Caledon noise by-law meeting Tues. Oct.5th 7:00pm

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caledon noise by-law meeting Tues. Oct.5th 7:00pm

Caledon noise by-law meeting Tues. Oct.5th 7:00pm

****Tuesday Oct.5th, 7PM****
    Caledon East Town Hall Meeting, to pass new loud pipe law....Come out and support...
    6311 Old Church Road, Caledon East, Ontario, L7C 1J6

I'm hoping a good turn out will come to this LAST meeting, otherwise they'll only have the yuppies of Belfountain and the Forks there kissin butt.....

Any riders, if you ever ride up here and enjoy it, we need to show a strong presence at this meeting.

As been said, elections are coming up, I have just sent an email to my regional guy, and will post his answer.

We need to put pressure on all of them, and the only way we can do that is to show up.
    Or we can all forget about enjoying riding in these parts....

You area WILL be next, as they'll use ours as precedent.
    Rixter

Banned

Re: Caledon noise by-law meeting Tues. Oct.5th 7:00pm

Quote Originally Posted by Rixter View Post
    Or we can all forget about enjoying riding in these parts....
    Huh? Maybe some may have to forget about riding in "these parts", but of the bikes I saw and heard at The Shed over the weekend, most will have no problem at all if the bylaw passes. I know mine won't, so I have no fear of this bylaw spreading.

So tell us again how you plan to convince Caledon Town Council that they should ignore the wishes of their residents and not take a stand against excessively loud bikes, most of which are ridden by non-residents?

My neighbour walked over to where I was warming up my bike tonight. I haven't ridden in like three days. I don't know this guy from Adam...He is about 65 years old and is a little strange. Opening line to me is "you know that is really loud and it stinks" My reply "Well i have to warm up my bike" his reply is "no you don't" , we go back and forth a few times. I think he has me confused with another rider because he says "I know my wife had a conversation with you regarding this before" "You know all 700 hundred of us here think your bike is too loud and stinky" I am thinking to myself that this is the first I have heard this and tell him so. He then tells me that he is gunna call the cops on me. I say go ahead call them. He then proceeds to memorize my plate. (my bike is in plain site) Then proceeds to walk away yelling f U F U ....

I have a kerker header , there is an FJ1100 that is the same colour as my bike and it's just as loud as my bike. Anyone run into the noise police at all... or know the test... I never like to bow to neighbourhood nazi but at the same time I would like to know if I would get a ticket. I rode around looking for a cop but couldn't find one LOL Go Figure. I don't think I can find a baffle to fit my old header as it is a 93.

End of Rant

I don't have or want loud pipes so it is fortunate that I don't live in Caledon as I would probably support the bill. Since I'm not a resident my opinion wouldn't count either way.

Rick, I applaud and support your involvement; most people whine and complain but never bother to even show up, much less try to rally others. So kudos for exercising your democratic right.
    But, turbodish has a point. What argument can be used to sway Council? The "right" to loud pipes just isn't going to cut it.
    I wrote to the Mayor, every councillor and every candidate. Only one councillor (Paterak) and one candidate (Forster) got back to me. And Tim Forster is a friend of mine, so he kinda had to, lol.
    You know where I live, so you know just how much noise I hear from loud bikes, cars, trucks, etc. I'm all for going after the look-at-me crowd but I hate the idea that bikes are being singled out. It should be ALL vehicles which make unnecessary noise, IMHO.
    What approach are you considering when addressing Council at the meeting?
    I wave to everybody. Just not you.

whats to fight? No one is trying to keep you from riding there, they just want proper pipes on the bikes. You have a problem with that?

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    So tell us again how you plan to convince Caledon Town Council that they should ignore the wishes of their residents and not take a stand against excessively loud bikes, most of which are ridden by non-residents?
    A show of concern in numbers would help.

