how to end this : GTA= condo motorcycle theft paradise

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how to end this : GTA= condo motorcycle theft paradise

how to end this : GTA= condo motorcycle theft paradise

I am sorry to strech those people's patience who are fed by this topic already... but I think is the years' major issue in gtam's comunity.
    Of course, I might be hard for me to be impartial since I am a victim too.
    Many ideas come and go regarding on how to secure - or not have - an SS bike if you live in a condo. I just don't see the point accepting the fact that you can't own a property safely in a city considered as one of the most live able (incl safety)-city in the world - all due some deficiency in the system, regardless of the neighbourhood you live in.
    Fact is: it’s safer to park a motorcycle on the street than in a condo with 2, 3 or even 4 security layers (FOB activated gates, monitors, onsite security, ...)
    Assumingly the thieves get through all these security levels - how come that tens and tens of recorded material, videos, FOB entry logs, witness testimonies, ... are classified as "irrelevant " at the best or won't even reach the police (my case)?
    The main issue is that Condo Corporations have pretty much Copy/Paste management contracts with their Propery Management Companies. More than that, MANY condos with the high rate of incidents have the same property management company - who will make everything NOT to reveal that actually one of their COMMON CONRTACTOR committed these multiple break-ins and thefts - thus covering themselves under "no liability" blanket instead of helping Police with information to catch the ring - this would bring a terrible reputation which can badly damage their further bids for managements contracts with other new (or the same) condo boards.
    It was a good point earlier, saying that all incidents stayed and stay isolated at victim level; I found that other victims are suspicious on cooperating together- maybe they let the insurance deal with it, maybe consider worthless a "personal vendetta", I don't know.
    I consider that it should be a certain level of liability of the condo Management Company (who hires the Security contractor). This would translate in a much better efficiency from them - if not securing - but at least "connecting the dots" for the Police regarding the repeated incidents on their turf.
    I am just thinking - what would be THE IMPACT/outcome of a CLASS ACTION SUIT against a Management Company who manages 3, 4, or 10 Condominiums - all with motorcycle theft incidents ??? Would that influence their action (since have to disclose the pending legal actions in any bids for new or renewed contracts)?
    Yes – it should be some necessary actions you personally have to take to protect your bike – but we don’t have to go to EXTREME measures just because considering the ‘condo bike theft’ something you have to assume as given, which you can’t control – like the heat in the dessert or cold at the arctic…it is only flaw in the system exploited by a small number of people.

Re: how to end this : GTA= condo motorcycle theft paradise

I'm sure your condo agreement waves their responsibility for loss or damage. It could be anyone with access, even a condo owner. Or they may even be renting spots via ads on Kijiji. We will only know if they are caught.

I'm sure this will get worse before it gets better.

Sorry for your loss.
    My Ride 1999 Honda VFR 800

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post

I'm sure this will get worse before it gets better.

The problem is that is not going to get better, it is only getting worse. I think if a bunch of people in here that have got their bike stolen were willing to step up and at least meet to discuss/share information, something may come up from it, ot at least we can think of something together we haven't think about yet. And those of you that say, I already got paid for my stolen bike, why do I care, just ask yourselves what is stopping them from coming back to get your new bike you just purchased with your insurance money?
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

Quote Originally Posted by ZX600 View Post
    I think if a bunch of people in here that have got their bike stolen were willing to step up and at least meet to discuss/share information, something may come up from it, ot at least we can think of something together we haven't think about yet.
    This is a very good idea. People might not know a whole lot from their own incidents of theft, but if they are all looked at together they could reveal a whole lot about the who what where why when and how and give us all better tools to protect and fight back against future thefts.
    There is no planet B.

I can agree with both points, don't own a SS in a condo, as well as wanting what you consider nice things.

here's a random solution I thought of. much like the van idea I came up with that someone else today 'came up with' COPYCAT!!! lol.
    why not go to zdenos, grab some very old cracked up fairings, and make a cheap cover that slips over your ss making it look like a 90's trashpile.
    clearly if you lack any and all construction skills this is not an option, but it's so far the *best one I can think of that I would consider if I was in a condo.

*disclaimer, I'm crazy and think of overly elaborate 'solutions' that are silly.

