Textile gear test - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Textile gear test

Re: Textile gear test

Quote Originally Posted by arekzjawin View Post
    A little follow up:
    To my great disappointment I have to say that the Alpinestars Ridge boots failed. After over 1.5hours in todays rain my toes got wet!! Those were suppose to by waterproof boots!? What happened?!
    Am I suppose to apply some magical spray on them every time I use them in the rain?
    I will apply a nice layer of polishing paste and if they fail again, I will write to A* to change the description on the label from waterproof to water resistant.

Cheers and Ride safe.
    I think they are waterproof enough, but they are too short so water goes up past the cuffs of your pants and into them. My Alpinestar Web Goretex have been totally waterproof as long as my pants were low enough on the boots.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Quote Originally Posted by ecab View Post
    Olympia AST - good armor fits snug, uses 2000 denier and 500 denier Dupont Cordura for good abrasion resistance - same material as Aerostitch Roadcrafter and other high end suits use. 1000 denier Cordura is supposed to have the same abrasion resistance as 1.3mm leather. Comfortable from ~26C to ~5C with good hot weather venting/airflow. Better value than BMW or Rukka.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWOCxZGf_Pg
    +1 on the Olympia AST 3/4 length jacket - very well made jacket.
    +1 on the Alpinestars web gortex boots - very comfortable for walking around in too and come up to mid-calf unlike the low-cut Ridge boots.
    Both have kept me completely dry while riding in torrential downpours for hours on end.

For pants I use the Alpinestars dry-star pants which are awesome for waterproofness, but the knee armour is a little too low.
    Teknic also makes a good pant in the Hyrdoguard - again, completely waterproof as tested in major downpours.
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

Quote Originally Posted by boooya View Post
    This rite here is an amazing piece of equipment.
    http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/ind.../Survivor_Suit
    Like V-Tom says its not stylish but like him I'm have moved beyond that and am now looking for something that just works.
    That looks really interesting. How does it handle long tours into stupid hot weather, and the opposite, stupid cold? What temperature extremes are you comfortable in?

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    That looks really interesting. How does it handle long tours into stupid hot weather, and the opposite, stupid cold? What temperature extremes are you comfortable in?
    I have worn my Aerostich Roadcrafter in weather ranging from -16c (commuting to work. 58 km/45 minute ride) to all day in temps around 34 to 38 and very humid.

For colder weather I use fleace pants and jacket and someitmes an extra jacket under the Roadcrafter and add heat if it is a long (many hours) ride; for hot weather moisture wicking t-shirt and lots of open vents etc makes a big difference. Only hot when stopped so I avoid stopping.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

It's worth searching out textiles constructed of a minimum of 500 denier Cordura (Aerostich, Olympia) or those that use it in combination with Kevlar (Rukka, Klim). The rest is just dubious protection no matter what keen features are included and are no real no step up from regular clothing.
    "...with extreme prejudice."
    www.mapleafmoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by MapleafMike View Post
    It's worth searching out textiles constructed of a minimum of 500 denier Cordura (Aerostich, Olympia) or those that use it in combination with Kevlar (Rukka, Klim). The rest is just dubious protection no matter what keen features are included and are no real no step up from regular clothing.
    I disagree with this statement.

This jacket saved me after a collision with a deer in 2007, in fact other than it no longer being waterproof, I wore it for another year and use it for off road riding.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    In total it has 3 zippers that run down the middle and a windproof flap that covers them all up. It has a very cleverly designed front mesh opening about 4" wide and from top to bottom on the front of the jacket. It also has 2 big vents on the back. I`ve used it as high as 36, it was fine when moving but hot at a stand still.
    The coldest I've had it out was -2 with just a t-shirt and sweat shirt under it and was comfortably cool lol. It have a thermal removable vest and big wind flap on the inside to prevent and wind from making it thru the zippers.
    I've also had it in torrential downpours and didn't get the least bit wet, this jacket is 100% waterproof. All the zippers are sealed.
    On the topic of zippers and storage this jacket has tons, including a big storage zipper down by your rear end that will fit maps, rain gear, etc.
    I would say its comfortable range with just a t-shirt on would be low teens to mid 20's

There is a really good review with pics on here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=524365&page=2
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

I don't think it will work for me, as I've done three multiday trips this year, Deals Gap and Cabot Trail, both of which were in the mid to high 30's. I'll check out the review though.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)