Instead of a hand full of riders and room full of wining residents.
    Rixter

This is a comment from one of our Quebec officers..I'm hate to see it get this way in our neighborhood, especially after the Staff Sergent's comment in council of "an abrupt lane change will end the noisy bike beside him"

Quote "There's even a town here, Granby, were the LEOs will pull aside any bikes that tries to go Though their city and weather you have legal pipes or not. They will bend over backwards to find something/anything "wrong" on your bike and write you a very costly ticket just so that you will not come back.
    A guy that lives their and has a Harley even went back to the dealership and had original pipes put back on his bike was pulled over and written a ticket for $650, he had the invoice with him of the new pipes but the cop just ignored him and wrote the ticket anyway, he went to court and lost"

Get enough bikes passing the test and maybe they will to come to another method of ridding the bikes in Belfountain.
    Rixter

How loud is "loud"? I agree with the residents of Caledon that they shouldn't have to put up with excessively loud pipes if they are not within the legal noise limit -- I wouldn't want that in my neighbourhood either.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by Venom01 View Post
    whats to fight? No one is trying to keep you from riding there, they just want proper pipes on the bikes. You have a problem with that?
    The problem is they think with this by-law that can finally be rid of bikes, and if 30% fail and don't come back what will be their next move, ban motorcycles from their town, they have already tried to do pass a by-law prohibiting motorcycle traffic, but never got off the ground once they were told by councils legal advisor's that the road use taxes are paid with every liter of gas purchased and we have the right to ride on all roads in Ontario.
    Rixter

So, what is the plan here?

Personally, I am in SUPPORT of this by-law AS LONG AS the RPM limits specified in SAE J2825 are written into the legislation (unlike Edmonton and unlike the first draft in Caledon). If those RPM limits are not written into the legislation then I am against it on the grounds that a situation in which the test can be failed can be created for any motorcycle on the road, including those that are bone stock (by doing the test when bouncing off the rev limiter) and it will then be used as a harrassment tool by the police.

Being against this bylaw on the grounds that you want the right to make as much noise as possible with impunity is unlikely to gain a whole lot of support.

Found this at the Shed.

Shed aka the coffee shop in bellfountain...

Last edited by frekeyguy; 09-30-2010 at 11:33 AM.

I don't agree with the singling out of Motorcycles at all for this law. I think every car should also have t pass the same standards. However, after hearing the racket the local morons make almost every night on Dufferin in my neighbourhood, riding up and down in low gear at redline with their GP exhausts, I'm not surprised at all. I also did post a while back how unbearable loud the open pipe cruisers are when they ride past on the Forks. I am not surprised in the least that the residents want some kind of law enacted as a result.
    Either way, to all the knobs riding around in first at 10K RPM., good job. Enjoy the big $$ tickets and go shopping for a "stock can".
    Leave him alone Lock!
    Dyna Coils/wires, 750 ECU, Dyna Rev Limiter, Orient Express Drag 2nd Gear replacement, Rebuilt Tranny, Mikuni RS 36 Flatslides, BMC Pod Filters, GSXR 1000 '01 Titanium Header and Exhaust, Oil cooler base Mod,Busa Rear Shock, Braided SS Brake Lines &Clutch Line, Busa Clutch Master, Busa Clutch Slave, FP Clutch Detent Spring, Ape Manual CCT, GSXR K1 Fork Caps/Adjusters, Race Tech Springs,

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    So, what is the plan here?

Personally, I am in SUPPORT of this by-law AS LONG AS the RPM limits specified in SAE J2825 are written into the legislation (unlike Edmonton and unlike the first draft in Caledon). If those RPM limits are not written into the legislation then I am against it on the grounds that a situation in which the test can be failed can be created for any motorcycle on the road, including those that are bone stock (by doing the test when bouncing off the rev limiter) and it will then be used as a harrassment tool by the police.

Being against this bylaw on the grounds that you want the right to make as much noise as possible with impunity is unlikely to gain a whole lot of support.
    Exactly this.

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    Found this at the Shed.

Shed aka the coffee shop in bellfountain...

