Winter Scooter Club

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Scooter Club

Winter Scooter Club

In my hunt for a winter beater I was thinking why not a scooter? It certainly would be my cheapest option in terms of buying and running over the cold months. I would like to hear from others who ride a scooter over the winter. What`s a good winter scooter that can take the pain so to speak. I have the right winter gear as I bought some really good stuff so I could start riding the bike in March which worked really well in the cold/rain. I plan on putting the bike away in Nov.

How hard is it to ride in snow?
    Should you run a different tire?
    Just how cold is it?
    Is 26km each way too far to even try this?
    How often are you lubing the chain?

Thanks in advance

Keith
    New to me for 2012.

Re: Winter Scooter Club

Quote Originally Posted by killerkeith View Post
    In my hunt for a winter beater I was thinking why not a scooter? It certainly would be my cheapest option in terms of buying and running over the cold months. I would like to hear from others who ride a scooter over the winter. What`s a good winter scooter that can take the pain so to speak. I have the right winter gear as I bought some really good stuff so I could start riding the bike in March which worked really well in the cold/rain. I plan on putting the bike away in Nov.

How hard is it to ride in snow?
    Should you run a different tire?
    Just how cold is it?
    Is 26km each way too far to even try this?
    How often are you lubing the chain?

Thanks in advance

Keith

I think a lot would depend on the road be traveled. If you are comfortable with it, go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by JamieVk View Post
    I think a lot would depend on the road be traveled. If you are comfortable with it, go for it!
    No roads over 60kph.
    New to me for 2012.

Ok ive done that 2 years in a row, you need a pair winter gloves or something really warm (if you are going 50-60km/h at around -20C degree) during a snow storm, make sure you keep your feet down by dragging them when making a turn. When you want to stop, use the front and rear brake plus your feet. Expect a lot of fog in your visor few minutes.

Oh yea, you should change your tires but its not necessary

Honda Ruckus for sure.

You can ride a Vespa if you got the skill
    Vivere est vincere

join up on the Toronto Moto Scooter Club, and ask there. Many year rounders and knowledgeable folks. I was too, but decided on a dual purpose bike this winter

thanks...I'll check it out.
    New to me for 2012.

id love to get a ruckus. there are like 4 of them parked near my office everyday. they just look tough as nails!

+1 on the dual purpose, with knarly nobbies!

I don't like the thought of shifting in slippery conditions. The automatic scooter just seems like it would be easier to ride in tough conditions. The Ruckus has those fat little tires that might do the trick. I'm looking at a Jazz tonight.
    New to me for 2012.

Forget the scooter and get yourself a Rokon!!! 2-wheel drive bike that will get you ANYWHERE. Probably difficult to register for road use though

If you need a vehicle that will go up, over, and through anything in its path - ROKON is the only choice. Narrow with high ground clearance and excellent traction for its lightweight --- ROKON will get you into places no other vehicle will. The ROKON is the most versatile and rugged all-terrain vehicle today.

ROKONs feature a patented two-wheel drive system. Full time front and rear wheel drive means safe, stable control in all types of terrain. Unyielding power delivery lets you tow and carry enormous loads. The narrow width and balanced weight allows ease of operation, even in the most difficult situations. The automatic transmission lets you concentrate on the terrain, not shifting. A choice of three speed ranges gives you awesome power at slow speeds.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5m6DCfU6vo"]YouTube- Rokon Trailbreaker duo in the snow[/ame]
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka

Quote Originally Posted by killerkeith View Post
    I don't like the thought of shifting in slippery conditions. The automatic scooter just seems like it would be easier to ride in tough conditions. The Ruckus has those fat little tires that might do the trick. I'm looking at a Jazz tonight.
    Hrmm...this thread has given me ideas. I was thinking about this the other day as well as I want to get an apartment downtown so that I'm closer to the office. I'd love to sell my car and be able to scooter around in the winter haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
    Man, that's like two bucks worth of 50 cent words. I guess that Readers Digest subscription really paid off.
    '92 gixxer 750 - Jupiter

Quote Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
    Hrmm...this thread has given me ideas. I was thinking about this the other day as well as I want to get an apartment downtown so that I'm closer to the office. I'd love to sell my car and be able to scooter around in the winter haha.
    I know! Compared to running a car, a scooter makes sense. It's those few days you get caught in the snow storm and your rightly screwed that worries me. I'm watching a bunch of YouTube scooter winter videos and that's not helping either.

Looks fun but pretty if you ask me...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMUHMlGkHxA"]YouTube- Honda Ruckus Winter/snow ride![/ame]
    New to me for 2012.

or you can get a Can Am spyder/t-rex or even a piaggio mp3

The Yamaha BWs 125 looks like it will do ok in snow with it's chunky tires. No need to lube chains. It's belt driven. I happen to have this scooter and use it as a daily commuter. Can't wait till it snows.

'08 ZX6R

^^It's even got the little grip covers on there. I've seen those around and I kinda like 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
    Man, that's like two bucks worth of 50 cent words. I guess that Readers Digest subscription really paid off.
    '92 gixxer 750 - Jupiter

The thing with the ruckus is there is nothing to really break if (when) you go down. The aftermarket is big also so you can trick them out pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by wedginator View Post
    The Yamaha BWs 125 looks like it will do ok in snow with it's chunky tires. No need to lube chains. It's belt driven. I happen to have this scooter and use it as a daily commuter. Can't wait till it snows.

Excellent! Too bad there is nothing used out there right now and $4000 new is to much. I'm trying to keep the budget under $2000.
    New to me for 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcamaro View Post
    The thing with the ruckus is there is nothing to really break if (when) you go down. The aftermarket is big also so you can trick them out pretty good.
    Big plus as you have to expect to crash a few times over the winter.
    New to me for 2012.