south of 401 on dvp, blue/white gsxr... - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: south of 401 on dvp, blue/white gsxr...

Re: south of 401 on dvp, blue/white gsxr...

Quote Originally Posted by GayManLoveIsOK View Post
    i got oversized bar end mirrors cuz i'm too lazy...i can see directly behind me and in my former blind spot...not that i don't check over the shoulder when changing lanes...the ones that came with the bike were just crap, you couldn't see anything...
    Have you seen Ducati's so-called "performance" mirrors? The mirror my dentist uses to see inside my mouth are bigger. I have no idea what they expect anyone to be able to see in those.

I bought some mirror extensions, although I haven't taken the time to install them yet. I thought about bar-end mirrors. Have you run into any problems with them poking out too far in tight spaces?
    "Gravity just holds me down." -- James Brown

The opinions in this post are of the author and not of any of the groups she belongs to. And are not necessarily shared by any of her friends, associates or colleagues. There. I think that covers it.

Moto-mojo: the log of a a motorcycling mobile journalist: http://moto-mojo.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by wedgeworm View Post
    Thanks, again, everyone for the well wishes! I’m still a bit sore, but it’s nothing major. I saw my family doctor on Monday and had some x-rays done. Haven’t heard from my doc, so I’m assuming everything’s ok.

But, anyway, I hate to turn this into an after-school special, but just wanted to share some of my thoughts about what I’ve learned from this accident (and maybe others can comment on the strategies they use to avoid being rear-ended):

First, I think Funrider’s suggestion (about taking an extreme blocking position when coming to a stop) is an excellent one! From now on, when stopping in stop and go traffic--especially on a highway--I’ll be taking an extreme blocking position, maybe even getting myself onto the diving line.
    Second, don’t base your decisions solely on what you see in your rearview mirrors, b/c chances are you won’t find any black and white signs that tell you that you need to jet. Although I did check my rearview mirrors before being rear-ended (I always do when coming to a stop, ironically to avoid being rear-ended (which, in this case, I was)), the driver’s headlights didn’t scream “Move! Get out of the way! I don’t have time to stop!”
    I knew the headlights were approaching fast. But fast didn't tell me anything about what was going to happen next, what the driver was going to do, or how I should react. So, I think the best thing to do is to react based on how you’re reacting to your own riding condition. If stopping is unusual (such as on the highway, having to stop quickly, etc), then get out of the way. Don’t wait to see headlights in your mirrors and then try to decide whether those headlights are a danger to you. You don’t have that time. And by the time you think it’s a danger, it’ll likely be too late.
    And last, when you don’t see anything in your rearview mirrors, be extra vigilant. Initially when I applied the brakes, I checked my rearview mirrors and saw nothing. However, a split second later, I see headlights approaching (very likely at full highway speed). Maybe if there is a sure sign of danger that tells you to get the hell out of there, then this would be it.
    PS- I guess the upside to this is that I’ll be getting a new bike soon (as you probably have read, my bike’s a write off). Will likely upgrade to a 600. Can’t wait to be back on the road! Oh, and to the emergency responders who came to the scene (including the popos who read this forum): thanks!
    Great post. I'm glad to see that you're okay. I was going ask if there was anything you learned. I didn't read all posts but I read your mention of extreme blocking position. When I'm riding with traffic -in the left most lane- I ride between the the passenger side tire track and the dotted line when it's there. It makes you sort of stick out and easier to see. It seems as though you did everything you could and some how the cager still managed to hit you

Wow I remember messaging you a couple of months back because I also bought the same bike around the same time. Poor bike, this strikes a little closer to home for me seeing the exact same bike in the accident pics. Glad you're okay and in good spirits, thats the most important thing.

So glad your ok now i know why hiway scares me they don't look and they are going fast ...heal fast
    Your Friends are your Family ..Your Bike is your Best Friend .Throttle That *****!!!! ..(as the hubby says) haha
    2003 Suzuki Savage LS 650