CBR 1000 vs GSXR 1000 - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CBR 1000 vs GSXR 1000

Banned

Re: CBR 1000 vs GSXR 1000

Wasn't that a 2006 recall? And wasn't it for severe abuse of the frame at the triple trees IE. landing from wheelies on a litre bike? It was a one time issue, and I do believe it was a voluntary recall from Suzuki. The problem in no way is or was ever chronic.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Liner740 View Post
    no, but their frames need to go in for recalls and modifications so they dont snap....

every bike has something "bad" about it....

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Liner740 View Post
    no, but their frames need to go in for recalls and modifications so they dont snap....

every bike has something "bad" about it....
    Meh, I'm not going to start a big GSXR vs CBR back/forth as I thought we were joking about '09's but in response to your post I say there's a big difference between Suzuki having a fraction of a percentage of frame issues (and then stepping up to the plate and doing a voluntary recall on all) vs Honda having a large percentage (between 20-50% as polled on different Fireblade Forums) of '08 and on CBR1k's burning a ton of oil and telling the angry owners that it's normal and ignoring the complants.
    I get what you're saying about most bikes having different gremlins and I agree with you but IMO many people buy Honda's expecting high quality control and reliability and in the new Fireblade Honda has dropped the ball by not taking care of their customers (re: the new Fireblade also read numerous problems with thin paint and paint literaly wiping off bikes when washed, early corrosion on exhaust, plastic whitening).
    2006 GSXR 1000
    2007 GSXR 600 (track - sold)

PM me if you have a good track bike for sale

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Pic View Post
    Blanket statements like the one below always get people in trouble.

Do you really have a K9 "Yamahar1??"

Truth is the new litre bikes come within inches of each other. I just like watchin' fools try to prove it.

YES I do. I'm trying to upload pics of it, but it says my file exceeds limit. It is blue and white and has a full M4 system. I DO understand its "all about the rider", but I have had MANY liter bikes and have raced EVERY SINGLE one of them. The new gsxr IS faster then the CBR at EVERY point. I'm NOT saying this because I have a gsxr because I love ALL bikes. I bought the gsxr because it is faster. It handles like a 600 (first 1000 that actually DOES), and it has INSANE top end power. I sold my R1 for this after I simple COULDNT match the power and handling no matter how much I spend.

Litre bikes are fast, period. I am not too arrogant to admit that I am not capable of using all the power of my 2006 GSXR 1000. At 190 with 3/4 throttle the front wheel creeps off the ground, I very rarely ever pin the throttle wide open. And that power does make me feel like a god, I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by uniongoon View Post
    Litre bikes are fast, period. I am not too arrogant to admit that I am not capable of using all the power of my 2006 GSXR 1000. At 190 with 3/4 throttle the front wheel creeps off the ground, I very rarely ever pin the throttle wide open. And that power does make me feel like a god, I love it.
    over the crest of a hill with a 140lb passenger then mabie. 190 that would be what top of 3rd with stock gearing

To answer the "what's your modded gixxer about" question...

The 1000 in the foreground. Has a Fast Company motor making about 180whp on pump gas (190whp on MR9), BST carbon wheels, full Akrapovic Evo2 system, P2 battery, Pazzo levers, braided brake lines, modified rear peg holder to be just a pipe hanger (machined smooth), ceramic/metallic composite rotors, BrakeTech rear rotor, Ti bolts here and there, HyperPro damper. Revalved forks and the rotors are mods for the next year. The bike weighs about 390lbs full of fuel. There's a few miscellaneous mods as well.
    2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (Street, Many mods)
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (AM SuperBike)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (CDN SuperBike)
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F
    http://www.kingstonriders.org/

heres a good one. a nut in new york pushing his 1000rr to its limits - at night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbY0kLBQKFg

Banned

Use:

www.tinypic.com

...upload the pics, and cut and paste the URL (for forums.)

I road with a guy from SC with the M4 on his. Sounds awesome, but will most def fail the Caledon noise by-law.

Quote Originally Posted by yamahar1 View Post
    YES I do. I'm trying to upload pics of it, but it says my file exceeds limit. It is blue and white and has a full M4 system. I DO understand its "all about the rider", but I have had MANY liter bikes and have raced EVERY SINGLE one of them. The new gsxr IS faster then the CBR at EVERY point. I'm NOT saying this because I have a gsxr because I love ALL bikes. I bought the gsxr because it is faster. It handles like a 600 (first 1000 that actually DOES), and it has INSANE top end power. I sold my R1 for this after I simple COULDNT match the power and handling no matter how much I spend.

Quote Originally Posted by dricked View Post
    over the crest of a hill with a 140lb passenger then mabie. 190 that would be what top of 3rd with stock gearing
    My zx-10 would wheelie over the 3rd crest on the long straight at mosport just by shifting my weight an inch.....that's at over 250km/hr.

