I am very disappointed in Blue Streak Racing

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I am very disappointed in Blue Streak Racing

Thumbs down I am very disappointed in Blue Streak Racing

I support Canadian businesses whenever I can. I'll always prefer to pay a little bit more to buy locally than to save a couple of bucks and buy off the internet.

So, hearing good things about Blue Streak Racing, I called them earlier in the summer to order sprockets and a chain. Parts come in, all is good, and the week before I am about to leave on a weekend trip, I go to replace the chain. Off comes the old chain and sprockets, on go the new sprockets and I try to install the chain. I ordered a 120 link chain, I got a 108. I'm screwed and upset, and so I gave Tony at BSR a call. He was surprised, but confirmed that he had indeed sent me a 108 link chain when I had ordered the 120. However, there's not enough time to ship the new chain so I can install it on my V-strom to be ready for my trip. This, folks, is why I have two bikes, so my FZ1 is pressed into service, and I go on my trip. Tony's mistake means that it's not the trip I wanted to do, because I'm not riding the bike I want to ride.

Communication is good, he admits his mistake, and in telling me that he would understand if I didn't give him any more business, he says that he will give me extra good pricing should I change my mind.

Mistakes happen. I didn't lose my temper, though I was upset, and so you know what, I'll put another order in. I call back in a little bit, order a valve shim kit for the strom.

The kit comes in, and once again, I'm working on the bike, prepping it for the trip I'm taking on Saturday, only to realize that Tony's sent me half the shim kit. It comes in two boxes, I have one box, and it's the wrong box. My bike is apart, I'm leaving on Saturday, and once again, BSR has let me down.

I call Tony, explain to him the situation (again, not losing my temper) and to his credit, he starts looking for creative ways to fix the problem. Long story short, he decides that he's going to have the kit shipped to Pro 6, and I can pick it up from there today.

In the meantime, not wanting to take any chances, I called Hillcrest Suzuki and picked up the shims I needed, at almost $6 each. I figure it's a good insurance policy, just in case.

I get a call today saying the motovan shipment that came into Pro 6 didn't have my shim kit in it. No worries, I tell Tony, I picked up the shims I needed from the dealership. I spent almost $40 on them. So how are we going to make this right?

I'm then informed that he doesn't see how he's responsible for this situation in any way. Nicely. But firmly. This was the distributor's mistake, not mine.

Well, I explain - nicely - I don't agree. I ordered this kit from you, not the distributor. The one box - the wrong box - got shipped to me from you. Not the distributor. And so I see this as being your problem.

We agree to disagree on this, and I will not spend another dime at a retailer that doesn't take responsibility for their shipments.

Tony has a lot of fans on here, which was the main reason why I was willing to give him another chance. My personal experience with BSR has been very, very disappointing. My communication with him was excellent, he looked at creative ways of solving the problem, but at the end of the day, I had to spend extra money and time to solve the problem that he created, and not to take responsibility for that in any way is disappointing.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

Re: I am very disappointed in Blue Streak Racing

Although all my dealings with Tony @ BSR have been great, I just wanna say good on you for writing up an honest, fair / balanced review. Every shop needs constructive criticism once in a while.
    SOAR Novice #113

Ah, it was not just me. I had a few shipment error from Tony. I was wondering I'm the only unlucky one as seems everyone else enjoys his excellent service... Fortunately for me, I am not in hurry for anything, so I hope him to make some more mistake...and pick up more special discount...

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quick question: are you pulling the bike apart first, and then checking that you have the correct parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    Quick question: are you pulling the bike apart first, and then checking that you have the correct parts?
    +1, I never start a project until I know 100% that I have ALL the CORRECT parts to finish the job.

Sux about your experience, I have nothing but excellent things to say about BSR. I've actually referred a number of people to him, and they've all been impressed as well. Maybe his business is growing so much that he needs to consider hiring more staff to help him out.
    2009 Hypermotard 1100

I've got nothing but good things to say. I'm sure he makes mistakes though.

