FZ6 Valve noise

Thread: FZ6 Valve noise

FZ6 Valve noise

I've had my 06 Yamaha FZ6 for about a month now. one question I have is.
    Is a bit of valve noise normal for these?
    when just cruzing at low speeds (maby 50 k in town) and at between 3000 to 5000 rpm I can hear some faint valve train noise. a faint fast ticking sound.
    my old 83 550 night hawk didnt have this sound but it was hydrolic valves. so is this normal or does it mean its time to get the valves adjusted?

Exclamation Re: FZ6 Valve noise

Quote Originally Posted by 06FZ6 View Post
    when just cruzing at low speeds (maby 50 k in town) and at between 3000 to 5000 rpm I can hear some faint valve train noise. a faint fast ticking sound.
    my old 83 550 night hawk didnt have this sound but it was hydrolic valves. so is this normal or does it mean its time to get the valves adjusted?
    A bit of valve noise is okay...
    It could be a combo of valve/camchain noise.
    The thing is, valves will loosen up or tighten up - depending on how they feel!
    And you cannot hear the tight ones.
    So even if there are no loose valve noises to hear, doesn't mean everything is alright.
    This is why valve clearance should be inspected on a schedule, as per manufacturer's recommendation...
    Regards
    Old Ninja, runs good.

Re: FZ6 Valve noise

Okay thanks. just wanted to make sure its got 16 000 k on it I dont think its due for a valve check till 20 000 or so but I'll double check that

In body: Hamilton... In spirit, Switzerland!

Quote Originally Posted by 06FZ6 View Post
    It's normal. the FZ6's motor is similar to the R6 and a lot of people over on the r6 forum asked the same question. My R6 did it too shortly after break-in
    "Izz dangerous..... Izz dangerous not only you... but... all deh fackeen idiot who ride deh car" - Rossi, FASTER

I've heard it's also injector noise that we are hearing on the FZ6.
    Check out the FZ6forum, helped me out a lot when I first got my bike... However it may also cause spontaneous modding when you see what the guys do to their bikes!

Perfectly normal, my 06 has made the same noise from when I got it at 5k km up 63k km today

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post

The thing is, valves will loosen up or tighten up - depending on how they feel!
    And you cannot hear the tight ones.

Never heard of them loosing up, ever.