submitting picture evidence in parking court?

Thread: submitting picture evidence in parking court?

submitting picture evidence in parking court?

Is there a special procedure to get pictures allowed as evidence in parking court?

I took pictures after a received a ticket for my front tire being a few inches beyond the pole marking the start of spaces. Its a pretty weak ticket but when I looked at my bike closer there were drag marks on the pavement from my kickstand where where it looks someone dragged my bike 6 inches to make room.

I'm fighting the ticket as I even think that the few inches my tire was over is a lame ticket but the fact that my bike was dragged I'm fighting it forsure.

Re: submitting picture evidence in parking court?

the only problem with that is you will have to prove that you didn't move the bike then take the picture. Good luck with that.
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

You'll want to have date and time on the picture. Preferably *IN* the picture.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    You'll want to have date and time on the picture. Preferably *IN* the picture.
    I took the pictures with my iphone. I wonder if it has any time/date information. I think it takes GPS record of the photo but that doesn't do any good. I was looking for a news stand I could get in the picture but none to be found.

Any good tips of clever ways to date a photo in case I come across a situation like this again?

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    the only problem with that is you will have to prove that you didn't move the bike then take the picture. Good luck with that.
    Your right that is a very good point and one I didn't think of. I guess I can't really prove that I didn't move it other than my sworn word. What evidence do they have against you in parking court other than one persons word. I know in that case because I am not a friend of the court I lose.

I'm trying to debate if its worth it to fight it. I even if they don't acknowledge the photos I can probably get it reduced to next to nothing before hand. I want to fight it out of being so ****** off that someone would move my bike and on top of that getting a parking ticket because of it.

Not saying I endorse this, but a coworker got a parking ticket for parking in a no-standing, no-stopping, do not be here zone. She got upset and took a picture and brought it back to the office complaining. We all looked at the picture and pointed out the 3 signs on the telephone pole that clearly showed her as guilty.

Not one to be proved wrong: She cropped the signs out of the picture, went to court, and they dropped the ticket.

Your mileage may vary...

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Yeti View Post
    Not saying I endorse this, but a coworker got a parking ticket for parking in a no-standing, no-stopping, do not be here zone. She got upset and took a picture and brought it back to the office complaining. We all looked at the picture and pointed out the 3 signs on the telephone pole that clearly showed her as guilty.

Not one to be proved wrong: She cropped the signs out of the picture, went to court, and they dropped the ticket.

Your mileage may vary...
    I'm not going to doctor them. I'll just take my chances that I might get a reasonable and logical human being that will see my situation. Even if someone didn't move my bike I think its stupid that they would have ticketed my bike for a tire being a few inches beyond a pole. I wish they would just paint lines on the pavement as the parking line that way it makes it real easy to tell rather then a large pole (that isn't even straight lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Yeti View Post
    Oi vey. There's psychopathy at it's finest.

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    I took the pictures with my iphone. I wonder if it has any time/date information. I think it takes GPS record of the photo but that doesn't do any good. I was looking for a news stand I could get in the picture but none to be found.

Any good tips of clever ways to date a photo in case I come across a situation like this again?

Your right that is a very good point and one I didn't think of. I guess I can't really prove that I didn't move it other than my sworn word. What evidence do they have against you in parking court other than one persons word. I know in that case because I am not a friend of the court I lose.

I'm trying to debate if its worth it to fight it. I even if they don't acknowledge the photos I can probably get it reduced to next to nothing before hand. I want to fight it out of being so ****** off that someone would move my bike and on top of that getting a parking ticket because of it.
    The picture has time/date information associated with it the moment you take it. Any photo software will show it to you. Heck, most file browsing programs will even display that info.

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post

The picture file, from your iPhone, contains what is called EXIF; "Exchangeable Image File" data. This information typically includes things like the date and time that the picture was taken. If the iPhone also tags the image file with GPS data, then this could also be in the EXIF. Programmes like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, and even Google's free Picasa can read this information to a greater or lesser extent.

The quick & dirty method: Copy the picture to your computer. Open it in Picasa, right click it, then select Properties. Do a screen capture, including the EXIF information that appears on the right side, then print it.
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 10-01-2010 at 01:11 PM.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Qualdoth View Post
    The picture has time/date information associated with it the moment you take it. Any photo software will show it to you. Heck, most file browsing programs will even display that info.
    The picture file, from your iPhone, contains what is called EXIF; "Exchangeable Image File" data. This information typically includes things like the date and time that the picture was taken. If the iPhone also tags the image file with GPS data, then this could also be in the EXIF. Programmes like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, and even Google's free Picasa can read this information to a greater or lesser extent.

The quick & dirty method: Copy the picture to your computer. Open it in Picasa, right click it, then select Properties. Do a screen capture, including the EXIF information that appears on the right side, then print it.
    Thanks guys I will do that. Of course as was brought up by Splash I have no evidence that I didn't move the bike myself. I hopefully can plea it down to $10 although really its only $40 which might be worth not driving north to the court house and wasting a vacation day. I wish they had parking court downtown or just even reasonable and logical parking officers who didn't seem to be padding their numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Qualdoth View Post
    Which means nothing since you can edit that information to say anything you want! Just saying.
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Which means nothing since you can edit that information to say anything you want! Just saying.
    People can also lie on the stand, but that doesn't mean that they do. That's the difference between evidence and proof.

People can also lie on the stand, but that doesn't mean that they do. That's the difference between evidence and proof.
    so is a picture with editable EXIF data evidence or proof?

Then what's the difference between taking a picture and drawing a picture then? Is one more credible then the other? If you swear that the drawing of the bike is a true account of what happened then why would a picture hold more weight?

so is a picture with editable EXIF data evidence or proof?

Then what's the difference between taking a picture and drawing a picture then? Is one more credible then the other? If you swear that the drawing of the bike is a true account of what happened then why would a picture hold more weight?
    Why would your word hold any weight?

You would be willing to use a vacation day to fight a $40 ticket?? I would'nt.
    Theres a chance you will lose and now you are out $40 + a vacation day.
    Just pay the ticket, its not worth it.
    Last edited by macrider; 10-02-2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: spelling