16 yr old SV650

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16 yr old SV650

16 yr old SV650

Hey guys just looking for some tips on where a 16 year old with and sv650 should start looking for the best quotes. ALso if anyone has a rough idea of what he can expect to pay feel free to throw it out there.

Thanks
    Last edited by Spizzak; 09-02-2010 at 08:44 PM.
    *~.Dan.~*
    EX500 Streetfighter

Re: 16 yr old SV650

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=111466

He will probably be in Facility, since he won't meet the eligibility criteria of most insurers. You could try some of the insurers in my sticky though.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Yeah I just saw that, thanks
    *~.Dan.~*
    EX500 Streetfighter

No problem. Be warned however that 16yo's and auto/bike insurance policies don't mix very well . . .
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Who does facility ins.?
    *~.Dan.~*
    EX500 Streetfighter

Quote Originally Posted by Spizzak View Post
    Who does facility ins.?
    Facility Association is the "insurer of last resort". Due to the all-comer rule, you should be able to walk into any broker/agency and get a quote, even if you don't meet their eligibility criteria. If you aren't eligible for the standard insurer, then they will quote you with Facility.

Short answer -- you can walk into any broker/agent's office and get a quote with Facility.

Get a CBR 125, a bike you can more easily control. Learn some skills in a much less threatening way and then eventually move up to something larger.

If you're insisting on getting an SV650 please be sure to arrange some life insurance.

As a former 16 year old I can tell you there is no way you should be riding an SV650 on the road.

I think the OP is looking around for a younger brother or friend or something.

16 + 650 = fail
    guaranteed...
    Unless you're willing to spend 10k/year get a 125 (I think even a 250 will be too expensive for 16). I don't understand where kids find money for this kind of crap unless they're leeching it from their parents...

Proud owner of a 2001 Kawi 250 (low side count: 3)
    UWaterloo '13-14 - Fin. Analysis, Com. Sci. (SE) Double
    (don't hate on the sig...ye have been warned...)

Thanks guys its been taken care of.
    *~.Dan.~*
    EX500 Streetfighter

It's just a SV650 not a Hayabusa.

Banned

Exclamation Re: 16 yr old SV650

Quote Originally Posted by koorosh View Post
    It's just a SV650 not a Hayabusa.

650 V-Twin with a lot of twichy torque and requires a steady clutch feathering hand for city driving.

It's jumpy and wheelies pretty easy with no slipper clutch and a mighty aggressive engine braking compared to a hyabusa in the city.

A Busa and even my 10R are actually quite sluggish under 60kph in the city unless I pull in the clutch and get ham fisted with the throttle.

SV650 is a nervous bike at 60 kph right in a twin's power band!

650 is a poor / young man's hooligan bike and oodles of fun. It was a huge difference from my previous inline 600.

Though it did top out at just under 230kph that's plenty to get a 16 year old into trouble.

I am thinking of getting an sv650, im 17 but with jevco how much would it cost to inusure the bike for me ?? im thinking of maybe getting an 03. i was thinking of an ss but this bike looks more comfy
    Derbi Gpr nude for sale PM ME

Anybody whos down with a youngins meet pm me.

http://www.johnduffyinsurance.com/contact.html

Hope you've had an M class license for a year.
    *~.Dan.~*
    EX500 Streetfighter

Quote Originally Posted by NEED_SPEED View Post
    I am thinking of getting an sv650, im 17 but with jevco how much would it cost to inusure the bike for me ?? im thinking of maybe getting an 03. i was thinking of an ss but this bike looks more comfy
    At 17yo, there are probably much better things you can spend your money on -- like saving for tuition. If money's no obstacle, then expect to pay a lot. I'd be very surprised if you even qualify for a standard insurer since you're so young and have no car/bike history. If you don't qualify for a standard insurer, then you will have to go to the Facility Association.

If I had to hazard a guess, it would be in the $3500/yr to $4000/yr range. Even on a more suitable beginner bike like a Ninja 250, you can probably expect to pay $2500 to $3000. These are purely guesses though . . . call a broker if you want to know for certain.

Ive already had 2 bikes insured in my past no accidents tickets or claims and have my m2. Im going to be working part time after school to pay off the insurance either sv650 or a hyosung 250. already have 2 years covered of tuition because ive been saving since 13, The sv650 looks like an nice bike and i know its not an SS so i wouldnt be paying that much a year but i want to get a ball park estimate of how much i would be paying. if im going to be paying 4000 a year would it be worth it ? or should i just get a hyosung 250, is it an ss or blacklisted though ? i heard from dealerships that its going to be blacklisted soon

Quote Originally Posted by NEED_SPEED View Post
    Ive already had 2 bikes insured in my past no accidents tickets or claims and have my m2. Im going to be working part time after school to pay off the insurance either sv650 or a hyosung 250. already have 2 years covered of tuition because ive been saving since 13, The sv650 looks like an nice bike and i know its not an SS so i wouldnt be paying that much a year but i want to get a ball park estimate of how much i would be paying. if im going to be paying 4000 a year would it be worth it ? or should i just get a hyosung 250, is it an ss or blacklisted though ? i heard from dealerships that its going to be blacklisted soon
    You've only been riding for a year . . . that isn't much of a "history" as far as the insurer is concerned. For ballpark estimates, contact a broker. You are a special circumstance, because you likely don't qualify for many standard insurance companies due to your age.

No one can tell you if $4000/yr is "worth it" but you . . . obviously, the meaning of $4000 is different for each person. There is no way I would pay $4000/yr to ride any bike . . . it's just too much money that I could be using elsewhere. At your age, you should probably consider the bikes that will give you the cheapest rate. There is plenty of years left in your life (provided you are a safe operator) to advance to the higher-powered bikes when your rates come down a bit. Some good bikes worth considered are the Ninja 250, Ninja 500, GSX500F, etc.

FYI, the Hyosung 250 will never be blacklisted as a SS. Perhaps the SV650 might be blacklisted someday, especially if it attracts a lot of the risky young operators who want an SS for the power (whether they can handle it or not) but can't afford the insurance on an all-out SS.

i got a quote for 2800 for the sv650 is that right, the guy then told me it would be the same price for an r6 but i had to correct him not going to say who it is but is it only 2800 for a 650 its 2150 for a 250cc for me and its more than double the displacement for only $650 more

GSF 500 my friend, im 19 just got my 09 gsf 500, enough power, easy to ride city and comfortable on hwys as I do about 15km on hwy to school and 15km back each day so I say go for it. *GP Bikes has an 08 for $3999 but you could get it down for sure.

*Insurance through jevco is $1863 full coverage if I wanted just liability it would of been $1450 and so for you Id say about $2000 maybe $2100 full...just liability would be around 1600-1700.

Easyway Insurance is my Broker in Mississauga BTW...Matheson and Eglinton

Quote Originally Posted by alaywa View Post

A Busa and even my 10R are actually quite sluggish under 60kph in the city unless I pull in the clutch and get ham fisted with the throttle.
    LOL! I refuse to believe you have ridden a litre class bike unless it was on your XBox.