LED Turn Signals (Electronic Flasher Relay) - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LED Turn Signals (Electronic Flasher Relay)

Re: LED Turn Signals (Electronic Flasher Relay)

Quote Originally Posted by dcx135 View Post
    I have exactly the same set up (Flushmount LED, Integrated Tailight LED). The stock relay doesn't process the signal correctly, hence you need electronic relay. I had used resistors but one of them burned out (they don't last long and create excessive heat, etc.)

I looked at the EFR's at Canadian Tire and Part Source and they have the generic EFR's for between $10-20. HOWEVER, they are NOT play and play for sportsbikes.

For the same money, I ordered a plug and play EFR from Custom Dynamics.

You just have to locate your flasher and the unplug the old one and replace it with the new one. On my '06 R6, it's under the tank - pain in the butt!

Good luck!

you mean 'plug and play', right?
    basically, most relays have a 2 or 3-pin connector. you have to know which one you need. if the oem connector does not fit the new relay, it's just a matter of doing a simple electrical connection of all the points. that's what i did when i bought my electronic relay from canadian tire at less than $10.
    I’d rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.

quick question...so i bought an electronic flasher relay from CT a 2 prong one, and tested it on my bike. The blink is much slower now..almost to slow. Also on my rear integrated tail light the side that blinks, the red driving lights shut off, but as soon as you cancel the blinker they turn back on. Where as with the bikes stock flasher the whole thing remains lite up red along with the corresponding side thats blinking..its just doing the hyper blinking.
    Why would that happen?

Alright boys, I got the relay a while ago, but now I'm working on the bike. Have to ask a few questions instead of making a new post.

1. Here's my LED bolts to use as a plate light. (they're only 2 wires and nothing else)

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...t/DSC01845.jpg

2. Here's the Plate light female plug. The question to this is, how do I connect my LED bolts (got two) to this female plug? :S

3. Here's my LED turn signals

4. Heres the (left or right?) turn signal female plug that the turn signal is suppose to connect to.

5. Last question, my relay which looks like

Not sure what the hell it connects too!!

here's some pics showing what it looks like under the seats.

Last edited by Jag_V4Ape; 09-24-2010 at 06:10 PM.

I dont know why I cant copy or show the LED bolt pic. i9ur42kjnsfv!!

Anyways, the LED Bolt is 2 wires (red and / red with a black stripe).
    Last edited by Jag_V4Ape; 09-24-2010 at 06:11 PM.

Did you figure it out?
    You might have to cut the connector off and hard wire it to the bike. For the license plate bolt lights i would cut off the round connectors and crimp on mini female blade ones so that it will slide into the bikes stock harness.
    For the flasher, you need to find the stock location of your flasher and unplug it, see if it will simply plug into your new flasher, if not you will have to hard wire it in.

Damn! I hate all this hard wiring! LOL

I think I'm so fedup since my LED Neon kit is driving me crazy on the site (for just adding a stupid switch!)

The last thing I wanted to do was cut the wires, but you say I should slide them into the bikes stock harness.. good suggestion, but would this work?

As for the LED flasher relay - I have no idea literally where this sucker is or what it looks like. Im not even sure how I could hard wire this.. would most likely need some help with this. :$

You could cut off the round connectors from the bolt lights, then crimp on new mini female blade type connectors that will slide into the bikes stock harness. But for the EFR if its not a simpe plug and play, you will have to cut off the connector from the EFR (not the bike). Then unplug the bikes stock flasher, and before the wires go into the stock connector strip the insulation off the wires and solder the EFR to the bikes flasher wires, then tape up the soldered connections. So if you are using LED blinkers it will bring your flasher rate back to normal speed.
    You can wire in the aftermarket flaser relay without cutting anything off your bike, so if you ever have to put it back to stock it will be easy.
    Look in your manual to find the bikes flasher relay, or maybe google it.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. But I dont even know what this stock connector looks like. Would be cool if I could manage to find a picture somewhere to give me an idea where it is.
    Guess I'm gona have to look harder once again tomorrow. I keep looking for a square box, but it may not even be a box but rather just a bunch of wires with an female adapter. Perhaps I'm not looking properly and it's under the passenger seat area. LoL

Anyways, tomorrow will tell I suppose.

Your best bet is to look in your manual or try google for tthe location, my flasher was located between the passenger and front seat underneath. But every bike is different.

Thanks bro.

Hey, what do you think of this idea. I was thinking - why don't I cut the wires off the stock fender eliminator (turn signal wires + plate light wire) and connect the ends of these wires to my LED bolt lights and LED turn signals, than plug them into the stock harness? Would this work? Or would it just cause a difference in power? Because I'm not exactly sure if the LED wires are using more/less or the same amount of power as the wires that are connected to the stock lights. Whats your input/suggestion on this idea?

