Home Made Garmin GPS Mount

Thread: Home Made Garmin GPS Mount

Home Made Garmin GPS Mount

I was trying to figure out a solid and cheep way of mounting my gps on my bike. This is what I came up with. I used a bar end from a bmx and a bead from a cheep dollar store necklace. I measured the ball on my stock Garmin car mount and found it was 17mm so I wondered into the dollar store with my 17mm wrench as a measuring tool and picked out the perfect necklace. Then I drilled and counter sunk a hole in the bead and used the stock bolt that came in the bar end. I just stuck the bar end into the steerer tube then tightened up the bolt to expand the bar end and secure it in place. It was that easy and it only cost me $1. I also wired up a 12v accessory plug with fuse under my seat. (Went on a 1000km bike trip last weekend was very stable and gave me no trouble)

Its very easy to see the display in this location and you can tilt and angel the display on the ball to suit your riding position.

Its very out of the way and does not interfere with any controls

I just used the stock cradle that comes with the gps

Here is a picture of the bar end tightened in to the steerer tube with the bead on top
    Last edited by Broken Boards Skateshop; 08-31-2010 at 06:13 PM.

Re: Home Made Garmin GPS Mount

Sorry about the small pictures and vague description. If i get more time I will do up a better walk though.
    (pictures don't seem to be working have to find a different host I guess)
    Last edited by Broken Boards Skateshop; 08-31-2010 at 05:59 PM.

very creative solution

Very nice!!

I may copy your idea, but will add some additional connection (small wire attached to mount and GPS) just incase the factory clip lets go. It would be a shame to loose the GPS on a BIG bump.
    V4s growl, inlines whine.

Brilliant. I've seen another mcguyver job where a garden hose was pushed into the steering tube and then a 3" lug screw was turned into the hose and the hex head was left raised to which a GPS cradle was attached (can't recall how). Seems secure. As suggested, I'd think of a sturdier cradle mount for the GPS as the car mount version is not as secure. Depending on the GPS you have, about $10-$15.
    Track is my Crack - but I'm not fast - yet.
    '08 Ninja ZX-6R

Originally Posted by Bandit Bill
    Oh Sweet Jesus ... my eyes, someone stab me in the eyes to take that image away!!!!

Nicely done, thanks.

Check this solution out, too:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/garmin-g...ndlebar-mount/
    Last edited by viper84737; 10-02-2010 at 09:47 AM.

that's a great solution, but check gps city.ca for a cradle. one bump and losing it would not be fun. the cradle I got was only $7 or something (just the part you need) so it wasn't bad...
    Engine size is compensation for tiny odometers. // You either drag knee in -3 or pose in 20.
    2001 ex500 420+ km on a single tank. Mods: Digital Speedomoter / Corbin Seat / Works Performance Shock / braided brake lines / fake pezzo levers / integrated mirror+turn signals / gps power cord + ram mount / heated grips. / Heat troller for winter gear Fairing repair tutorial

Found it: http://www.gpscity.ca/ram-mount-moto...ware-pack.html
    Also check out: http://www.gpscity.ca/ram-mount-moto...inch-ball.html

I was literally just about to head out to the hardware store when I saw your post, fyrebug, thanks! This seems like it will spare me several headaches.

Deleted.
    Last edited by viper84737; 10-11-2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Starting my own thread about this!