Caledon Noise Bylaw for motorcycles

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caledon Noise Bylaw for motorcycles

Caledon Noise Bylaw for motorcycles

Have you been woken at night by the sound of loud motorcycles or had your voice drowned out by passing motorcycles when you are trying to enjoy some quiet moments on your deck?
    If so you will be interested to know that the Town of Caledon is proposing a noise bylaw amendment that will restrict motorcycle noise to that which is produced by motorcycle manufacturers stock equipment.
    Effectively the bylaw will make it an offense in Caledon to use altered mufflers or after market products that create more noise than the stock components of motorcycle manufacturers.

There was a Public Information meeting scheduled for Wednesday Sept 8, 2010 at 7:30 PM in the Council Chambers at Town Hall in Caledon East.

This was the result of the meeting that took place in July 2010
    Luc Fournier, Director of Policy and Government Relations for the Motorcycle and Moped Industry Council (MMIC), came to Caledon council Tuesday to present an idea for how the Town may be able to determine whether your motorcycle is too loud.
    Motorcycle noise has been on the minds of the OPP, councilors and residents in Caledon recently as the debate has raged on what is acceptable, what is too loud, and what to do considering a policy and possible enforcement of the issue. The MMIC is endorsing a test, known as the J2825, that outlines ideal decibel levels for bikes, and allows a municipality to set a standard it can test for. It also sets out a standard for performance of the test, and provides description of the equipment needed to perform that test.
    "We’ve been trying to look at innovative ways to combat a problem in town," said Staff Sergeant Greg Sweeney of the Caledon OPP before introducing Fournier.
    "Jurisdictions in Canada have had little to no success in measuring and enforcing excessive noise.
    "Three years ago, the Society of Automotive Engineers worked to create the SAE J2825 test," said Fournier.
    According to Fournier, he’s presented the test all over the country to municipalities dealing with the same issue. "The noise emission issue is rising here (Canada) and in the U.S. This is not unique to your municipality," he said.
    He also explained that the MMIC understands why municipalities are having difficulties developing policies for this particular issue. Communities are split between those who ride motorcycles as a hobby, and do so ethically, he said, and those who take advantage of the ability to create noise, and those who do not participate in the hobby and wonder what is proper, and what is excessive.
    The MMIC believes this test will not only establish a way for authorities to ticket riders causing excessive noise, but will also establish a standard that will show when riders are not causing a problem, or breaking the law should council create a bylaw for authorities to enforce. They also believe this is an issue in which a small part of the riding community is causing 100 per cent of the problems, and having a set standard will ease the minds and concerns of the members of the community who don’t ride.
    "We want to be part of the solution," said Fournier. "We want to improve the image of the sport. What we want is a standardized approach. We want all jurisdictions to use the same approach when dealing with excessive noise."
    The test is simply the placing of a sound meter, a piece of equipment that can range between $700 and $15,000 according to Fournier, 20 inches from the rear of the motorcycles’ tailpipe at a set angle. The reader displays the decibel level given off by the bike. The test suggests municipalities look for a decibel level under 92 for a motorcycle at idle, and under 96-100 for certain RPM’s on bikes with differing amounts of cylinders.
    To show the council what some everyday decibel levels are Fournier displayed a chart showing that a food blender is 88 decibels, a radio or television is typically 70 decibels, conversation is typically 60 decibels, and a rock concert is 110 decibels.
    Ward 2 Regional Councilor Allan Thompson asked if council would support asking Mayor Marilyn Morrison to endorse and advertise the test to the Association of Municipalities of Ontario.
    "Or other agencies to have this enforced provincially," said Thompson. "We need other municipalities support. We need everyone on board."
    Morrison said she "would be happy to take this to the AMO."
    Ward 3 and 4 Area Councilor Nick deBoer said he could see this being a very effective tool for the community and wondered how many municipalities felt the same?
    "I think this is very straightforward. What kind of buy in are you getting in other communities?"
    Fournier explained that the municipality of Edmonton has "moved ahead" with the test - passing a bylaw and is beginning to look at community bikes and ticket those that give off excessive noise.
    "I also think it’s important to point out that this is in support of the industry," said deBoer. And Fournier agreed. He explained at the beginning of his presentation this was not meant as a deterrent, that any bikes that had not been modified in any fashion were passing the test.
    "We would have an issue when customers purchase units with all (the) original equipment and receive (a) ticket for excessive noise," he said. "But, we are not seeing that."
    "All brand new motorcycles, or stock bikes at dealerships passed. Those with no after market modifications also passed," he added. "Buy new, keep (it) in good working order, and don’t make any after market modifications and you should pass."
    Ward 1 Area Councilor Doug Beffort asked if they had experience with antique bikes because he knew of residents who rode as a hobby and maintained older machines, but he didn’t want to see them run into problems.
    Fournier said any testing of antique bikes that had been maintained well had been given passing grades so far.
    Beffort also asked what the usual result was of a failed test in the municipalities now restricting noise.
    "Do the bikes get taken away?"
    "No. They get a ticket," answered Fournier.
    Ward 3 & 4 Regional Councilor Richard Whitehead asked Sweeney if the OPP was indeed in favour of the initiative.
    Sweeney answered yes.

