neck brace questions

Thread: neck brace questions

neck brace questions

hi, so i thought it'd be a good idea to get one. the thing is, there are ones from $200 to $600+. the more expensive ones are carbon fibre BUT, you only save about 1 lb or less of weight. i don't mind spending the extra money but if a $300 brace works just as well as a $600 one, i will gladly pick the former.

please advice. thanks.

Re: neck brace questions

I saw an ad in either dirt rider or motocross action mag for a new neck brace, I'm not sure of the price but it's probably cheaper than the alpinestars, maybe less than the leatt.
    It is more of a suspension system, and apparently it gives you a bit more movement to put your chin towards your chest. It looks very lightweight compared to the EVS brace.
    If I remember to, I'll look in the mag again and give you the name of it, it's one that I am considering buying for next season.

Was at a local race this year on my time home and I attended a guy that had a really nasty encounter with a pole after a large double, he was out cold, had internal injuries and broken ribs but I'm positive his leatt kept his neck together, his helmet was in bad shape.
    Went home to enjoy some racing and I still had to work damn it lol.

The leatt Adventure brace is the best unit on the market for the money.

Same design as the higher end leatt, but without some of the adjustability.

This is the one you want.

Hey guys I know next to nothing about these. My old Scorpion connection is working for Leatt now and I have an email into her to get some info. She is marrying Matt Lynn this next week so I guess I am not a priority .
    I am interested in a roadrace version has anyone ever tried one roadracing? Donnie? I remember Mike McNiel and Jackson wearing the old stock car donuts but have never seen a proper one on the track. My buddies kid wears one quad racing and swears by it, but roarracing requires big side to side head movements and just wondering how restrictive they are. Great thread BTW.

The higher end Leatt will work with a roadrace style helmet and suit. I've slotted my Dainese suit to work with my Leatt carbon brace, its just a matter of adjusting the tables on the device for roadrace configuration.

I find it a tiny bit uncomfortable, but lack of a neck is the culprit, not the brace

You have to cut a slot into the hump on the suit to make it work

side to side movement is not an issue with these devices, MX requires far more side to side movement than MX.

I have a couple of these devices, I can bring them to the next SOAR round if you want to take a look.

Very interesting thread. Ive recently considered getting a neck brace for mx and downhill mountainbiking. If I can use it for asphalt that would just be a bonus.

Recip: Which model specifically are you referring to that is suitable for road racing?
    Last edited by mma01; 09-30-2010 at 09:03 AM.

That would be awesome and hopefully Teri gets back to me as well. I think these are the next big safety device and if they are as good as they appear they should be promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by rmemedic View Post
    I saw an ad in either dirt rider or motocross action mag for a new neck brace, I'm not sure of the price but it's probably cheaper than the alpinestars, maybe less than the leatt.
    It is more of a suspension system, and apparently it gives you a bit more movement to put your chin towards your chest. It looks very lightweight compared to the EVS brace.
    If I remember to, I'll look in the mag again and give you the name of it, it's one that I am considering buying for next season.

Was at a local race this year on my time home and I attended a guy that had a really nasty encounter with a pole after a large double, he was out cold, had internal injuries and broken ribs but I'm positive his leatt kept his neck together, his helmet was in bad shape.
    Went home to enjoy some racing and I still had to work damn it lol.
    might be the omega braces, $300 US
    Last edited by Norge; 09-30-2010 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mma01 View Post
    Very interesting thread. Ive recently considered getting a neck brace for mx and downhill mountainbiking. If I can use it for asphalt that would just be a bonus.

Recip: Which model specifically are you referring to that is suitable for road racing?
    I wear the Leatt GPX-PRO, the GPX-CLUB is the same but uses plastic in some areas instead of Carbon

Visit this site and pick the brace for you. The Adventure, GPX-club and GPX-sport are for use in many riding situations covered here, from recreational to racing, they are compatible with most types of body armour too. The GPX-club comes with different straps for the different riding you may do ie MX to road racing, leathers with speed hump may require a simple adjustment (also see Recip's personal note above).
    They range from $350. for the Adventure to $650. for the carbon version, use it everywhere. Leatt is now producing additional body armour where the brace attaches/fits perfectly with the selected body piece. Check them out, and watch the video !!
    www.leatt-brace.com

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    I wear the Leatt GPX-PRO, the GPX-CLUB is the same but uses plastic in some areas instead of Carbon
    hi where did u get your gpx pro from? how much was it?

It was given to me.

No idea what they cost.

My wife wears the GPX-Club, I think they are about $550 in most places

Make sure whichever brace you purchase, you take the time to adjust it for proper fit (they all have some form of adjustability)

I was in a rush to try mine out (Leatt Club)...went out on the track and had a get-off (I like to occasionally jump right over the back of the berms) and it kind of whacked me in the neck (too loose), leaving me with a really sore neck for the rest of the weekend.....I later discovered there was a smaller plastic "piece" included in the box that would have made it fit me better (I have a really small neck)
    My dirtbike has slicks

My GPX cost about 450 I think.

The lowest price on the adventure model that I've seen was at Supermoto Specialties - I think around $300 (tax in).
    http://www.supermotospecialties.com/
    RACE #36
    2011 CRF450R SM