Can always solder + shrink tube them onto the stock wires if this way was possible. (First I'd have to wire the two LED bolt wires together so it's like 1 wire, from there solder them to the wires I just cut from the stock system, than simply just plug them into the harness. All ofcourse if this is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jag_V4Ape View Post
    Thanks bro.

Hey, what do you think of this idea. I was thinking - why don't I cut the wires off the stock fender eliminator (turn signal wires + plate light wire) and connect the ends of these wires to my LED bolt lights and LED turn signals, than plug them into the stock harness? Would this work? Or would it just cause a difference in power? Because I'm not exactly sure if the LED wires are using more/less or the same amount of power as the wires that are connected to the stock lights. Whats your input/suggestion on this idea?

Can always solder + shrink tube them onto the stock wires if this way was possible. (First I'd have to wire the two LED bolt wires together so it's like 1 wire, from there solder them to the wires I just cut from the stock system, than simply just plug them into the harness. All ofcourse if this is possible.
    First off, the LED wires as you called them are exactly the same as the wires going to normal stock bulbs, its just wire. The current draw will be less going to the blinkers, hence why it flashes extremely fast. But thats fixed when u instal your electronic flasher.
    But yes you can cut off the connectors from the stock rear blinkers and plate light then wire them to the led blinkers and bolt lights, then simply plug them into the bikes stock harness.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img1327flasher.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	22269
    Thats the stock location of the flasher for an 08 zx6.
    Hopefully yours in the same location.

haha wow thats a tiny pic, well its on right side of bike just behind and underneath the windscreen

Quote Originally Posted by stevestang View Post
    First off, the LED wires as you called them are exactly the same as the wires going to normal stock bulbs, its just wire. The current draw will be less going to the blinkers, hence why it flashes extremely fast. But thats fixed when u instal your electronic flasher.
    But yes you can cut off the connectors from the stock rear blinkers and plate light then wire them to the led blinkers and bolt lights, then simply plug them into the bikes stock harness.
    NICE! Thanks alot man! Def. didn't know that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img1327flasher.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	22269
    Thats the stock location of the flasher for an 08 zx6.
    Hopefully yours in the same location.

haha wow thats a tiny pic, well its on right side of bike just behind and underneath the windscreen
    Damn! I would have never evvvver guessed that location! No wonder - probably been looking at the wrong area the entire time. LOL :$
    Anyways, I shall go check the bike out and see if I can get the wiring out of the way before I go into study more for the rest of the night.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. But I dont even know what this stock connector looks like. Would be cool if I could manage to find a picture somewhere to give me an idea where it is.
    How can you say this.......
    but also say this...

perhaps you should take your own advice?

It is, but CMON! Don't know where the choke is? Isnt this stuff taught when you JUST buy your bike? Even used?
    And who doesnt read their manual when they just got a bike?

Anyways, sorry for the flame but, thats just my opinion - didn't really mean to turn you guys all emo and all. But to the OP, searching is the key! I swear you can find all the questions you've asked before. Some n00b questions are alright, but than you have the ones where you go "Oh my god! seriously?" lol

But than again.. thats rookie questions.. what do you expect right? MY BAD DUDE! You're question was solved by the kind members here, so have fun! And also, try reading the manual on your spare, it has MANY.. MANY GOOD THINGS TO KNOW! You'll never expect that book to know alot of things but it does!

I didnt find anything in the manual. Doesn't say anything about relays and stuff. Thats the first place I looked! Anyways, I'm gona ask frekeyguy to help me with this, he should hopefully know whats going down on the electrical department.

Tried wiring the LED turn signals to the stock turn signal wires, but it worked in a weird way, than when I went to solder them, they didn't work. I retired after stripping them again, and they didn't work. Tried another way to connecting these wires, and they worked. This light wiring are definitely something.. Im starting to hate wires and electrical stuff! :@

wiring up lights is so easy man...as simple as cutting two wires and connecting the new lights 2 wires. Voila done.

How did they work in a weird way?? Blinked extremely fast? Did you even look for the stock flasher where i said to look?
    Im starting to feel sorry for your bike!

wiring up lights is so easy man...as simple as cutting two wires and connecting the new lights 2 wires. Voila done.

How did they work in a weird way?? Blinked extremely fast? Did you even look for the stock flasher where i said to look?
    Im starting to feel sorry for your bike!
    Tried that - connecting in different ways even. 1. Connecting them by twisting the wires together, 2. By putting the tips together, 3. Putting the tips together THAN twisiting. It was VERY hard and I dont even know if I can, to get them working. The blinking was slow oddly. :S And I didnt even install the relay. Kinda weird if you ask me.

Man, I'm gona give someone a nice bottle of Vodka if they do all this up. LOL, I'm literally giving up. I just want this stuff done and out of the way.

Sure it seems easy, but why hasnt it worked for me is another question. Perhaps if frekeyguy decides to come down and help, he'll probably be like wtf? why isnt it working! Or he may have the so called "magic touch"

Just curious, but is something wrong with the OEM turn signals?