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    My zx-10 would wheelie over the 3rd crest on the long straight at mosport just by shifting my weight an inch.....that's at over 250km/hr.
    I am not 140lbs, I'm just north of 200lbs and my 10R will easily wheelie in 3rd just on the throttle. In 4th at 200+kph it'll still wheelie with a little tug on the bars and a healthy dose of throttle.

1st gear is completely useless on my bike except for the launch. Any similarly equipped modern liter bike would be similar.

Wasn't that a 2006 recall? And wasn't it for severe abuse of the frame at the triple trees IE. landing from wheelies on a litre bike? It was a one time issue, and I do believe it was a voluntary recall from Suzuki. The problem in no way is or was ever chronic.
    No, its a weld penetration issue. A fabricated frame is comprised of several cast and extruded parts all welded together. A fabricated part should NEVER fail at the weld, if it's welded properly the weld is actually stronger than the parent material. The frames that are welded properly are just as strong as any other Kawasaki, Honda or Yamaha frame. The frames that are not welded properly will fail under a significantly smaller load than they should fail at.
    Last edited by caboose483; 10-31-2010 at 10:19 PM.

Banned

Actually, it was explained to me by a Suzuki rep that all of the 06 GSXR's were affected. It was just the litre bike that had the weight to snap the frame. Again, this was when stunting started becoming the "thing", and it was from severe abuse from landing the 1000 from wheelies.

As for your front end wheeliing in first, second, third, your statement that any "modern sport bike will do the same" is incorrect. Suzuki shortened their frame, moved the shortened engine forward, and lengthened the swing-arm to prevent wheeliing in the lower gears.

What has been learned from Moto GP, and the thesis is, forward-upward motion (wheelie) is not the same as forward motion. You are losing time in a wheelie.

A friend I ride with has a ZX-10. It appears that Kawasaki is the last to address this problem as his front wheel is off the ground most of the time.

Fun? Yes. Desired? No.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    I am not 140lbs, I'm just north of 200lbs and my 10R will easily wheelie in 3rd just on the throttle. In 4th at 200+kph it'll still wheelie with a little tug on the bars and a healthy dose of throttle.

1st gear is completely useless on my bike except for the launch. Any similarly equipped modern liter bike would be similar.

No, its a weld penetration issue. A fabricated frame is comprised of several cast and extruded parts all welded together. A fabricated part should NEVER fail at the weld, if it's welded properly the weld is actually stronger than the parent material. The frames that are welded properly are just as strong as any other Kawasaki, Honda or Yamaha frame. The frames that are not welded properly will fail under a significantly smaller load than they should fail at.

Actually, it was explained to me by a Suzuki rep that all of the 06 GSXR's were affected. It was just the litre bike that had the weight to snap the frame. Again, this was when stunting started becoming the "thing", and it was from severe abuse from landing the 1000 from wheelies.

As for your front end wheeliing in first, second, third, your statement that any "modern sport bike will do the same" is incorrect. Suzuki shortened their frame, moved the shortened engine forward, and lengthened the swing-arm to prevent wheeliing in the lower gears.

What has been learned from Moto GP, and the thesis is, forward-upward motion (wheelie) is not the same as forward motion. You are losing time in a wheelie.

A friend I ride with has a ZX-10. It appears that Kawasaki is the last to address this problem as his front wheel is off the ground most of the time.

Fun? Yes. Desired? No.
    Did that Suzuki rep know about the reports of Suzuki GSXR1000 race bikes folding in half under normal racing conditions? I guess Suzuki never thought anyone would race one of their bikes.

If you don't know anything about weld technology or metallurgy you're not qualified to discuss the flaws of Suzuki's frame welds. I've seen a broken frame with my own eyes, and i've seen several online discussions with detailed pics of the weld failure and every one i've seen is the same. There is ZERO weld penetration into the parent metal. It's a bad weld. Suzuki can blame wheelies all they want, anyone that knows anything about welding can see "clear as day" that it's a bad weld.

Suzuki's liter bikes don't wheelie in 1st or 2nd gear? I never claimed that all Superbikes are equally wheelie-happy. If you honestly believe that a GSXR1000 won't wheelie out of a tight 2nd gear corner when you're trying to put the power down, you've never ridden a 1000cc bike even remotely hard.

Every bike in a Superbike race at Mosport will wheelie over the crest of the back straight. It's not a brand specific issue. You don't need to explain to me that a wheelie costs you time, I'm aware of this. Thanks.

Ok well then I'm doing somthing wrong because my 04zx10 has a full ti arrow system 1/5 throttle secondairy butterflies removed, a pc3 and -1 tooth and it doesn't come up in 3rd unless I mabie powershift or crack it over a hill. Riding in 3rd and getting on it it gets light but doesn't leave the ground.

My frame cracked right along a weld about 6" long and kawi did nothing. Well they offerd a free frame for the cost of installation (15 hrs) or re-weld it and spray paint it. So I bought a new revised frame for 750$ and did it myself. This will be the last kawi I buy.

