M2 License Test Tips

Thread: M2 License Test Tips

M2 License Test Tips

So I decided not to go for through the M1 exit course and do the test through the ministry.
    Does anyone have any advice they can give me? I tried to search but didn't find anything specific.
    I gotta ride up to Barrie, or down to Hamilton, haven't decided yet.
    I ride a 250, I was told I would need to do figure eights (not exactly sure what this means), and ride through a curve and stop in a marked box.
    And I think that's it???
    I'm pretty confident in my riding, but I would love to be prepared fully for the test!
    Thanks!

Talking Re: M2 License Test Tips

They set up an area in the parking lot with large pylons to mark the perimeter, and smaller cones spaced 1 metre apart (you drive down the center of this 1 meter space for one of the tests) with each set of small cones 4.5 meters apart (you zig zag through this part or serpentine as the ministry calls it) there are six sets of cones creating five spaces for you to ride through.

Within the perimeter you will do a:

Walk Test
    Walk the motorcycle around the cones in a figure 8, preferably with both hands on the handgrips. Without losing control, stop the front wheel on a line at the end of the figure 8.

Slalom Test
    (zig zag or serpentine - different names for the same thing)
    You will start your bike and keeping both feet on the pegs ride around the cones in a serpentine pattern in a controlled manner (a common strategy is to go wide and double back through the next set of cones), you will do a complete turn at the end and serpentine back to the start.

Brake Test
    While moving slowly and keeping both feet on the pegs you will drive in a straight line between the cones set 1 meter apart, you must stay within the cones. Once you reach the end of the cones you will turn, and accelerate in preparation for the brake test. Bring the motorcycle to a quick, controlled stop with the front tire on the finish line (obviously the bike still standing and you in control of it - )

Road Test
    You will then be asked to wait while the Drivetest Test Person walks to a vantage point where s/he can observe you make a couple of lane changes and turns from a stop.

Should take no longer than 15 mins or so.

I work near a Drivetest center, so at lunch I sometimes go for a walk and watch people take their test for their M2 or their M. Some of the people look so nervous I always want to go and calm them down, but I never do

P.S. Yeah edited to add - know your hand signals; the tester makes you run through them before you start.
    Last edited by carman; 10-16-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Forgot Sum'thin

Re: M2 License Test Tips

wow thanks for the detailed explanation!
    only thing i'd be concerned about is the walk test lol.
    how big can these figure eights be? do i just stand on one side, hand the handgrips with each hand, and let it lean on me while i walk it slowly? turning the steering wheel to maneuver?
    Last edited by AdreeN; 10-17-2010 at 12:53 AM.

do they do this at the hamilton location?? i have my test tomorw at 8:30 am, and i have not practised for any of this, i thought it was all road riding? thanks

this is done at every location the tests are standardized. Expect everything carman said. I know this because I work there lol