Port Hope loop Ride report

Thread: Port Hope loop Ride report

Port Hope loop Ride report

Inspired by LesMcLuffAlot's report about his boot around Thunder Bay I found myself out for a ride the other day with camera in hand so....

The ride started with the intention of only going out for an hour or so before the weather was to turn bad. I first went out and grabbed the GTA photo tag (which still stands as I put this report together) Angus Glen Golf Course.

At first I was going to move the tag south into the core of the city but decided to grab a coffee first. The local Tim's was packed so I headed east..about 65km's to Port Perry

Like a motorcycle farm; ducks in the front, hogs off to the side. You will find dozens of bikes here at any given time throughout the weekends, in and out all day long.

This is where I ditched the photo tag idea and decided to do a ride report.
    Further east along the 7A. Pretty straight with some long sweepers but can be scenic and I think worth the ride out towards Rice lake.

A pretty quick 40k and it is South onto Scenic Route 10. A nice twisty country road south to Port Hope. Along the way I came across this church. I do not know why I stopped but I thought it was a beautiful building and my wife loves this style of architecture.

I'am not in anyway a religious man but I was incredibly moved by some of the tombstones in the grave yard. So many marked only as "Infant Child" or marked with ages that were that of children dating back to mid-late 1800's. I Googled the church when I got home and found it was run my a Rev. who shares my last name and it is not at all a common name. I have only met 3-4 others.

South bound on Route 10. A beautiful country road through farm lands and small towns.

30+km's south into Port Hope on the edge of Lake Ontario then it is quick right onto a nice twisty, lowspeed cruise through the residential areas along the Lakeshore.

This goes on for another 25km's.

You can see Lake Ontario off to the left and the road reappear in the distance on the right. This road is very popular with motorcyclists and to all who stopped to see if I was OK when they noticed my bike parked and me up the street,...Thanks Ladies!

Once again the Lake in the back ground under the railway bridges.

Along the route, on the shores of Lake Ontario sits one of the largest icons of government incompetence, the Wesleyville Generating Station. Built in the mid-70's complete, except for generators. http://www.northumberlandtoday.com/A...aspx?e=2555848

An old wooden bridge over the railway tracks towards the lake. hmmmm...good photo tag spot.

The last stretch heading towards Bond Head.

I stopped in at the Port of Newcastle Marina as although technically I was heading home for the last 25k this is my official spot where the run ends and the return trip begins.

Before leaving a group of riders came in. They were on a Memorial Run for their friend and fellow rider Jeff Leaf who had passed away due to cancer. That is his daughter on the right, it was her first ride. RIP Jeff.

I spoke with these guys for awhile. Great group of people. I actually followed them up the road for a bit. The guy in front of me had an old 2 stroke Water Buffalo. I ended up smelling like a chainsaw, and loved it!

Unfortunately it was at this point that my SD card decided it did not want to transfer any more photos to my computer and quit being an SD card. I tried and tried but none of the devices I own even recognize it as an SD card any more. (It must of run out of pixels) It is a shame as I took plenty of photos on the return trip home and around Stouffville to give riders such as LesMcLuffAlot a window into where we, in the GTA, live and ride. I actually found it very enjoyable to keep an eye out for photo ops and it made me appreciate the beauty of the areas close to home.

I cannot wait to share this run with my friends from the Anyone in the Northern GTA... thread. I don't think they will stop while I take replacements of the photos I lost though.

Regards and ride safe.
    Dave

Re: Port Hope loop Ride report

Nice - I'm always discovering new little gems within a day of the GTA. Will add a Port Hope jaunt into list - usually just slab through.
    Love the bridge

Looks like it was a nice ride. I gotta take a whole day off work sometime and just go somewhere. Always mean to do it - just never get around to it but .....life's too short to miss out on stuff like this!

Beautiful ... gotta get out there sometime. Love that church. Thanks

Thanks for sharing.

Pssst! It'd be nice if you threw in a google map link for us to follow along with. :P

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Hi D

Is this the basic route (map) that you took .

Code:
    http://www.motowhere.com/maps/route/Port-Hope-Backroads
    Just copy and paste link to your browser

Nice! :*)

There is a much, much better route from PP to Port Hope, let me know if you want it. Also, I know several great rides through the Northumberland Hills/Trent Hills. Great riding around here...
    2002 Hayabusa
    2012 Hayabusa
    2015 Hayabusa

Great pix, Dave.
    I love that Hwy-10 ride from Millbrook down to Port Hope. I've done this annually and always include short hop over to Cobourg Harbor's Division St. Pier.
    Now I wanna check-out that Port of Newcastle Marnia....
    Last edited by IXFe; 09-27-2010 at 12:45 PM.

i have the privelage of riding the section of #10 from millbrook to port hope all the time. great stretch of road. lots of great riding and my wife and i ride to the picton area all the time through port hope and along the lakeshore but the lake is on my right.
    it's hard out here for a pimp
    2000 valkyrie interstate
    great hair

Dave, I did not realize you are such a good story-teller. This is the type of postings that bring value to GTAM and its members. Great contribution. Keep this up.

Dave, if you need help with photography in future rides, I am more than happy to assist. I like photography. I have 2 memory cards on my camera.

Finally found it, great report Dave, and thanks for sharing this route with us on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by roadhamr View Post
    i have the privelage of riding the section of #10 from millbrook to port hope all the time.
    Same here. It's my commute to work. 10 north to millbrook, east on 21 (wallace point road) and in to Peterborough.
    http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/306/signaturelj4.jpg

My wife and I found ourself on hwy 10 this weekend and I remembered reading your post here. So we kept going south into Port Hope and then east on lakeshore. It was a quite beautiful and hardly any traffic.

Thanks for the tip.