i can clutch but cant keep it up

Thread: i can clutch but cant keep it up

i can clutch but cant keep it up

well its not that i cant... its just dont knw how lol.... help a new stunter out lol

Re: i can clutch but cant keep it up

use the throttle... that helps

jerk your clutch

Banned

Thumbs up Re: i can clutch but cant keep it up

I'm no stunter and I have a similar issue with clutch ups, but what I find is you need to pop it up immediately to the sweet spot.

When I pop it up anything short, I'm simply not in the power band to recover it as it drops. And when I attempt it, the revs jump as I go from 6000rpm up to 8k+. That surge builds and doesnt help when I just need to keep the wheel from falling.

But from what I am understanding, if you can get close to the sweet spot on clutching up, then very miminal throttle is needed to correct from slight dipping of the wheel. You dont need to be in the power band at all, and it makes the corrections quite simple and smooth.

Personally I don't like the feeling of fully balanced slow speed wheelies. That light feeling disturbs me, but then again I'm not used to it and I can't afford to drop the bike learning. So my wheelie progression has been slow over the years. Like I said I'm not a stunter or committing my life or fairings to learning a wheelie.

But I'm getting better with clutch ups. The main difference I noticed from power ups, is that power ups are really twitchy once you're up, as any slight correction is right in the power band. I got used to holding power ups in first gear for quite a while, but it's too twitchy to hold more than 10 seconds for me.

Clutch ups I find are not responsive enough for the reason I mentioned before (not being in the power when at that balance point, due to only rolling along at 50 to 60kms or so). My power band (ZX10R) kicks in when I'm in first gear going 110kms+

So maybe we share the same issue. I am learning to reach the balance point immediately then learn the correct throttle control when only around 5k rpm or so (and trying not to get a late surge which will tip me over).

Also learning better back brake control which I didnt really use too much in my early days of learning power ups.

More to think about in clutch ups I find, but the results are better in the end.

Everyone swears by them. But to a cop it don't matter what speed the wheel comes up...you're toast. If only slow wheelies were legal!

get a pit bike! they're wicked sick for learning where balance point is. I suck too but am getting better, just lack consistency. Just practice lots, but before you get too good train yourself to bring the front down with the rear wheel. At first i would just chop the throttle if i got scared, and almost looped it once or twice. You have to make the right foot thing instinct so when you do go to loop it you can save it. So get some nice comfortable wheelies on power and practice bringing it down with the front.

After that just blip harder, the front wheel should come most of the way to balance point all at once. Also heard tips like going to a lot and turning up the idle to 3k, makes it a little easier to learn maintenance throttle while you're up there.
    Driving a cage is to have sanity forced upon you.

LOL "im not a stunter", "i have the same problem", Lol and ur advice i didnt read cuz the beginning killed me.... i can wheelie a good distance, and my advice is keep tryin!, no matter wat people tell u it probably wont help... nor tryin on a street... the pit bike was best advice.. i got pinched with a broken foot, riding my 50 to the store to buy smokes, all side street, and wen i switched gears the wheel came up but i put i down i could have takin it home but i didnt..and got no helmet and dangerous driving for that... lol court is in 2 weeks
    ftp

Quote Originally Posted by ics_dunnon1 View Post
    LOL "im not a stunter", "i have the same problem", Lol and ur advice i didnt read cuz the beginning killed me.... i can wheelie a good distance, and my advice is keep tryin!, no matter wat people tell u it probably wont help... nor tryin on a street... the pit bike was best advice.. i got pinched with a broken foot, riding my 50 to the store to buy smokes, all side street, and wen i switched gears the wheel came up but i put i down i could have takin it home but i didnt..and got no helmet and dangerous driving for that... lol court is in 2 weeks
    really on the 50? that sucks man ftp.