SENA SMH10 - Bluetooth Stereo Headset and Intercom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SENA SMH10 - Bluetooth Stereo Headset and Intercom

SENA SMH10 - Bluetooth Stereo Headset and Intercom

Equipment:
    SENA SMH10 Bluetooth Headset
    Apple iPhone 3GS and also Apple iPhone 4

Background.
    I ride a lot - Commuting to work, and also weekend pleasure rides sometimes with other riders.

One thing I wanted to have was the ability to listen to audio while riding. I didn’t want the hassle of having wires with the potential of tangling, or trying to have ear-buds stay in my ears under the helmet. I initially purchased the Chatterbox XBi2 bluetooth headset. This worked great for my music playback – but not much more. I found the buttons on the XBi2 unit next to impossible to find when stopped let alone try using whilst riding. Also, the call button did not support the iPhone’s voice control features.
    I did some investigation on the internet and saw the Scala G4 teamset. www.Webbikeworld.com has a comprehensive review of this headset and it seemed to be quite good, though here in Canada the price was over $400 for a set with two units – ouch.

Webbikeworld.com did mention a headset called the SENA SMH10 – they gave it a very positive review and after doing some more research on it, I decided to take the plunge and order it.

See http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...mh10-intercom/

As far as I am aware this headset is not available from any Canadian resellers yet, therefore after tracking down a reseller (http://rocketmoto.com/) I was able to get a Duel Set system delivered for about $300!!! A big savings compared to the Scala units.

The SENA units come packaged really well with a manual that is easy to understand. The units are well built and were easily fitted to my helmets. Initially I didn’t think I would like the boom mic, but its perfect for a full-face helmet as it allows you to adjust the location of the mic in relation to your mouth if you are having audio problems. The speakers are thin and easy to fit in the recess made for speakers in the helmet.

I have been using the headset daily for the past 3 Months, in all types of riding conditions and have the following observations:

• Small unit – very easy to remove and fit on helmet. Waterproof and great build quality. It doesn’t look as bulky as the Scala models, or require a little antenna on the side for transmission.

• Very fast to turn on and connect to Bluetooth (and off!) – 1second!! None of the “keep finger on button for 5 or 10 seconds”

• Very easy to use: 2 Buttons – one dial button that works like an iPod – spin one way, volume goes up, spin the other – volume goes down. Tap button – chat over intercom to your friend on their intercom (up to 3 others) tap again to return to your music. Etc. The Dial button answers the phone if one is connected, and if you have an iPhone you can use the voice control – this is simply awesome – you can say things like “Call Sandy” and the iPhone will respond “Calling Sandy..” (if Sandy has several phone numbers you are asked which number to call!) You can also say “Play music by Metallica” to start your music, or “Play Album Master of Puppets” to play a particular album.

• Battery life – great - I can use the headset for at least 4-5 days, playing music over Bluetooth for 3 hours each day. Sometimes I just connect the headset to the phone and don’t play music. Depends on traffic/conditions, level of attention needed etc.

• Speakers are loud! Easiluy heard with earplugs in. For the majority of my recent riding over the past few months I have been riding a motorcycle with a Two Brothers slip on pipe. As many of you know, this slip on is quite a loud one – with earplugs and the pipe, its not a problem for the headset. Music and Intercom can be heard fine at speeds of up to 130km.

• Intercom range is good. SENA claim 900m. Have tested in a straight line to another rider and it was about right.

• Did I mention it’s easy to use? Especially when riding with gloves on - Just two buttons !

• The Units come with a wall charger that also doubles as a USB charger – ie. Connect to your PC to charge the unit. An automotive charger is also included. If you buy the duel set, you get 2 sets of everything. This is great.

• You can connect a device to the unit via a std headphone cable as well.

• Technical Support/Customer support seems good. I got some responses to queries pretty fast. I understand the warranty is good too with SENA being very proactive with warranty returns. (From what I read online)

This headset really gives great bang for the buck, and I would suggest Canadian riders try and get their hands on these. Hopefully there will be a Canadian distributor in the future.
    One last thing, phone calls are easy to make and work well while riding - a few weeks ago I was first on scene at a two car collision and using my headset in my helmet I was able to call 911 for emergency services and talk to them while using both hands to rip open a jammed car door to check on the occupants.

My rating of the SENA SMH10 is 4.5/5
    Last edited by kiwi; 06-17-2011 at 09:54 AM.

