only 91,690 KMs...

Thread: only 91,690 KMs...

only 91,690 KMs...

damn... i guess this is common among bmws?

http://www.gpbikes.com/new_vehicle_d...91&pov=1813522

Re: only 91,690 KMs...

Highway miles add-up fast.

Could be a great bike at the right price but that's still high mileage at the end of the day. The fact that they left in the "only" part is ridiculous. Lol
    Current: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
    Past: 2005 Ducati S2R 800 Dark

my maxim had over that when i was hit, ran strong. i've seen bikes that have been around running great, i find theres more issues with bikes that sit than not sit. only concern with that bike is the final drive
    x

Quote Originally Posted by Norge View Post

That's a rare example.

Most BMWs have way more mileage than that.

My K bike has 106,000 and she's a baby. Guys have taken them up to 900,000 kms, but the usual is 400-500,000
    BUT, you have to take care them.

Quote Originally Posted by 87m6chris View Post
    My K bike has 106,000 and she's a baby. Guys have taken them up to 900,000 kms, but the usual is 400-500,000
    BUT, you have to take care them.
    how much money spent on service to bring a bike to that mileage?

how much money spent on service to bring a bike to that mileage?
    Money? Depends, if you go to a stealership probably alot, DIY, much cheaper depending on how handy you are and how you shop for deals. Our dollar is at par at the moment and if you have them ship USPS from the states the price becomes substantially lower. Pretty standard stuff though, you just need to keep up on it. Oil & filter, fuel filter (more often these days as fuel is becoming very dirty lately) Driveshaft (spline lube), spark plugs, valve adjustment. Every 2-3 seasons you'll want to go through electrical connections and check for clean metal. The same stuff that should be checked on any bike. You pay more you get more, true at first purchase and if you keep up on maintenance.

Wonder what the owner traded it in for, and if they'll ever get the same mileage out of a Ducati or Triumph.. or... Vespa?

That's an average of 13k km over the seven years the bike has been on the road, not that much. I've seen many many bimmers in the 150k km range, not brand new anymore but still running. I'm sure any modern bike can hit 100k km without much fuss

On a side note, I was in GP Bikes a few days ago and looks like they dropped their used bike prices for the fall. Saw a lot of very competitively priced bikes

That's low kms for a bike that's actually being used and being taken care of. That thing is made to tour, so high kms is normal. They have more robust engines etc etc to stand up to high miliage.

The well-maintained boxer will go for ages. Maintenance for that bike is cheap as beans, the only thing on that machine you wouldn't want to do yourself is a brake flush and fill. That ABS system is a bit nutty to deal with, requiring special tools and procedures. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a boxer BMW at that mileage if the price was right, and there was some evidence of proper maintenance.

Edit to add: but the "only" is funny. I wonder if the owner traded on a Multistrada?
    "Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines."
    General "Buck" Turgidson, (George C. Scott)
    Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

2007 R1200GS with an identity crisis.

That price for an '03 is pretty good in my opinion. I would have no problem buying that bike and, yes, that is low mileage for a Beemer. When I bought my Honda ST it was 7 years old, had only 74,000km and was just $1,000.00 less than what they are asking for that 7-year old BMW. I now have 125,000km on the ST and I have no intention of selling; however, $6,990.00 for a 2003 BMW could be tempting...

Malks
    1997 ST1100

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    my maxim had over that when i was hit, ran strong. i've seen bikes that have been around running great, i find theres more issues with bikes that sit than not sit. only concern with that bike is the final drive
    agreed... even with cars...
    my friend bought a 1990 GTI with only 45 000 Km on it... it was a mess... needed new everything...

The BMW's are famous for going long distances - Mine's at 60K now (bought it this year with 40K) and it hasn't missed a beat. On average I do 20-30K per year and I have no doubt I'll still be riding the same bike in 5 years.

If you want real mileage, look at this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278021 - He's now over 460,000 miles ( about 740,000 kms ) and has barely done any work to his bike (all things relative, see post

Even crazier - he's on the original brake rotors...

Any bike can last a long time with proper care. A friend of mine has a beautiful 98 R1 that is in better shape mechanically/cosmetically than 99% of the bikes I see on the roads and it has over 100k.

There is a member ("martinc") on r1-forum.com who has clocked 475,000 km's on his 99 R1 last year without any major work. http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showt...920&highlight=

On the flip side of the coin, there are ppl who treat their bikes like crap and pop their motors with less than 20k on the clock.

what does that bike retail new for?
    "Bro... it's an exotic..."

SOAR Novice #37

A new GS will start at maybe 17.5-18K plus plus plus.
    "Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines."
    General "Buck" Turgidson, (George C. Scott)
    Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

2007 R1200GS with an identity crisis.