Anyone else get bullied by the wind?

Thread: Anyone else get bullied by the wind?

Question Anyone else get bullied by the wind?

I tried to go for a long ride today, but the high winds nearly threw me off several times. On the highway (404), I was whipped from the windward side of the lane to the far side.

I tried to lean on the tank to help but when I traveled perpendicular to the wind, I honestly felt like I was gonna low side every time. I just didn't feel all that comfortable fighting the wind, especially on the highway. Even when trucks were on the windward side, I was thrown around. I guess the sustained constant winds were bearable, because I could lean into them, but it was the sudden gusts that were way too uncomfortable.

I had no problem going into the wind or go with it. Floating into oncoming traffic did not sound like a good way to spend my day. So I broke up the remaining ride by coming home on the smaller roads. But I was even bullied on those. While going slow, and braking, sudden gusts would make me feel like I was fish tailing.

I did notice a few other bikes today, I hope they were more successful than I was. How did everyone else do?

Re: Anyone else get bullied by the wind?

hahaha i hear you. i had to go on the Skyway today for the first time on a bike... terrifying. not to mention on the way there the highway was all tore up and grooved which made the ride even more interesting...

I found countersteering into it rather than body-leaning to be more effective. Not always that easy to anticipate when you are contending with sudden gusts of 50km/h or more (like today). Loosen your death grip on the controls is also good for most any riding situation. Lane positioning also plays a key role, so give yourself the most possible room to drift with a sudden gust without crossing into oncoming or adjacent lanes.

Bikes are definitely not as stable as weightier vehicles like cars in strong cross-winds.

Couldn't really tell when I rode to work....took local streets =/ so wind issue was not an issue for me. Hopefully it won't rain....looks like its getting a bit darker right now >_<

Yes, I felt like I was being pushed around today. A tree fell down on my commute too.
    Current:
    2001 EX500

Previous:
    2007 CBR125R (1 season)

no...

man up...

Yeah, no death grip is right and countersteer is right, too. I did about 250km today, took a little more effort than usual but no big issues.
    Just gotta be very relaxed and don't try to fight anything. Nevertheless, I remember it was harder facing the wind on my little 250 with narrow tires than it is on the SV and even the SV is a light bike with medium size rubber.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

I rather enjoy riding in high winds, especially on the hwy. Makes the ride more interesting and fun. Is it just me
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Quote Originally Posted by ajrt View Post
    hahaha i hear you. i had to go on the Skyway today for the first time on a bike... terrifying. not to mention on the way there the highway was all tore up and grooved which made the ride even more interesting...
    Ahh what a crappy day to try out the Skyway for the first time! I took it this morning when it was calm, but went for Eastport this afternoon when the trees were blowing horizontal and it was spitting rain!

I'm interested to feel the difference from my 250 to when I upgrade to a 600. Felt like I was on a constant 30 degree angle from vertical the whole way home, with my tires feeling like they were about to slide out at any second!

Also spotted a big old tree down, on top of some rich Lakeshore Rd house!
    Rachel M.
    2007 Honda CBR600 RR
    2006 Kawasaki EX250 [Sold]
    2002 Subaru WRX [ST2 167]

generally enjoyed my ride from downtown toronto to hamilton (just arrived hamilton an hour ago). saw the high wind warning up on the board but leaned low and was ok. would ride as long as i can....
    I’d rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.

Keep those knees tucked against the tank and hands and arms loose at the grips. I noticed it was a "two-foot-down-day" while at a red light, sudden gust made me get my right foot down in a hurry. It gets easier the more you ride and the more confident you are.

the wind doesnt bother me at all, like it actually. Keeps me more alert, constantly reacting to what the wind does to the bike. I find the wind blows my car around more than it effects me on my bike.
    keep the windy days comin!! lol