From what I have heard this will be all in place and testing and tickets will start in October.
    Most of this was started by the residents of Belfountian, I live in the area and haven't ridden through Belfountian in years and I ride to Erin 5 days a week to work.
    This summer has seen many tickets handed out for pipes and what the OPP deem non DOT helmets in Belfountian every weekend, why even bother to go there and spend $5.00 on a bottle of water and the coffee isn't all that good either.

Re: Caledon Noise Bylaw for motorcycles

****** the forks

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photog...sx-r1000-1.jpg

09 GSXR 1000- (aka- My Baby)
    07 GSXR 600 (aka- sex hundred)- Stolen
    02 SV650 (aka- trumpet)- Stolen
    03 GS500(aka- My First Love)- Crashed

(I quit therapy because my analyst was trying to help me behind my back.)
    .............................$$$$Caught ya you looked$$$$

<yawn>

Another Belfountain resident signs up and throws out a lure.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    So it's ok for hooligan riders and drivers to endanger the lives of impaired drivers?
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    Unfortunately, since we seldom put people in jail for traffic offences

Why is this proposed law only targeting motorcycles? If you're going to impose a law to limit noise, it should apply to all vehicles. Someone mowing their lawn is a lot more bothersome than a motorcycle passing by but I'm not going to ***** and moan about it, that's life.

Well, a bud and I rode into Belfountain on Sunday morning for a quiet coffee break when two V-Twinners with thru exhaust decided to let it loose at the intersection just as the local church was celebrating some kind of an anniversary.

A hundred folks heard the noise of these two dudes afterwhich they clanced over to us on our Metric bikes. Very uncomfortable to say the least.

We would have liked to thank those a**h***s with a kick to their ****.

Any by-law that comes into effect will negatively impact all bikers because of a few bad ones.
    One bike isn't enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Rixter View Post

From what I have heard this will be all in place and testing and tickets will start in October.
    Most of this was started by the residents of Belfountian, I live in the area and haven't ridden through Belfountian in years and I ride to Erin 5 days a week to work.
    This summer has seen many tickets handed out for pipes and what the OPP deem non DOT helmets in Belfountian every weekend, why even bother to go there and spend $5.00 on a bottle of water and the coffee isn't all that good either.
    Because I can and I am free to do so and will continue to do so. Nice try

We are not that stupid you know, even if you think we are as seen in movies and portraited by the news. By the way, I was there on Sunday and the coffee is pretty good

Now run along and go back to your Bellfountain park bench
    Last edited by ZX600; 09-14-2010 at 02:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

Quote Originally Posted by Mercaholic View Post
    Well, a bud and I rode into Belfountain on Sunday morning for a quiet coffee break when two V-Twinners with thru exhaust decided to let it loose at the intersection just as the local church was celebrating some kind of an anniversary.

A hundred folks heard the noise of these two dudes afterwhich they clanced over to us on our Metric bikes. Very uncomfortable to say the least.