I made a mistake once.
    * It's about safety, stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Although all my dealings with Tony @ BSR have been great, I just wanna say good on you for writing up an honest, fair / balanced review. Every shop needs constructive criticism once in a while.
    +1000.

I am happy to see a fair and balanced, albeit negative, review as well. It would have been all too easy to come on here, and blast out in negitivity which would have cast doubt on your credibility.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you.

GTA-M. Your best bang for the entertainment buck.
    What feels better than banking a motorcycle over into a corner?

Quote Originally Posted by johnp View Post
    I've got nothing but good things to say. I'm sure he makes mistakes though.

I made a mistake once.
    I make mistakes too.

I could have blasted him for making the initial mistake. I could have blasted him for making the second one. I got upset because he didn't take responsibility.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.

Quote Originally Posted by sportbiker_kev View Post
    +1, I never start a project until I know 100% that I have ALL the CORRECT parts to finish the job.
    Well, that's certainly my lesson learned. The chain, in particular, I should have checked before breaking the old one. The shim kit, however, was another story. I got the box, and there was nothing to indicate that it was the first of two boxes. And until I got into my engine, measured clearances and removed the shim that was in there in the first place, I don't know what shim I need, and I don't know that the shim was in the second box.

Shame on me, I guess, for trusting that an order that I placed got filled correctly. Shame on me doubly for assuming that after the first mistake, that any greater level of care would be taken with the second order. Triple shame on me for expecting that after being very reasonable and understanding about how human we all are, that things would be made right.

good write up

sorry to hear, I agree with you, though the distributor shipped the wrong part, you would suspect he would have checked it before just relabeling the ship to: address and sending it out

Quote Originally Posted by oomis View Post
    Shame on me, I guess, for trusting that an order that I placed got filled correctly. Shame on me doubly for assuming that after the first mistake, that any greater level of care would be taken with the second order. Triple shame on me for expecting that after being very reasonable and understanding about how human we all are, that things would be made right.
    Shouldn't you hold yourself to the same standard you hold other people to? I agree, it is their job to order the right parts, but if we don't check them before we leave the shop, it is our fault.

A few months ago I went to pick up some 120/160 tires. As the guy is ringing up the bill I noticed the rear was a 160/60/18. I would of been very upset at myself if I noticed when I got home. They made the mistake, but I should of checked.
    V4s growl, inlines whine.

great write up.

stuff happens....sorry to hear

Quote Originally Posted by Franko! View Post
    I agree, it is their job to order the right parts, but if we don't check them before we leave the shop, it is our fault.
    What about when you are never in the shop? Are you supposed to check the shiptment before they ship it?

Dealer/Vendor

Oomis gives a very accurate and fair account of what has happened here but I would like to add my side of the story.
    We try very hard to avoid shipping errors but unfortunately they do happen. The chain we shipped to Oomis was ordered from the distributors as 120L. They were shipped to us incorrectly as 108L. When the order is packed we try to check the contents as least twice but I personally missed the size on the chain box. I took responsibilty for this and compensated Oomis in the best way that we could come up with.
    The shim kit is another story. The correct part was ordered from the distributor and was received by BSR. The part numbers on the paper and the box were checked against the order and send out to Oomis in good time for him to do the work. However there was no indication in the catalogue, on the paperwork or on the box that there are two boxes in the kit. And of course the box that was not sent was the one that had the shim sizes that Oomis wanted. BSR had absolutely no way to know that this shipment was short a box of shims.
    When Oomis contacted me about the problem I spent considerable time trying to find a way around it. At this point he had the bike in pieces and only a couple of days to go before leaving on his trip. I called every distributor in Canada to see who had the shims in stock. I was prepared to buy a second set at a higher price to fix the problem and be left with a set in stock that would likely sit on the shelf for years. The best plan we could come up with was to ship from a Canadian distributor to Pro 6 who are in Toronto and therefore would save a day in shipping. Pro 6 agreeed to do this and even called the distributor on my behalf to ensure that the shims would be shipped the following day. Despite the assurances they were given this did not happen and Oomis did not get the shims when needed.
    I understand that Oomis feels that since he made the deal through BSR that he feels we should be respomsible for the extra cost that he incurred. However as a business that needs to make a living we do have to draw the line somewhere. Like all businesses we make the occassional error and when they are our fault we go the extra mile to ensure that the customer is fully looked after. But if we are held responsible for the errors that other businesses make, where does that stop? We catch most of them and get them fixed before our customer even knows about it. But if the issue reaches the customer I believe it is our responsibility to mediate aggressively with the supplier to get a resolution on behalf of the customer and we do that. But we are not able to pay for every mistake a supplier or manufacturer may make. We would not be around long.
    I understand Oomis is upset, although I am disappointed he sees venting on the forum as a solution. But since he has chosen this route and since you have both sides of the story I welcome your comments and questions.