You can't directly post an attachment from your Hotmail. That would require putting your passowrd, in plain text, in the link
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    How loud is "loud"? I agree with the residents of Caledon that they shouldn't have to put up with excessively loud pipes if they are not within the legal noise limit -- I wouldn't want that in my neighbourhood either.
    that's what this meeting is about - setting a legal noise limit. Currently, there is none.

I 100% agree with BrianP - Full Support, AS LONG AS the RPM limits specified in SAE J2825 are written into the legislation

So, there's a lot of speculation as to what this law will be ... has anyone seen what is being proposed? Where can I find a copy? I didn't find anything on the Town of Caledon website.
    Soar # 21

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Never too old for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    i guess not being stupid should be a prerequisite for wrenching on bikes.

look here for the propsed bylaw

http://www.town.caledon.on.ca/conten...y-lawFinal.pdf

Garry
    IBAID 26718
    BMWMOA 117552
    2011 K1600GTL NOW RIDING
    2007 Piaggio MP3 (wifes)

To: richard.paterak@caledon.ca
    Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 21:53:28 -0400
    Subject:

The following email was written by a Caledon resident. It seeks support for an online petition to support the proposed Noise By-law Amendment which will regulate excessive motorcycle noise. The bylaw is not the same as the one recently adopted by the City of Edmonton, but it is very similar. I will be voting in favour of the bylaw amendment on October 5 at an evening session of Caledon Council. I have met many members of the public who are also in support. If you want have your voice heard as supporting the bylaw, please sign the online petition.

Regards,

Richard
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Your action is needed for an urgent and important cause: to support the
    proposed Town of Caledon By-Law Regulating Excessive Motorcycle Noise.

Please share this e-mail with your neighbours, friends and distribution
    lists; the more people who can add their support to this petition, the
    better!! Going viral perhaps?

Time sensitive: for 5 October (next Town of Caledon Council meeting)

Click on this link to access the on-line petition...

www.ipetitions.com/petition/caledon_motorcycle_noise

This is the link to the proposed By-Law...

www.town.caledon.on.ca/contentc/townhall/council/agendaitems/2010-117Motorcy
    cleNoiseby-lawFinal.pdf

Here is some background information...

A couple of resident's groups, along with the Caledon OPP, Regional
    Councillors, Town Councillors, and the industry council representing the
    major motorcycle manufacturers, have been working together to have a new
    by-law passed in Caledon. The By-Law pertains to regulating the excessive
    noise generated by motorcycles fitted with exhaust systems exceeding limits
    set out in SAE standard J2825.

Created by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), the standard, used
    with the accompanying measurement and test procedure, is an objective tool,
    producing reliable, repeatable and defendable results. Motorcycles fitted
    with stock exhausts or aftermarket exhausts which meet the Federal
    Government or Highway Traffic Act standards, will pass the test. Those
    motorcycles with exhaust systems where the baffles have been removed,
    probably will fail.

Members of the motorcycle community are fighting this by-law. They feel
    their rights will be infringed upon, believing they should be able to make
    whatever noise they want, where ever and whenever they want. Visitors are
    welcome to our community, and believe respect for those living here is a
    basic courtesy.

On Tuesday 5 October at about 7:00 PM, Town of Caledon Council will be
    voting on the passage of this by-law. You can help by adding your name to
    the on-line petition. The results will be presented to Council that evening.
    Also, please forward this link to neighbours, friends, and family, etc. Ask
    them to lend their support to this important initiative. The more
    petitioners the better. Here's the link again:
    www.ipetitions.com/petition/caledon_motorcycle_noise

Just a couple minutes of your time will enable us all to better enjoy the
    time we have in this paradise called Caledon.

IBAID 26718
    BMWMOA 117552
    2011 K1600GTL NOW RIDING
    2007 Piaggio MP3 (wifes)

Thanks very much Gary ... really appeciated.
    Soar # 21

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Never too old for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    i guess not being stupid should be a prerequisite for wrenching on bikes.