Ok well then I'm doing somthing wrong because my 04zx10 has a full ti arrow system 1/5 throttle secondairy butterflies removed, a pc3 and -1 tooth and it doesn't come up in 3rd unless I mabie powershift or crack it over a hill. Riding in 3rd and getting on it it gets light but doesn't leave the ground.

My frame cracked right along a weld about 6" long and kawi did nothing. Well they offerd a free frame for the cost of installation (15 hrs) or re-weld it and spray paint it. So I bought a new revised frame for 750$ and did it myself. This will be the last kawi I buy.
    You're definitely doing something wrong.

I had one spin the tire in 4th gear, then wheelie so hard in that the triple clamp hit me in the face.(Back straight at mosport)

As for the frame issue, we've had about 6 or 7 of that gen ZX10 and I've yet to see any of these frame issues, and I've crashed them pretty damn hard.

Unless there is a recall specific to the issue you had, the Manufacturer does not owe you anything.

LOL. If you had complained they would have just given you a frame and let you do the work. Kawi USA has been very good with those frames that have cracked, Kawi Canada is a bit more stubborn but if you make a stink they'll give you a frame.

I called kawi Canada directly and got nowhere. I've seen quite a few pics of guys having the same problems with the welds all over the place. My dealer wouldn't help me at all either and I purchased the bike from them new. If I raced the bike sure I'd understand but my bike is immaculate and has never been down so to me with a cracked weld that's a major defect and kawi is fully aware of the problem or else there wouldn't be a revised frame. They also wouldn't give me the frame because they said they were liable in some way if somthing happend. I asked the dealer to say they were doing it and I would do the majotiy of the work and bring it in for themto inspect before I finished and they said no as well even if I signed a waiver. So I filied a complaint with the ministry and he even said he's heard of this problem so I guess you just got lucky or I'm just unlucky. And I guess if I powershifted it would probably lift but just riding on the road I don't feel the need.
    Last edited by dricked; 11-01-2010 at 09:04 AM.

And I guess if I powershifted it would probably lift but just riding on the road I don't feel the need.
    so why claim the bike won't do something?

Banned

Point was, the K-6 was a one time thing. It was not chronic as someone stated on here. Bad weld? The weld didnt penetrate? Whatever. It happened. There are a few guys on here with the recall in place. The frame is braced, and the frame is guaranteed for life against breakage.

I'm sure most bikes will wheelie over the crest at Mosport, that's just inertia at work. A 250 would do likely do the same.

I've owned the 01, 03, 05, 06 and now 09 GSXR 1000. The earlier models, you could t keep the front wheel down. This, as you know is not desired in racing. Suzuki has completely redesigned the K-9, K-10 to keep the front wheel down, hence moving the bike forward.

Ride a "new" litre bike. The power is still there, but it all goes forward, not upward. I'm sure you'll see wheelie control added to the 2011, 2012 litre bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    Did that Suzuki rep know about the reports of Suzuki GSXR1000 race bikes folding in half under normal racing conditions? I guess Suzuki never thought anyone would race one of their bikes.

If you don't know anything about weld technology or metallurgy you're not qualified to discuss the flaws of Suzuki's frame welds. I've seen a broken frame with my own eyes, and i've seen several online discussions with detailed pics of the weld failure and every one i've seen is the same. There is ZERO weld penetration into the parent metal. It's a bad weld. Suzuki can blame wheelies all they want, anyone that knows anything about welding can see "clear as day" that it's a bad weld.

Suzuki's liter bikes don't wheelie in 1st or 2nd gear? I never claimed that all Superbikes are equally wheelie-happy. If you honestly believe that a GSXR1000 won't wheelie out of a tight 2nd gear corner when you're trying to put the power down, you've never ridden a 1000cc bike even remotely hard.

Every bike in a Superbike race at Mosport will wheelie over the crest of the back straight. It's not a brand specific issue. You don't need to explain to me that a wheelie costs you time, I'm aware of this. Thanks.
    Last edited by Ice Pic; 11-01-2010 at 09:51 AM.

Ride a "new" litre bike. The power is still there, but it all goes forward, not upward. I'm sure you'll see wheelie control added to the 2011, 2012 litre bikes.
    I raced a brand new CBR1000 a couple of weeks ago.

The last words from the team owner as I rolled it out for the first time "CAREFUL, this thing likes to wheelie)

It was one of the most wheelie-prone bike's I've ridden, even with all the NEW fancy electronics.

I had to make some significant riding adjustments to keep the front end down under power and it would carry the front end about a foot off the ground the entire front straight and lift at full throttle in 3rd and 4th gear with no throttle roll-off(electronic quickshifter)

I've ridden the new GSXR's and they're not much different.

Before you guys start making claims about race conditions, you should probably spend some time on a race track.