Already having experience on a bike before Safety Course

Thread: Already having experience on a bike before Safety Course

Already having experience on a bike before Safety Course

The day of the RTI Safety Course is coming. My friend and his friend and I have already bought bikes and have experience riding. We're in no way saying we don't need this course. We're all actually looking forward to this course. What my friend is debating is whether we should lie and say we don't have bikes and have never ridden before. He argues you'll be judged harder if you already do.

Is this true?

Re: Already having experience on a bike before Safety Course

No, just go, have fun and listen. Remember that there some people there who have never been on a bike, be gracious and give them room to learn.

You'll probably be a bit more advanced, but it doesn't mean you can't learn. Challenge yourself with the slow stuff, there is always room for improvement.

Testing is can you get from A to B and without hitting the lines/stalling/footdown/ and within a certain time frame basically.

You can't be judged harder on this, either you do it or you don't. It's not subjective.

Well I hope you're right.

The slower maneuvers are what I am weak on and want to work on.

meme is right. I took the RTI course after I've had some riding experience as well. It is worth while.

Remember to try a few different style of bikes too.

Have fun!

what? I rode my bike to training course! don't worry, instructors will be more than happy to see you on a bike, just be respectful, remember there are some people never riden bikes before, so just take it easy and enjoy the course.
    David L.
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848
    1995 Honda CBR900RR (SOLD)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R600 (SOLD)
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R (SOLD)

Just did the RTI course last weekend at Seneca King City site. The vast majority of the class had little or no bike experience, some had experience in the past, and a few had bikes. There was absolutely no judging of anyone going on. In fact, I was surprised at just how friendly everyone was, both instructors and participants.

I really enjoyed it, and I'm sure you will too, bike experience or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ako17 View Post
    Just did the RTI course last weekend at Seneca King City site. The vast majority of the class had little or no bike experience, some had experience in the past, and a few had bikes. There was absolutely no judging of anyone going on. In fact, I was surprised at just how friendly everyone was, both instructors and participants.

I really enjoyed it, and I'm sure you will too, bike experience or not.
    and i assumed you passed right? congrats!
    David L.
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848
    1995 Honda CBR900RR (SOLD)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R600 (SOLD)
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Lonelyrider View Post
    and i assumed you passed right? congrats!
    I did, thanks!

I did well too. Funny thing, an instructor's dad was taking the course and at one point while we were standing listening to instructions for the next thing to practice, he dropped his helmet, and someone went, "well I'm gald thats not my helmet", and he responded "its my son's", and we all looked at our instructor and laughed.

That same instructor also mentioned how during the actual test part at the end of the second day that everyone's skill level drops under the pressure. It was the first time all day that I had to put my foot down in one particular section, which the instructor mentioned seemed odd, as he noticed it wasn't like me to put my foot down. It was the only thing I got a demerit point for during the test.

Regardless, the course was fun, I passed, and I recommend it to anyone who wants to get on 2 wheels, or wants to improve themselves.

Now to find a bike...

being young and excitable my biggest mistake was getting frustrated by a lot of the riders being a lot slower. Having a bit of experience under my belt now my biggest piece of advice is work on the slow stuff!!! Dragging knee is easy, it's making parking lot u-turns with the bars at full lock that is a real challenge.

Oh and have fun, and welcome to the addiction.
    Driving a cage is to have sanity forced upon you.

Some people take the course who has never sat on a bike before like me and others use the course as a refresher because they haven't riden in a while.

Just go and have fun. You may find the first for hours boring, just deal with it.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

Tell them you have some experience. We don't judge anyone harder based on experience but when we put people in groups we try to match up people in the group whether you have experience or not.

That way the group progresses at a simmilar rate.

If you tell them you don't have experience you will end up in a group that has none and they may progress slower and you will end up being bored and frustrated.

In no way are you judged based on your experience level. And everyone is tested based on the same criteria there is no favouritism.

2008 Triumph Bonneville T100
    2009 Harley Ultra Classic
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Quote Originally Posted by Jeebs24 View Post
    The day of the RTI Safety Course is coming. My friend and his friend and I have already bought bikes and have experience riding. We're in no way saying we don't need this course. We're all actually looking forward to this course. What my friend is debating is whether we should lie and say we don't have bikes and have never ridden before. He argues you'll be judged harder if you already do.

Is this true?

no.

the final test is a standard Ministry authorized test that is the exact same for everyone.

The exercises are timed. you only lose points of your time is too slow, or too fast, or if you cross the painted lines. not much else too it.

and obviously if you drop your bike or make a dangerous manouver, that's also bad

Glad to see this thread. I'm taking the LC course at Seneca this weekend and have racked up 2000+ kms using my M1 on a big DR650 - including several drops in the dirt.

In the first few weeks of riding - I was firmly convinced I needed the course. Soon after, when I could turn corners and not stall the bike at every intersection - I started to wonder if the course would be useful. And then wondered if it would be best to sandbag and not admit to my milage and adventures.

But I like the advice to be upfront and ensure I'm grouped with similar riders so we can progress at the same pace.

I've been doing tons of slow speed slalom stuff and of course the play time in the dirt with the tail hung out might help too.

But I'm keeping my mind as open as possible and am keen to learn more. I'm sure there's tons I have no clue about.

So keen to hopefully get my M2 and start riding even more!

RK

And look at that - now I HAVE my M2! (we'll - I passed the test!).

I totally recommend taking a course. While I knew a lot of the stuff (20 years of competitive motorsports helps) - I STILL learned a ton, and some helpful stuff in the first FIVE minutes!

Plus - at least at LC - you get to ride a whack of different bikes - and that was a total blast. And frankly - the little CBR125's are a totally perfect, incredibly fun bike to ride in that setting. I hopped on a Ninja 250 for a bit and hopped right back off. Way too big and cumbersome for the tight twisty slow work on a parking lot.

I had a blast - met some great people and earned a perfect score - so a good weekend all around.

No matter how seasoned you think you are - you can always learn something - so take a course. And if you admit you've got experience - you'll get advanced tips from the instructors, helping you get even better.

RK