Bike Upkeep / Maintenance

Thread: Bike Upkeep / Maintenance

Bike Upkeep / Maintenance

Hey guys,

I ride a 1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250, it's in really good condition.

I'm currently parking outdoors, I'll be getting a cover for it soon.

Just wondering what kind of regular upkeep I should be doing?

Re: Bike Upkeep / Maintenance

If you check your owners manual or download/buy a service manual it'll give you the mileage or time periods for most things. Oil changes, air filter, brake fluid etc etc.

The one you'll probably be doing most often is cleaning and lubing your chain, and checking your tire pressure.

If you have a 20 yr old 250 in great condition PLEASE get it at least covered, if not inside.

Same basic maint as all vehicles - oil changes, clean and lube chain, tire pressure checks regularly.

Get a Clymer or Haynes manual.

http://www.repairmanual.com/online/h...-manual-h2053/

I've seen a lot of good stuff on http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Main_Page - you should check that out.

Since we're nearing the end of the season, make sure you research how to properly winterize your bike. There's plenty of info on the net on how to do it. Also, some bike shops during the winter run a basic motorcycle maintenance class. It may be worth your while if you're completely new to wrenching.
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Great reminder on getting a manual. I've just got an online one from cyclepedia and I've already learnt a lot from browsing through it.

A question about getting small parts and supplies. I notice there are small things like o-rings, sealing washers, gaskets...etc. that need to be replaced during regular jobs like oil change...etc. Where do you guys go to buy these stuffs? These things seem to be in certain sizes (specific to the bike model??), and I have doubts whether I can find suitable ones from places like CanadianTire. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Quote Originally Posted by short stop View Post
    Since we're nearing the end of the season, make sure you research how to properly winterize your bike. There's plenty of info on the net on how to do it. Also, some bike shops during the winter run a basic motorcycle maintenance class. It may be worth your while if you're completely new to wrenching.
    +1

I used to store my bikes outside, and let me tell you, you'll cry every spring as your mint bike gets a bit more rust on it.

If it's an option, store it inside or even at a friends place for the winter.

For winter storage you'll need at bare minimum:

a cover, a battery trickle charger/maintainer, fuel stabilizer.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    +1

I used to store my bikes outside, and let me tell you, you'll cry every spring as your mint bike gets a bit more rust on it.

If it's an option, store it inside or even at a friends place for the winter.

For winter storage you'll need at bare minimum:

a cover, a battery trickle charger/maintainer, fuel stabilizer.

+2

There is plenty of time to secure proper storage at a reasonable cost. If you do find a place, and it's not heated too well or will have major changes in temp, keep the rubber off the concrete too. Thick cardboard will do the trick.

If the bikes stays outside with a cover, yank the battery and put it on a tender inside.

Probably don't need a service manual for that bike....virtually all repairs and maintenance can be found at http://forums.ninja250.org/

If you DO decide to keep it outside then get a good cover.. not one of the 20 dollar ebay ones that are visual covers. i have one, it doesn't do anything against rain/weather so I have a tarp on top of it.
    There is someone on this site who takes bikes for storage over the winter for 250 dollars I believe... consider doing that it'll save you a lot of headache.

'02 ZX6R

Thanks for the replies.

I have an indoor winter storage set up. But until then I need to park outside.