Any by-law that comes into effect will negatively impact all bikers because of a few bad ones.
    i ride a v-twin, but i respect others as well. i was there later in the afternoon having my coffee and the same ******** happened. why do people got to show how load there bike is?

IF (and a big IF) they do use SAE J2825 then I'm for it. It has reasonable levels, with a very clearly stated testing procedure.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

"Another Belfountain resident signs up and throws out a lure. "

Yes I live in the area and being the first officer of the Albion Hills Chapter of the SCRC this has a direct impact on ride nights seeing Caledon is our back yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rixter View Post
    Sorry I can't tell - are you for or against this?

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Sorry I can't tell - are you for or against this?
    Only if the pipes on my Roadie pass the test...lol

The levels seem to be a desent level, 96 to 100 for road speed, my V Star came in at 123 DB on the meter and it was a lot loader than my Roadie is now.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX600 View Post

Now run along and go back to your Bellfountain park bench

As I said I haven't rode through Belfountian in years, so way would I want to sit on a park bunch there??
    And as I said I do work in Erin, so I use Winston Churchill to avoid the town.

I live on a major highway. Thursday night is bike night up the road. When I have guests you can see the annoyance on their faces in my backyard as bikes go by. Set of lights there doesn't help either.

It is a bit tiresome having to stop the conversation umpteen times to wait for the sound to pass. Being a rider myself I was surprised that after 5 years it has finally gotten to me. it sucks. Just like the Jake brakes in the a.m. as trucks slow down, however they are not nearly as loud or numerous.

Just my point of view.

Hey guys, big ride through Belfountain?

-ONLY mod pipes allowed

This Rixter fellow sounds like a tool.

You live there huh, and you still bash the place?
    Vivere est vincere

Cool Re: Caledon Noise Bylaw for motorcycles

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    . Just like the Jake brakes in the a.m. as trucks slow down, however they are not nearly as loud or numerous.

Just my point of view.
    Sounds like you live down the road from me, being south of Caledon's gravel pits I hear the Jake brakes at 5:00 am every morning.

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by redridernl View Post
    Why is this proposed law only targeting motorcycles? If you're going to impose a law to limit noise, it should apply to all vehicles. Someone mowing their lawn is a lot more bothersome than a motorcycle passing by but I'm not going to ***** and moan about it, that's life.
    This is very true. I hate it when I'm trying to sleep in in the summer and the next door neighbor fires up his rickety old lawn mower or even worse, someone busts out a chainsaw or circular saw but I'm not about to go whine to town hall that we should ban saws and lawnmowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercaholic View Post

Metric v-twins exist. SV650/1000 as two examples.

Personally, I don't like overly loud bikes. I hate to sound discriminatory but, the majority of the time, it's cruisers. I don't hate cruisers but these guys with straight pipes that rattle the window as the they go by are REALLY irritating. Even a really loud sport bike is comparatively quiet. I think it has to do with the smaller cylinders. Even a 2 or 1 cylinder sportbike isn't as loud as the huge displacement v-twin cruisers with aftermarket pipes. Those loud as hell cruisers are the main problem IMO although some sportbikes can be pretty loud.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

Just ordered a "quiet baffle" for my Muzzy exhaust as a courtesy to my neighbours. Have been keeping the revs to just above idle when leaving our street on early morning rides.
    Last edited by STARSHIP; 09-14-2010 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokla View Post
    Hey guys, big ride through Belfountain?

-ONLY mod pipes allowed

This Rixter fellow sounds like a tool.

You live there huh, and you still bash the place?
    I think the people that live in the town are all cry babies...lol

A Tool I have box full of them and lots of them...lol

I think this is something that we are going to see more and more in the future. Some have pushed the sound (level) from aftermarket pipes to the limit, they have in fact ruined it for everyone (or are ruining...).

It may be a good thing in the long run. As long as the ticket does not cause an increase in insurance it gives the cops a good revenue generating stream without really screwing the ticketed over in the long term. They note what the dB testing gear costs, I wonder how this compares to a speed radar set?

Been on holidays, not back in the store till Wednesday.