$1200 bill after low-siding in Caledon

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $1200 bill after low-siding in Caledon

Angry $1200 bill after low-siding in Caledon

I had a nasty low side at Terracotta this July. Someone called 911 because I'm sure it looked bad, however I didn't call. Police, Fire, and EMS showed up. I didn't require any assistance: the road was fine, I was off to the shoulder, and didn't need any medical attention nor received any. No charges were laid. I ended up fixing up the fairings on my bike and didn't go through insurance because there was no need.

I recently received a bill from the City of Caledon for almost $1200 for the emergency response. I didnt require nor use their services so how do they justify the bill. When did tax payers start paying for emergency responses, especially when I didn't call or require any of their services. I will be contacting their offices Monday to dispute the bill .

Opinions or past experiences?

Re: $1200 bill after low-siding in Caledon

thats bizzare....that wait what.... i dont get it.
    Driving a cage is to have sanity forced upon you.

not sure about caledon. But in Toronto, I know every tax payer would have to pay for the EMS to show up. Good luck to your dispute and let us know the outcome..
    Past rides: 08 Lime green Kawi Ninja 250R - Awesome beginner bike!
    Current ride: 01 Honda F4i

We do pay for EMS, but last time I had an ambulance summoned, the fine was $90 or so for the ride. My employer covered it under my benefits. However, how you rationalize a $1200 fee for services you didn't need, or use, is beyond me.

i didnt think they charged for anything other then an ambulance ride. So if i lived in caledon and my house was getting robbed i'd have to pay for the police to show up? I had a car accident in 05 in markham with full response, didn't pay a cent.
    Driving a cage is to have sanity forced upon you.

I would not pay this bill, not only did you not call them but they didn't do anything for you. Its like someone showing up at your house demanding you pay them for the job they did for you, even-though they did nothing.

If you don't live in the area, you don't receive emergency fire services for free. Unfortunately a fire truck is sent automatically whenever 911 is called regardless if you need it or not. Your insurance should settle the bill. Ambulances are more reasonable, usually around $40-$90 depending on distance. So if you ever get into a minor accident that you can walk or ride away from, do not call 911.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

i would be looking at this as someone who received a bill in error...i would not admit to anything personally only because they may look for any reason why you should pay for something you did not require...of course investigate and call them up asking why you received a bill for services not rendered...if they have a record of you from the police, you were simply off the side of the road requiring a tow truck, not fire, ambulance and popo...

That's a hefty bill. I hope you don't have to pay it considering you didn't place the call.

This is unfortunately common place now. The city of Burlington is another city that will charge if services sent to out of city residents. Good think I pay property taxes, taxes, and other taxes.

Personally I think it's ********.
    Son, observe the time and fly from evil.
    Ecc.IV.23.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDog View Post
    Good think I pay property taxes, taxes, and other taxes.
    ....and more taxes.

We are ****ed in this country so much with these taxes, my *** is starting to feel sore.

You didn't call - they provided no service when they arrived - I wouldn't pay a cent. Tell them to go after who ever called 911. If you were concious after the mishap, the person that called 911 should have talked to you first before calling out the troops (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Green Meenie View Post
    You didn't call - they provided no service when they arrived - I wouldn't pay a cent. Tell them to go after who ever called 911. If you were concious after the mishap, the person that called 911 should have talked to you first before calling out the troops (IMO).
    Personally if I was in an accident I would hope someone called 911. Blaming somebody with good intentions who obviously cared about his well being is just wrong, it's the system that seems ****ed.

Unfortunately, someone may have thought someone was seriously hurt seeing a motorcycle on its side (which is a pretty safe assumption to make). Also worth noting is that seconds count in these scenarios, so the person felt obliged to respond before sorting out your condition. Good luck with that problem, my sense is you'll be stuck paying.

When I had a small get-off in June, people couldn't get their phones out quick enough. Everyone wanted to make the call to 911 to finally justify the years and years that they have been paying for this phone they got in case of "an emergency". Thankfully I was able to tell everyone to NOT call 911. I would hate to get a huge bill like that for services I didn't need. Best of luck.
    "Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines."
    General "Buck" Turgidson, (George C. Scott)
    Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

2007 R1200GS with an identity crisis.

sometimes its better not to help... people should evaluate the situation first ... eg, you dont give a man CPR just cuz hes down

had a small accident in brampton once, needed a tow, but no ambulance or anything. cops were called, ambulance, firetruck.. whole shabang.
    Luckily I was a resident of the city at the time, I got charged nothing... but since you arent a resident of caledon ....
    '04 CBR1000RR

Banned

Nope.. you have to pay now for whoever shows up like it or not.. ambulance, fire truck cops etc.. this pay for gas and time taken to look over you even if they dident.. so good luck on fighting with the city... cause you'll loose. sorry to say..

On average it's $350 plus per fire truck. Then the road crew, police, Ambulance .... Demand a complete break down of the bill and dispute it. Tell them the send it to the person who called 911.

If you ever hit a guard rail on the highway run. TWD charges $400 for a blocker truck just to show up to the accident. I heard of one bill being $25,000 plus for repairing a guard rail including a $3000 admin fee.

Caledon seems to have a thing going against motorcycles. They are in the process of approving a bylaw that will allow police to pull riders over, perform a sound check, and charge a rider if the bike is too loud. After sitting through a council meeting, this doesn't surprise me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    Caledon seems to have a thing going against motorcycles. They are in the process of approving a bylaw that will allow police to pull riders over, perform a sound check, and charge a rider if the bike is too loud. After sitting through a council meeting, this doesn't surprise me at all.
    normal people generally don't "hate" something for no reason.