If it is a time critical project, I will never buy on line/phone. I will go to the shop and pick it up by myself. Or if a retailer is confident enough, they can guarantee the delivery...like Pizza? There is such contract for B2B but rarely see in any retail biz. I have been enjoying dealing with Tony because he is honest and sincere. Yes, I experienced a mistake or two with him but he always made sure I am happy at the end. Everyone makes mistake(s) but not everyone takes right follow up actions. He does, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecanuk View Post
    Oomis gives a very accurate and fair account of what has happened here but I would like to add my side of the story.
    We try very hard to avoid shipping errors but unfortunately they do happen. The chain we shipped to Oomis was ordered from the distributors as 120L. They were shipped to us incorrectly as 108L. When the order is packed we try to check the contents as least twice but I personally missed the size on the chain box. I took responsibilty for this and compensated Oomis in the best way that we could come up with.
    The shim kit is another story. The correct part was ordered from the distributor and was received by BSR. The part numbers on the paper and the box were checked against the order and send out to Oomis in good time for him to do the work. However there was no indication in the catalogue, on the paperwork or on the box that there are two boxes in the kit. And of course the box that was not sent was the one that had the shim sizes that Oomis wanted. BSR had absolutely no way to know that this shipment was short a box of shims.
    When Oomis contacted me about the problem I spent considerable time trying to find a way around it. At this point he had the bike in pieces and only a couple of days to go before leaving on his trip. I called every distributor in Canada to see who had the shims in stock. I was prepared to buy a second set at a higher price to fix the problem and be left with a set in stock that would likely sit on the shelf for years. The best plan we could come up with was to ship from a Canadian distributor to Pro 6 who are in Toronto and therefore would save a day in shipping. Pro 6 agreeed to do this and even called the distributor on my behalf to ensure that the shims would be shipped the following day. Despite the assurances they were given this did not happen and Oomis did not get the shims when needed.
    I understand that Oomis feels that since he made the deal through BSR that he feels we should be respomsible for the extra cost that he incurred. However as a business that needs to make a living we do have to draw the line somewhere. Like all businesses we make the occassional error and when they are our fault we go the extra mile to ensure that the customer is fully looked after. But if we are held responsible for the errors that other businesses make, where does that stop? We catch most of them and get them fixed before our customer even knows about it. But if the issue reaches the customer I believe it is our responsibility to mediate aggressively with the supplier to get a resolution on behalf of the customer and we do that. But we are not able to pay for every mistake a supplier or manufacturer may make. We would not be around long.
    I understand Oomis is upset, although I am disappointed he sees venting on the forum as a solution. But since he has chosen this route and since you have both sides of the story I welcome your comments and questions.
    I commend your response, it is well written and your represent yourself well (one reason why i DO deal with you).

I do however havea comment, if you got the wrong shim kit the distributor would take it back, so it would not need to sit on your shelf for years. All you would have to do is inform them of the miss shipment, it is their responsibility

Absolutely. I felt that you were really trying to get me the parts I needed. Communication was very good, and I really appreciated the effort that you were putting in to making things right.
    Really? Where does it stop? The buck stops with you. It's your business, and it's your responsibility to make things right. The box shipped from your shop, with your name on the packing slip, and your stickers inside. I repeat - I didn't order from your supplier. I ordered from you. This is your company, your brand, I am your customer.

