose to misquote. Got anything pertaining to double the limit on a 100 Kmh highway?

Banned

And yet you still chose to misquote. Got anything pertaining to double the limit on a 100 Kmh highway?
    Why don't you provide just one reference to a conviction for dangerous driving based on doing else than double the speed limit on an empty or near empty divided highway in good road and weather conditions with no other circumstances attached. Just one reference will do. Just one, should be easy for you.

Why don't you provide just one reference to a conviction for dangerous driving based on doing else than double the speed limit on an empty or near empty divided highway in good road and weather conditions with no other circumstances attached. Just one reference will do. Just one, should be easy for you.
    Because it's you, who misread the judgment and misquoted the source.

Banned

Because it's you, who misread the judgment and misquoted the source.
    Yes, so many sources saying the same thing misquoted.

Why should the driver lose his license? How is that plain and simple? Even if you believe that speeding should result in
    license removal why should he lose his license before being convicted in a court of law?

Btw, the debate between Rob and turbo seems to be about one thing. Can somebody be convicted on a dangerous driving charge with
    speed being the only offense and no other criteria applied. I admit I have not read all the posts in great detail but what I have read seems
    to indicate that you can indeed be charged and convicted of dangerous driving with the only factor being speed. It does seem unlikely but
    it does seem possible.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowNLow View Post
    Face it.... Turbo pulled your card, and you are arguing, and can't move on.... You are WRONG Rob.... Just admit it, and move on.... Did I mention you are wrong?

Guy in the Lexus got what he deserved, regardless of the time of day...... He should lose his license...... plain and simple
    Thomas Jefferson said "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty".

Yes, so many sources saying the same thing misquoted.
    Except that they don't say the same thing. You made an ABSOLUTE statement of law, that is not supported by the original source.

Banned

Except that they don't say the same thing. You made an ABSOLUTE statement of law, that is not supported by the original source.
    Nothing in law is absolute, but Crowns and cops are aware of court precedents. To all practical effect the legal precedents would greatly discourage any laying of charges and/or subsequent prosecution of dangerous driving based on speed alone, and you won't get a conviction if it never even gets to a charge sheet or court docket.

Besides, these days there is no longer even any need to try given that HTA172 provides a much easier to apply and sufficiently harsh penalty without any need to prove aggravating factors in addition to the raw speed reading. These days, dangerous driving charges are reserved for the worst of the worst over-the-top driving/riding with multiple aggravating factors, and not for simply driving really really fast.

Which is where we came into this - your assertion that dangerous driving charges could be laid against the 407 speeder is a non-starter. Everything else you've posted is pointless semantics that have no real meaning in practical application.
    Last edited by turbodish; 10-23-2010 at 10:01 PM.

I agree with Rob on this one.

A dangerous driving charge is suitable for the offense. It provides for the immediate seizure of the vehicle, same as HTA172 - at roadside.

The Police should not concern themselves of whether or not a charge will stick in court - they are to record and provide evidence, nothing more. Police are not prosecution.

Given that a massive number of HTA172's never result in a conviction for the charge originally served, and a similar situation would likely occur with a dangerous driving charge, I see no difference in the end result, other than in the case of a HTA172 charge, the driver is penalized heavily prior to even obtaining a trial date, as where in the dangerous driving charge situation most of any penalty is after due process - which is proper.