Do you try to match your gear?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you try to match your gear?

Do you try to match your gear?

When looking for gear my first concern is protection and I'm shying away from black gear so I'm more visible. But how important is it for you to match your gear?

Re: Do you try to match your gear?

It's not even on my scale. I'm more mismatched than a hippie's tye-dyed T shirt in 1968.

We're bikers, not skiers..

And I agree on the black. It's too damn hot for starters.

The level of importance depends on the individual. Do you care if you match or not?
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

What ever happened to a man’s man type of biker? not showering for days, facial hair and skin as tough as leather?
    The only thing I match are my shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by VicRR View Post
    What ever happened to a man’s man type of biker? not showering for days, facial hair and skin as tough as leather?
    The only thing I match are my shoes.
    I think they are dying off, but they still exist . . . especially at Port Dover.

I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

If that's your idea of a man's man, that's scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazon
    N3WMAN is my ride
    2006 ZX-6R PART OUT

I did try at first. Then realized that sticking with Kawi green wasn't smart.

Now all my gear is black and white, leaning more to white.

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

Quote Originally Posted by jukon View Post
    When looking for gear my first concern is protection and I'm shying away from black gear so I'm more visible. But how important is it for you to match your gear?
    Make a compromise...put some reflectives on the back of your helmet (that are invisible in the day time) & put reflective rim stripes on your bike. My gear's predominantly black & there are ways to still stay visible.

It's important to me...because looking reasonably cool is ...ummm...cool. Why look like a goof? I like black and everything is generally black except when I'm squiding and then it's whatever.

I try to match my gear to eachother, if I can. But I won't pass up a deal on a new X-11 for $200 just cuz it's not my colour.
    I don't bother trying to match gear to my bike, as I own a couple that are different colours, and change bikes often enough that it'd get expensive to get new gear all over again for each bike. I have been riding long enough that the looking cool factor has worn off.

Visibilty takes precedence. On the street I wear a neon yellow helmet, and if canyon riding, white yellow and black leathers. If touring I wear a neon yellow textile suit.
    On track- different story- black and silver suit, red helmet.
    Last edited by omnivore; 10-15-2010 at 08:55 AM.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

I have 2 sets and they are color matched, helmet and jacket. One dark set for colder weather and a lighter mesh set for hot days. For night visability I throw on the bikes LED's to help out. I have only 2 now but I'm getting at least 4 more to really make it visable. Oh, I also bought an extra long pair of jeans... Drove by a window and saw a huge white stripe (sport socks) at the ankle level.
    -1983 Virago 1000 -1981 Maxum 750
    -1982 Venture Royale -1984 GS750
    -1985 Katana 750 -1998 GSXR600
    - 2007 Yamaha R6

I go black on black but most of my regular clothes are like that too. Just not very fashionable, I guess.
    A buddy had a bright yellow bike, flaming red textile riding suit, white helmet with blue irridium face shield. I always told him that if got hit by a car, the driver couldn't claim they didn't see him.
    I would think having a hi-viz helmet is the most important. It's in line of sight for other drivers and your head is what moves the most while riding, drawing attention.
    I wave to everybody. Just not you.

I try to keep my gear fairly neutral in colour, seeing as I seem to switch up bikes pretty often. Except for my Shoei which is red/white/black, and REALLY doesn't match my orange Sportster. But I don't care enough to do anything drastic about it, that helmet wasn't cheap!
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

Are we talking about riding gear or posing gear ?

all black was the way to go for me....black bike...black gear....

but now i have a blue bike = a whole new world

Yes I TRIED to match my gear. I kind of leaning toward red and black so if I want to buy a pair of gloves and I have choice between red, green and yellow giving that they are same price, I pick red. That said, I have been a red/black/white power ranger owning a silver bike for couple years, and I have been riding on Honda's boot with Yamaha / Aprilia bike.

not so
    pure 2-stroke spirit

Most of my gear is black. I do try to match a little though, hence why I sold my Ducati leathers when the Duc went. I now have some red accents on my race boots and my next helmet might have some red in it.
    Current: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
    Past: 2005 Ducati S2R 800 Dark

Not especially.

I have gear of many colours.

Pink and white coat.
    black coat
    black and white leathers
    black and white boots
    red/black/white coat

I don't really care that much to be honest.

i tried to make everything match when i first started riding, black and white bike, black and white jacket... and that's all that i could afford, now that im replacing everything... nothing matches anymore, red and black jacket, mat black helmet, black and white bike, haven't gotten gloves or boots yet, but well see then

White and Black, thats all. Suit is White with Black, X-11 is White with Black, boots are black with white, gloves are black with white. Bike is black and burnt orange/copper hard as hell to match that.

I like gear to match, but meh if it doesn't. I'm pretty cheap, but if I can get deals on matching gear thats the route I'm going.
    Life is best lived at Wide Open Throttle. Twist the right wrist and watch it all go by.