"Prohibited Right Turn" affect insurance?

Thread: "Prohibited Right Turn" affect insurance?

"Prohibited Right Turn" affect insurance?

So driving my car the other day in downtown Toronto, I was pulled over and given a ticket for "Prohibited Right Turn" in contravention to a City of Toronto bylaw. The fine is minimal, but if this could affect my insurance I would consider fighting it. It's a bylaw infraction, not a HTA offense, so I would assume to insurance this isn't considered a traffic conviction and wouldn't be reported - do I have that right?

Ian

Re: "Prohibited Right Turn" affect insurance?

It can effect your insurance in the same way that a HTA infraction can.

195. (1) If a provision of a municipal by-law passed by the council of a municipality or a police services board for,
    (a) regulating traffic on the highways;

(b) regulating noise, fumes or smoke created by the operation of motor vehicles on the highways; or

(c) prohibiting or regulating the operation of motor vehicles or any type or class thereof on the highways,
    is inconsistent with this Act or the regulations, the provision of the by-law shall be deemed to be repealed upon the inconsistency arising. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 195 (1); 1996, c. 33, s. 15 (1); 2002, c. 17, Sched. F, Table.

(2) Repealed: 1996, c. 33, s. 15 (2).

Approval of traffic by-laws for connecting links

(3) If the council of a municipality passes a by-law for a purpose mentioned in clause (1) (a) or (c) that affects traffic on a highway designated as a connecting link under subsection 21 (1) of the Public Transportation and Highway Improvement Act, the clerk of the municipality shall file a copy of the by-law with the Ministry within 30 days of its passing, and the by-law shall not become operative until it is approved by the Ministry. 1996, c. 33, s. 15 (2).

Approval of traffic by-law in whole or in part

(4) Any by-law for regulating traffic on highways that is submitted to the Ministry for approval may be approved in whole or in part and, where part of a by-law is approved only, that part shall become operative. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 195 (4).

Withdrawal of approval by Ministry

(5) The Ministry may withdraw its approval to any by-law or any part thereof by notice sent by registered mail to the clerk of the municipality and the by-law or part thereof shall be deemed to be repealed twenty-one days after the sending of the notice. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 195 (5).
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Banned

Bylaw infractions do not appear on your driver's abstract, and as such will have no effect on your insurance rates.

prohibited right turn will most likely get plea bargained down to obstructing pedestrian traffic.