Toronto Sun: looking for contacts for a motorcycle feature - Page 3

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Toronto Sun: looking for contacts for a motorcycle feature

Re: Toronto Sun: looking for contacts for a motorcycle feature

Is there an underground scooter street racing league I'm not aware of? If so, it sounds awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
    Man, that's like two bucks worth of 50 cent words. I guess that Readers Digest subscription really paid off.
    '92 gixxer 750 - Jupiter

Heh, this thread is entertaining. Don't mess with GTAM and its intelligence agency.

And as for the Sun, I don't know anyone who reads it and takes it seriously (other than maybe for the sports section).

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

Quote Originally Posted by DemonPig View Post
    Heh, this thread is entertaining. Don't mess with GTAM and its intelligence agency.

And as for the Sun, I don't know anyone who reads it and takes it seriously (other than maybe for the sports section).
    You mean (other than maybe the Sunday edition)

http://www.torontosun.com/news/toron.../13706511.html

She also had her foot run over by a woman at a stop sign while at her scooter.
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by smuggin View Post
    The UK has age restrictions for their licensing system and now they're exploring whether motorcyclists should have more supervised on-road riding experience with options: 25, 50 or 120 hours.

Having a lack of access to your license to ride could possibly deter street racing, some folks say. My story is really an all-over on rider safety (we'll be speaking with instructors at Rider Training Institute) especially with those lighter sport bikes that have a lot of power in them.
    Unfortunately for you, the media coverage on almost ALL THINGS motorcycle have been sensationalized, and slanted against the better interest of motorcyclists.

On this site i'm often the voice of "dont be a jackass on the road and make it worse for everyone as the media will have a field day with it..." and have the privilege of eating considerable amounts of poo.

I'm not sure that there is much trust in the media by the people you are most interested in speaking with. Which you can only blame on a combo of their ignorance (of which there is plenty on this site) and those who write on riding before you, who have done a considerably hacky and misinformed job.

So i wish you luck, but do me a favor. Only listen to about 1/3rd of everything you will hear from most of the "guys riding high powered, light motorcycles". Make sure you also talk about the seasoned, old guys, who were brought up with a healthy respect for machines and the rules of the road. Otherwise it will be just another judge judy episode, which riders in Canada don't need.

D

This is for the Sun? LOL. we could write the article for you and save you the time of conducting "research".

The headline will be "Killer Motorcycles Ridden by Mad Young Men". Hmm, wait, "motorcycles" is too many letters in one word for the Sun. Maybe "Killer Bikers Kill Our Children".

There'll be lots of "expert opinions" and quotes from Sgt. Wooley (I forget his replacement's name) and maybe even Fantino about how speed kills and motorcycles have no real place on our roads, other than, perhaps, scooters restricted to 100cc.

There'll be a couple of paragraphs about the routine street races in school zones and on the DVP. There'll need to be a slam against immigration in there somewhere as well. Maybe the immigrant riders all are known street racers that if only the police were given more powers something could be done about them?

MADD will have some comments I'm sure. We can make up a statistic about the ratio of riders that drink or aren't Christian.

And conclude by saying that other countries, such as GB have a different licencing system and then screw up any explanation about how it actually works.

The end.

Done.
    2010 BMW S1000RR

Quote Originally Posted by bear22099 View Post
    "Street racing" does not universally mean drag racing. Back in the 80's the street racing (talking about cars here) was almost exclusively drag racing, then came the import cars. That changed it to "road racing". The original (in this context) vehicles were not generally capable of road racing. My own car was tubbed with a spool in the back. No chance of any cornering at speed, hell a lane change required planning in that car. The imports changed all that, and the slow long line of cars headed to the 16th line for a long session of quarter mile runs became a small line of cars snaking themselves through traffic on the DVP at twice the speed of the cars around them. We went to be by ourselves to race, the import scene just did not bother to do that. When I hear of bikes "street racing", I do not think of drag racing.
    I didn't equate "street racing" to "drag racing"...
    *Event and Wedding DJ*
    *VERY competitive rates*
    PM, or email: theperfectmix@live.com

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    Is this the same Jenny, that plagiarized and then denied it?

http://torontoist.com/2008/01/the_sun_apology.php
    Wow...She's really taking a beating in here.

