Tire question - How long do they last on the track?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tire question - How long do they last on the track?

Tire question - How long do they last on the track?

So I bought a couple of sets of scrubs from a forum member, i've used them with zero issues. Tires seem fine, almost no blueing.....

Sold a rear to a buddy, who took it to a 'racer' -->who claims that the rear tire has 100+ laps on it.

The sides are above the wear bars 2-4mm at MOST. With TONS of meat in the middle.

How long do track tires last?

The rear tire in question was run in the soar amature series class, on a 06 or 07 R6.

Re: Tire question - How long do they last on the track?

This will be good

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    This will be good
    I bet!....i have my popcorn out.

But seriously...100+ laps! how can a tire last that long!? and have ZERO bluing and still have edges left!

seesh i've never been to the track...and even that sounds crazy to me

I qualified on pole last year at Shannonville on a front tire with about 200 laps on it.

I can put about 70-80 laps on a rear before its ****ed.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    I qualified on pole last year at Shannonville on a front tire with about 200 laps on it.

I can put about 70-80 laps on a rear before its ****ed.
    How about rears?

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    How about rears?
    I think he said 70-80 laps in his post. But how did the racer know the tires your friend showed him had 100 laps on it?

Aren't you the guy that is always giving advice on what to put on your bike and working on other people's bikes with RAVE reviews?

If you are charging money to work on people's bikes, shouldn't you have the answers to these questions?

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...view+frekeyguy

Aren't you the guy that is always giving advice on what to put on your bike and working on other people's bikes with RAVE reviews?

If you are charging money to work on people's bikes, shouldn't you have the answers to these questions?

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...view+frekeyguy

Well I don't write the reviews.

If I knew the answer I wouldn't be asking, since I don't, I'd appreciate opinions/answers.

And its not like I know EVERYTHING like you. That's why I was looking for a honest answer.

I bought the tire off a reputable person, who you've prob met along the way, and who is a nice person and all.

I made a honest sale, now he comes back saying that i was screwing with him...well almost.

simple fix.

take the tires back and refund the clown's money.

you'll have no problem selling the tires elsewhere.

simple fix.

take the tires back and refund the clown's money.

you'll have no problem selling the tires elsewhere.
    didnt think about that.

thanks for the simple solution.

Well they'r from my pile of spares....which i wasn't even going to sell initially.

The racing community is small.

Who is this 'racer' with laser lap-counting vision?

I can only think of 3 riders at SOAR in Novice on a newer R6.

post pic of said tires...for educational purposes
    For sale, 2007 Aprilia SXV 450 Supermoto
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...prilia-sxv-450

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    I bet!....i have my popcorn out.

But seriously...100+ laps! how can a tire last that long!? and have ZERO bluing and still have edges left!

seesh i've never been to the track...and even that sounds crazy to me

I have a set with 500 laps. ZERO bluing and it still has edges left, they actually look pretty good. They were my first set ever. Give those to your tire oracle and see what he says lol
    "Bro... it's an exotic..."

SOAR Novice #37

Well we are on the topic of how long tires last @ the track, I have a question. This year I bought my first track bike.
    Its an older F4i and has been great. I put a brand new set of Pirelli Diablo superbike pro slicks on it at the start of the season.
    I have since put about 500km on the tires at the track. I have not used tire warmers at all and the tires are typically getting 5-7 heat cycles a day. (5 track days on them so far, 1 was a rainy-day write-off and I did very very little riding.)
    I couldn't help but notice that my front appears to be wearing out much faster then my rear. The front wear indicators are down to a couple mm, while the rear indicators are still 5-6mm. I'm aware that due to heat cycles these tires are getting near end of life but I find it intersting that the front is wearing much faster then the fronts in terms of meat. The wear patterns of both tires would appear that the suspension is set up pretty close to me and show a nice ripple with no tearing.

I'm not to sure how I'll know when the tires are totally gone other then pushing to the very limit and losing grip in a corner.. I don't think I'll hit the bottoms of the wear indicators in another track day. What is the guage people use before moving on to a new set of tires?
    Last edited by Syphen; 09-20-2010 at 02:19 PM.

2001 CBR600F4i
    1992 CBR250RR

Getting CLOSE to the end of their life??

those tires were done about 200km ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Syphen View Post
    Well we are on the topic of how long tires last @ the track, I have a question. This year I bought my first track bike.
    Its an older F4i and has been great. I put a brand new set of Pirelli Diablo superbike pro slicks on it at the start of the season.
    I have since put about 500km on the tires at the track. I have not used tire warmers at all and the tires are typically getting 5-7 heat cycles a day. (5 track days on them so far, 1 was a rainy-day write-off and I did very very little riding.)
    I couldn't help but notice that my front appears to be wearing out much faster then my rear. The front wear indicators are down to a couple mm, while the rear indicators are still 5-6mm. I'm aware that due to heat cycles these tires are getting near end of life but I find it intersting that the front is wearing much faster then the fronts in terms of meat. The wear patterns of both tires would appear that the suspension is set up pretty close to me and show a nice ripple with no tearing.

I'm not to sure how I'll know when the tires are totally gone other then pushing to the very limit and losing grip in a corner.. I don't think I'll hit the bottoms of the wear indicators in another track day. What is the guage people use before moving on to a new set of tires?

I don't know much about tires, but the last time recip told me my tires were toast, I lowsided a session later LOL
    "Bro... it's an exotic..."

SOAR Novice #37

I'm not to sure how I'll know when the tires are totally gone other then pushing to the very limit and losing grip in a corner..
    that's how I was able to tell a tire was done, even though it was barely worn at all. Dave B did tell me it was ****, but I used it anyway. oops.

I don't know about that.. I was at the Shannonville on saturday for the Riders Choice day. I ran in the intermediate group. I'm certainly not the fastest guy out there. Mid-pack at best. I was still able to push the bike and it felt planted still. Knee down and blasting everywhere. It was good fun. It slid on me once coming around that infield at turn 5 on long track but I think that was a dip or something that unsettled the bike. It didn't feel like my tires were giving out. These new superbike pros were sold to my by Orion motorsports @ Mosport (Superbike weekend). They told me that these are a new compound that is good for track days and is capable of handling heat cycles better then the SC compounds.

2001 CBR600F4i
    1992 CBR250RR

I don't know about that.. I was at the Shannonville on saturday for the Riders Choice day. I ran in the intermediate group. I'm certainly not the fastest guy out there. Mid-pack at best. I was still able to push the bike and it felt planted still. Knee down and blasting everywhere. It was good fun. It slid on me once coming around that infield at turn 5 on long track but I think that was a dip or something that unsettled the bike. It didn't feel like my tires were giving out. These new superbike pros were sold to my by Orion motorsports @ Mosport (Superbike weekend). They told me that these are a new compound that is good for track days and is capable of handling heat cycles better then the SC compounds.
    Are you on the Superbike race slicks or are you on the trackday slick? Whatever its called... they are very different tires. Based on your description I am under the impression that you're on the trackday slick.

They are not race tires. They don't really belong in the discussion we're having here as they are so different.

interesting.

At 2:17 today, you were not aware of when a tire was past its useful life.

at 2:33 you're telling me I don't know what I'm talking about?

how many laps did you do in that 16 minute period?