*I'd still do it.
    Engine size is compensation for tiny odometers. // You either drag knee in -3 or pose in 20.
    2001 ex500 420+ km on a single tank. Mods: Digital Speedomoter / Corbin Seat / Works Performance Shock / braided brake lines / fake pezzo levers / integrated mirror+turn signals / gps power cord + ram mount / heated grips. / Heat troller for winter gear Fairing repair tutorial

Burlington during the week / Pickering most weekends

Sounds like you want to fight the system. Usually, when you fight the system, the system wins.
    Forget world peace. Visualize using your turn signal.

Quote Originally Posted by mjavor View Post
    Sounds like you want to fight the system. Usually, when you fight the system, the system wins.
    and the lawyers, don't forget the lawyers.

Anybody try those GPS/SMS trackers? They're getting pretty cheap nowadays.
    Mark H.
    06 ZX-14

Quote Originally Posted by mjavor View Post
    can't change the inevitable..
    Although trying do something about it is better than not trying at all, good luck.

You really want to stop the thefts? Pick up the phone and call the cops on your buddies who are buying stolen parts and bikes. As long as people will continue to buy these bikes others will keep on stealing because its easy money

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fredjsb View Post
    I am just thinking - what would be THE IMPACT/outcome of a CLASS ACTION SUIT against a Management Company who manages 3, 4, or 10 Condominiums - all with motorcycle theft incidents ??? Would that influence their action (since have to disclose the pending legal actions in any bids for new or renewed contracts)?
    Ok, a bunch of residents launch a class action suit. The only problem is, it's pointless to go after a management company because they act on behalf of and at the direction of the condo board. The net effect is that you have to go after the condo corporation itself.

Let's say you win. Legal costs and the costs of any award would have to be paid out by the condo corporation. Who funds the costs of the condo corporation? The unit owners in the condo itself because they are all owners of that corporation. In effect you're suing your neighbours and yourself. Think again about your bikes in the basement of a building where residents are ****** off because you sued them and cost them money.
    Last edited by turbodish; 09-29-2010 at 07:00 PM.

OP you are 100% on the ball with this one....i'm 100% ears
    If it wasn't for the gutter, my mind would be homeless.

Launching a lawsuit would be pointless as they can point at the big sign you see in every underground parking area that management is not responsible for items left in the underground.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu View Post
    Launching a lawsuit would be pointless as they can point at the big sign you see in every underground parking area that management is not responsible for items left in the underground.
    Ok, I know I have posted this before on this message board, but let me say it again.... Posting a sign does NOT release you of all legal liability. Its not then a license to steal, have crappy roads, or a moat around your house with sharks with laser beams.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerico View Post
    Ok, I know I have posted this before on this message board, but let me say it again.... Posting a sign does NOT release you of all legal liability. Its not then a license to steal, have crappy roads, or a moat around your house with sharks with laser beams.
    It's not a license to be negligent but if they are acting in a good faith manner, it does absolve them of liability.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    Ok, a bunch of residents launch a class action suit. The only problem is, it's pointless to go after a management company because they act on behalf of and at the direction of the condo board. The net effect is that you have to go after the condo corporation itself.

Let's say you win. Legal costs and the costs of any award would have to be paid out by the condo corporation. Who funds the costs of the condo corporation? The unit owners in the condo itself because they are all owners of that corporation. In effect you're suing your neighbours and yourself. Think again about your bikes in the basement of a building where residents are ****** off because you sued them and cost them money.
    Ding ding ding. You've hit the nail on the head. In addition to that, let's not forget that it's the condo owners (represented by a board that is voted on) who hire the property management company.

I've said it before, start planting C4 on the bikes, if they get tampered with they go BOOOM, that will cut down on thefts after that...
    x

Quote Originally Posted by Jerico View Post
    Who says they are legally liable for the security of your motorcycle or any other vehicle? They are providing you with a parking area, nothing more.
    Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Andreas and frekeyguy,
    Both of you ride supersport bikes on the street, and neither of you do it very well.
    Their intended purpose was for racing, why don't you guys buy scooters, the handling ability of a vespa is still beyond anything either of you are going to need.

Has anyone tried LoJack/Boomerang security systems? I wonder how effective they are

Solution: do not buy a bike if you live in a condo. I know, it's harsh, but if it's not safe to do so (park at a condo lot), then that's a risk you have to calculate into your planning.