I guess it's just as well...Might as well give everyone equal treatment.
    *Event and Wedding DJ*
    *VERY competitive rates*
    PM, or email: theperfectmix@live.com

Quote Originally Posted by smuggin View Post
    The UK has age restrictions for their licensing system and now they're exploring whether motorcyclists should have more supervised on-road riding experience with options: 25, 50 or 120 hours.

Having a lack of access to your license to ride could possibly deter street racing, some folks say. My story is really an all-over on rider safety (we'll be speaking with instructors at Rider Training Institute) especially with those lighter sport bikes that have a lot of power in them.
    It is not possible to learn to ride in 25, 50 or 120 hours. Riding is a lifetime experience and there will always be more to learn.

How how does a lack of access to a license deter street racing? If somebody wants to street race they will, whether it be a car or bike. I am sure there are many people who drive cars without a license or insurance. This would not limit the wrongdoers but create a bigger hassle for those of us that respect being safe on the street.

If they ever do consider limiting bike cc class based on age then maybe they should consider limiting car horsepower based on age as well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Fawkes View Post
    Wow...She's really taking a beating in here.

I guess it's just as well...Might as well give everyone equal treatment.
    Totally. She did not, for the record, apologize. The sun merely confirmed that they did not owe torontoist an apology.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Deee View Post
    You guys are animals, looks like another 1/3 of the site will be banned soon.
    For what? Telling someone to piss off? Or calling out the media for douchery?

Lets hope not.

sorry smuggin, you'll be damn hard pressed to find bikes that street race. i'll be the first to admit that we do like to ride fast, but generally, street racing doesnt appeal to bikes. its not like with cars, there isnt much thrill gained from a quick dash in a straight line.

the big thing with bikes is to head out of the city onto curvy roads and ride through the curves leaning the bikes over as far as possible. thats where i find my thrill, and i believe i speak for the majority of bikers, regardless of age or type of bike, when i say that.

if you want street racers, hit a civic forum or even a golf forum.

cheers,
    insert
    2008 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2009 Triumph Street Triple
    2007 Yamaha YZF-R6
    2004 Yamaha YZ-125
    2002 Yamaha TTR-225
    2001 Yamaha TTR-125L

Quote Originally Posted by dankyyz View Post
    Totally. She did not, for the record, apologize. The sun merely confirmed that they did not owe torontoist an apology.
    The link said The Sun posted an apology to Torontoist.

Hipster on a Scooter writing an Article on Sport Bike Culture.

This is going to be a **** show if it ever makes it to the press.

1. Never been on a track day
    2. Never been on a group ride (Unless getting 2 of your friends on vespas to cruise with you to the Mac Store Counts)
    3. Never been outside the city on 2 wheels
    4. Has never talked to anyone at events in the sport bike community.

She'll prob throw on her nice shiny helmet and cruise to the closest Tim Whoretons to talk to the so called "experts" there on how they practice their "Mad Tyte Skillz" on the street and Publish what they have to say.

Quote This: Government is another way of saying "Better Than You" and it's just fascism you can vote for sugartits. HTA172 is a prime example of that.

And you can put that in Writing without fear of the Plagiarism Police coming after you

Also, I have a feeling this somehow gets tied into an innocent passenger getting thrown off a bike, and how "SS Riders as a Culture" have no regard for safety because we race every chance we get.
    Last edited by Paul; 09-07-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vkhamphi View Post
    The link said The Sun posted an apology to Torontoist.
    But the "journalist" denied any plagiarism
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    But the "journalist" denied any plagiarism
    well i guess she must be innocent.

Wow...it's no wonder riders in the GTA get the reputation they have....very few reasonable responses to this post.

Again..if you don't have anything of value to contribute to the post...click the next post!
    "When you invite the whole world to your party, inevitably someone pees in the beer."

Visit Sponsors of GTAM!

hey guys WINTER is around the corner come pick up your copies of toronto sun, great for burning in the fireplace.
    If it wasn't for the gutter, my mind would be homeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Wow...it's no wonder riders in the GTA get the reputation they have....very few reasonable responses to this post.

Again..if you don't have anything of value to contribute to the post...click the next post!
    Most members of this forum are not slim.

Just sayin'.
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by dankyyz View Post
    For what? Telling someone to piss off? Or calling out the media for douchery?

Lets hope not.

..+1
    If it wasn't for the gutter, my mind would be homeless.