And really, if you recall our conversation, when I told you that it cost me almost $40 for the shims that I needed from the dealership, I actually never asked you for the $40. I simply told you that this is what I was out of pocket for this experience. You immediate told me that you did not believe that this was your problem. You didn't try and work anything out with me. Made no alternative offer. You simply washed your hands of me and told me that you were not responsible. That is absolutely and totally unacceptable. You are responsible for the botched order that left your hands. Telling me, and now everyone here, that you're not responsible is, I think, a cause for serious concern.

I'm the kind of customer that doesn't try and nickel and dime retailers. As I stated, I don't mind paying a little bit more so that my business goes to retailers that earn my business. $40 at the end of the day is not a heck of a lot of money. It was your firm, but nice, re-iteration that this was not your problem and that you were not taking responsibility for it.

That's what this section of this website is for. Reviews, good and bad. This section is where I found review after review commending your service. In this day and age, you're surprised that my awful two experiences with you this summer make their way online? Word of mouth is a powerful thing, and as a retailer, you take the good with the bad. I'm sure that there are plenty of people who will still do business with you. I'm not "venting", I'm not trying to bash you, I'm simply telling my side of the story, and frankly your position relative to your customers and your suppliers is surprising, considering how many people say good things about you.

At the end of the day I paid for a complete shim kit. As of right now I still only have half of it. I'm leaving for my road trip tomorrow, and I fully expect that when I get back from it the remainder of my purchase will be here and we can close this chapter. If not, I'll be letting everyone on this board know. At this point, making this story public is unfortunately the only tool I have to make sure that I get the parts I paid for, as I can't trust that a retailer that doesn't feel that this situation is their responsibility will make good their part of the contract.

I paid. I want my product. I'll post up when I get back next week as to whether or not I received it. And if I don't have my product by then, I'll be making sure the credit card company reverses the charges, and I'll buy the kit from someplace I can trust, and I'll make sure that everyone knows what happened.
    Last edited by oomis; 09-09-2010 at 05:20 PM.

Dealer/Vendor

Oomis I agree with you 100% that it is my contract and my responsibility to make sure you get the parts you ordered. I have never said otherwise and your suggestion that you won't get them is unfounded. Whether I get them from the same distributor or another is my responsibility and it will be done. What I can not take responsibility for is that only half the kit was shipped and didn't reach you in time to do the work when you wanted. I apologised to you at the time and I do so again on this board although there was absolutely nothing I could do to change the situation.
    I disagree with you about my response. I did in fact offer to compensate you on a future order. I would still do this if it helped you feel any better.

Oomis I agree with you 100% that it is my contract and my responsibility to make sure you get the parts you ordered. I have never said otherwise and your suggestion that you won't get them is unfounded. Whether I get them from the same distributor or another is my responsibility and it will be done. What I can not take responsibility for is that only half the kit was shipped and didn't reach you in time to do the work when you wanted. I apologised to you at the time and I do so again on this board although there was absolutely nothing I could do to change the situation.
    I disagree with you about my response. I did in fact offer to compensate you on a future order. I would still do this if it helped you feel any better.

Very classy as always Tony.
    Soar # 21

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Never too old for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    i guess not being stupid should be a prerequisite for wrenching on bikes.

Being in the middle between a distributor and the customer sometimes puts you in a hard place. I know, i've been there. Telling the customer that his machine will be a week late in being put back into production due to your distributor dropping the ball is not gonna make the customer feel better. Logically he knows its not your fault, but he does hold you responsible to some level. It is YOUR distributor that made the mistake, if the distributor keeps messing up, then maybe the business should go to a different distributor? because sooner or later the customer will stop coming to you, even thought its not your fault for the mistakes, in the end, the customer doesnt care whos fault it is....
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439
    99 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm