Appleby Line and Derry road hills, anyone ever ride here?

Thread: Appleby Line and Derry road hills, anyone ever ride here?

Appleby Line and Derry road hills, anyone ever ride here?

I hope this is the right place to put this...

I took a ride today to see the leaves as it was nice and warmish. I was going down Guelph Line from the Rockwood area and wanted to explore a bit. I turned down Derry road and when I got to Appleby Line I saw the escarpement and wanted to see what it looked like up there so I turned up Appleby and headed towards the hills. Has anyone gone up this hill on a motorcycle?!? Its so steep I chickened out half way up lol. I did look it up on my gps and found a way to get up there as I wanted to see what it was all about now. I came down the hill but went pretty slow but now I wonder if people actually do ride up, lol. Its a very zig-zaggy snake type road right by the Rattlesnake Point Conservation area that I am talking about.... hehe.
    Last edited by Kotku; 10-08-2010 at 02:42 AM.

Re: Appleby Line and Derry road hills, anyone ever ride here?

Lots of people ride that hill, I've gone up and down many times. No problem. It tends to have sand on it, although it's not too bad at this time of year. One other thing; as you approach the hairpin from either direction, look up or down to the road on the other side of the hairpin to see if other vehicles are approaching. Some drivers/riders tend to cut the corner close on the way up, and it's very easy to blow the corner and run wide on the exit on the way down.

Banned

That road used to be the site of organized autosport hill climb competition back in the mid-50s. These days the competition there is limited to to bicycle races and cross-country marathons. Both sound plenty painful given that the hill can give you a hell of a workout just hiking up it.

On a motorcycle though it's an easy enough road. Just make sure you're in a low gear, even first gear depending on bike and your abilities, for the two sharp turns near the top. Coming down the hill, the driveway entrance at the sharp semi-hairpin right-hander just below the top will give you a great view of the Milton through Toronto plains below.

fun times climbing that hill in my subaru back in the days during snow storms...who doesn't power slide that hairpin going up or down...on the bike, just have to be careful of sand, otherwise a nice little challenge when two up...that area has some fun roads...hang a right at the top and take the next left up the escarpment, good stuff...

Been up that road on the bike and in my MR2.

It's damn awesome.

I used to commute that route every day from Cambridge to Burlington for a couple of years... It was definitely a treat. There are quite a number of hills in that area which are nice like that. Heading back down the escarpment (still on Appleby) on the north side, there used to be a large drop off where the train tracks crossed the road that you could get some serious air on, even when riding my CBR! They finally chopped down the "jump" (I'm assuming for safety reason), so it's not as fun anymore.

I remember one winter in a heavy snowstorm, I was barreling up the south side of the hill in my Cavalier (as to actually make it up the hill) and when I got around the slight left hander before the switchback, I saw that there was a snowplow stuck at the bottom of the first turn! I had to go down the hill backwards with hardly any traction, that was interesting to say the least!!
    Last edited by Modeboy; 10-08-2010 at 05:17 PM.
    MODE ON

I was there today, its awesome.
    BTW, i didnt c too much sand

Quote Originally Posted by Kotku View Post
    I hope this is the right place to put this...

I took a ride today to see the leaves as it was nice and warmish. I was going down Guelph Line from the Rockwood area and wanted to explore a bit. I turned down Derry road and when I got to Appleby Line I saw the escarpement and wanted to see what it looked like up there so I turned up Appleby and headed towards the hills. Has anyone gone up this hill on a motorcycle?!? Its so steep I chickened out half way up lol. I did look it up on my gps and found a way to get up there as I wanted to see what it was all about now. I came down the hill but went pretty slow but now I wonder if people actually do ride up, lol. Its a very zig-zaggy snake type road right by the Rattlesnake Point Conservation area that I am talking about.... hehe.
    Some years ago on a CVMG event I managed a non-stop climb of Rattlesnake Hill riding a 1927 Levis 247cc two stroke lightweight motorcycle which must develop all of 5 hp and has only a 15 to 1 bottom gear. As I recall, the big hairpin needed bottom gear but there were a couple of places before and after it where the little bike actually could pull the 10 to 1 second gear. A bit tricky shifting though, because it is a slow hand-shift and gateless 3 speed gearbox. The rate of climb would have been not much better than walking speed but the bike chugged up OK. Certainly surprised me.

AFJ

Banned

Acquaint yourself with your rear brake and you'll do fine. Tight elevated hairpins like that (and the one at the forks) are good practice... you shouldn't be nervous going up and down those kinds of hills.

I found a couple of roads that are similar to that, today, near StoneyCreek.

McNeilly Road and Fifty road make a nice loop

Quote Originally Posted by SLaP View Post
    I found a couple of roads that are similar to that, today, near StoneyCreek.

McNeilly Road and Fifty road make a nice loop

Haha,

I live a minute away from 50 hill. Those are great roads to kick of my ride.

The 50 hill is more exciting then the McNeilly one.

Also, go further east, and check out Woolverton hill in Grimsby (I think they are done construction there now) and Thirty Rd hill in Beamsville, for more twisty hill climbing goodness.

Ultimate quick twisty fun hill climbing and much longer too? Do a few runs on Kenilworth Access in Hamilton. If you plan it right, you can actually turn this road into a short, track like, race loop and do a few laps. There are no stops, or interruptions, and a few opportunities for knee dragging if thats your thing.

BTW, the Appleby hill. Also a nice road. Be careful coming down the hill, just before the hairpin. I've found it bumpy and many ABS equipped bikes tend to "release" the brakes for a short period of time causing a few moments of anxiety.

Last edited by MotoStark; 10-10-2010 at 08:39 AM.
    GTA-M. Your best bang for the entertainment buck.
    What feels better than banking a motorcycle over into a corner?