Re: SENA SMH10 - Bluetooth Stereo Headset and Intercom

thanks for the post! I will be purchasing this unit over the winter, but man does it look big on the helmet! What size is your helmet? xxs? lol cheers. thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    thanks for the post! I will be purchasing this unit over the winter, but man does it look big on the helmet! What size is your helmet? xxs? lol cheers. thanks again
    Hi. Photos seem to make it look big. I was surprised how smaller it was than I was expecting.
    I'll post some more photos with comparisons to other things.
    Oh, helmet is a medium

Hello Bros and Sis,

We, Sena Technologies are a leading provider of Motorcycle Bluetooth Headset & Intercom as you know. We prepared a smart experience-sharing event for you, Sena SMH10 users!
    Just check the link below and do not miss a chance for free SMH10. Looking forward to getting lots of feedbacks from you.
    http://www.senabluetooth.com/media_r...periences.html

Please have a chance to get SMH10 by posting your experience to facebook!
    Our Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/senabluetooth

Hello buddies,
    Thanks to your enthusiastic participation in our 1st event, we prepared 2nd round event for all the people. Just go and see the link below to participate in our Christmas event. Do not hesitate to to have a chance to become a SMH10 user. http://www.senabluetooth.com/media_review/event/share_experiences_christmas.html

Thumbs up Re: SENA SMH10 - Bluetooth Stereo Headset and Intercom

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    “Play music by Metallica” to start your music, or “Play Album Master of Puppets”
    Master of Puppets is f-ing awesome, good choice.
    With less than six months' riding experience, on my first bike -- a 600 cc, 110 BHP crotch rocket -- I rode 21,569 km around North America solo in 2011: ridermike.blogspot.com
    Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done, because I am living proof otherwise.

Space has a terrible secret. We are here to protect you from the terrible secret of space.

Sena SMH10 - New Year Sharing Event

Hello buddies,

To greet New Year, we have prepared exciting January event! Just share your experience of motorcycle riding and have a chance to win our small prize!

Click the following link below to participate in our January event.

Don't hesitate to have a chance to become a SMH10 user.

http://www.senabluetooth.com/media_r...es_201101.html

Please have a chance to get SMH10 by posting your experience to facebook!
    Our Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/senabluetooth

Just a heads up to anyone reading this thread, SENA just released a new version of the SMH10 that allows it to have firmware upgrades via a micro-USB port.

Just got my set last week and I'm having problem with one or both unit.
    I have a nokia E63 and a sony vivaz pro mobile phone in canada and a samsung U350 for US.

One will connect to E63 and vivaz pro no problem but not to the U350 and the other is vice versa. But it will disconnect once I tried playing music with E63

Intercom and playing music via corded ipod is fairly good.

You can buy locally at Parker Bros.
    "Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of bad experience comes from bad judgment."

Great review!

Sena released the SMH5 which is smaller than the SMH10 but retains most of the major functions. I posted a question about it in another thread hoping to get some real world opinions.

Having used smh10 for a year and now with iphone 4 plus the new 4.0 firmware update. i totally recommend it to anybody. Easy to use is a great plus and it held even at - 5C, snow and rain.

My first set was scala dual set and i literally tore it out from my helmet for making me miss an important call after a short rain.
    http://www.revzilla.com/2012-bluetoo...t=01_bluetooth smh10 as compared to smh5 and other new BT
    '02 Silver Super Blackbird
    '06 Black Bandit 650 S
    '93 Red Bandit 400
    '89 Blue CB-1 400

I crashed on my SMH-10. Like full-on-taking-100%-of-the-impact-falling-off-my-bike-low-sided.

The SMH-10 still works today.
    With less than six months' riding experience, on my first bike -- a 600 cc, 110 BHP crotch rocket -- I rode 21,569 km around North America solo in 2011: ridermike.blogspot.com
    Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done, because I am living proof otherwise.

Space has a terrible secret. We are here to protect you from the terrible secret of space.

I will update this review shortly with comments of v4 firmware

I ordered the SMH5 today. Will post a review once it arrives and I've had a chance to use it.

[EDIT]
    Bought mine here: http://www.cyclebots.com

Use this discount code for $15 off: advrider

Total including shipping was about $207 for a dual set (shipping to Canada is $9.99).
    [/EDIT]
    Last edited by AF4iK; 04-11-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Thanks for the review kiwi. I will place an order soon.
    2009 Ninja 250r (June, 2011 - present)

The only problem with this unit is that EVERYONE has a scala. Originally I was gonna go with the SMH-10 but then I realized that I would be talking with no one... So I got the G4 instead.
    "They Say At 100MPH Water Feels Like Concrete, Just Imagine What Concrete Feels Like At 100mph" - Nicky Hayden

>< VC 01.

The only problem with this unit is that EVERYONE has a scala. Originally I was gonna go with the SMH-10 but then I realized that I would be talking with no one... So I got the G4 instead.
    I'm more concerned with chatting to any passenger I may have and my usual riding friend who has the SENA as well. No Need to chat to anyone else.. lol!

I use the headset for my commute rather than group rides. Hand signals work fine, like in the days before all these gizmos

Quote Originally Posted by whetaus-tr View Post
    Thanks for the review kiwi. I will place an order soon.
    no worries. Shop around as you can get some good prices. Also, buy from someone who is a true dealer for the product rather than ebay or something. Just incase you need to have warranty etc. I got mine from Rocket Motor in the US way before that had a Canadian distributor. There was a Group buy on ADV Rider at the time. Special intro price at the time was $US299 for a Dual Set! Awesome

Got mine in EBAY i will post the seller later but I had no problem with them (SENA)replacing my unit when I had a problem.

I was thinking of getting Scala but bad experience from my scala crapping out in the rain made me hate their product, also at 300$ it was more economical than the G4(450$), with already great review last year.

I like how the V4 talk i.e., unit on, connected to media, connected to phone etc.