Coming up to an intersection with a red light or yield sign. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coming up to an intersection with a red light or yield sign.

Re: Coming up to an intersection with a red light or yield sign.

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth232 View Post
    Im pretty sure its now illegal to turn on a red light when theres an advance green.
    Is this written somewhere, because I've never heard of this law.

If there is an advanced green towards a one-lane road I can see that you may have to wait until they've all gone through, however for the most part cars with an advanced green, or cars making a left turn altogether should be turning into their left lane, and you should safely be able to turn into your right lane.

This is in a world where everyone follows the rules, however as the OP clearly demonstrated, people will do all sorts of wonderful things because everyone else does them anyway, so you need to be extra cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOnion View Post
    you guys are crazy, how are you supposed to know that there is an advanced green coming towards you, when all you see is a red light?

you friend failed because he scared the test taker.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...ion2.6.3.shtml
    Actually, It was the motocycle tester at durham who told me this. Think about it, to complete a proper left turn you must change lanes and get to the right lane. you cant do that properly if theres a bunch of cars turing right. That was his explaination for it
    And yes you can tell if the oncoming traffic has a advance. you will see that theres an advance arrow or you see the other side move but you still have a red light.

I'm no Sherlock Holmes, so my deductive reasoning skills fail me when I try to figure out advanced left turns(when turning right). That's why I look for No Right Turn on Red signs. If there is one I wait for a green. Otherwise I wait to make sure nobody is headed for the same lane as I am. (which is the most difficult/important thing to do at an intersection).

Your tester is a fool that was trying to seem smart. How would she explain some intersections that have both, advanced lefts and advanced rights, that go green at the same time. The left turners can move over to the right when it is safe to do so. Advice my instructor told me to always follow before I went for my exam.

Not to mention some advance greens stay on with NO traffic moving through. I am sure everyone has experienced that...it is ever so annoying.

How do some people get their licence??? Scary, very scary...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMyhal View Post
    You're correct, my friend recently failed his G test for doing this.

You will fail if you proceed to make the right hand turn while the traffic with the advanced left turn are in the intersection. It's dangerous because you don't know if the traffic with the advance light will turn into the left lane or cross over to the right most lane.

Once the traffic has cleared the intersection and it's safe, you can turn right while the light is red.

how long u been driving for to the OP???
    scarborough rides.............

OP: Sounds like you need to learn how to ride the bike first before you start to pick up bad habits. Make a full stop and then proceed.
    R.I.P : William Joseph "Joey" Dunlop, Feb. 25th 1952 - July 2nd 2000.“KING OF THE ROADS” Sadly Missed, Never Forgotten.

www.roadawareness.ca

Quote Originally Posted by mindactivated View Post

If there is an advanced green towards a one-lane road I can see that you may have to wait until they've all gone through, however for the most part cars with an advanced green, or cars making a left turn altogether should be turning into their left lane, and you should safely be able to turn into your right lane.

This is in a world where everyone follows the rules, however as the OP clearly demonstrated, people will do all sorts of wonderful things because everyone else does them anyway, so you need to be extra cautious.
    I looked for it on the website but it was laking alot of info. The best way to conferm this for yourself this would probably be to justwalk into a driving center and ask. even the handbooks miss alot of info you can be failed for when takeing a test. I have asked twice, and have been told twice that it is against ontario law. And Ill be asking again the next chance i get because it does seem kind of silly just like you said. If everyone follows the rules of the road then it should be safe. but untill i hear that it is legal, im stopping and waiting till the opposing traffic advance green is finished.
    Last edited by elizabeth232; 08-25-2010 at 11:47 PM.

I agree, I don't believe knowledge of what light the oncoming traffic sees is ever a factor. How am I supposed to know if they have an advance or are making a 'Boston left'?

On the other hand, I can see it being considered an unsafe turn to attempt to make such a right and end up beside someone turning left, regardless of the lights. I think this like passing on a double-yellow, lots of people have their information wrong, but end up safer for it.
    --
    Killing you and giving you good advice aren't mutually exclusive.

The best person to ask is a lawyer, not anyone at DriveTest. Do you know what the criteria is to work there? Working there doesn't give them any credibility. The Ontario HTA is accessible online. It only tells you what you can't do and the penalties. Everything else is fair game. 'Advice' from people, and the driver's handbook are just guidelines. Guides that try to keep you within the law. If you want to be extra cautious because someone might break the law, then drive a cage, or better yet stay at home and get off public roads.

@Aslan - I found more laws against crossing a solid white line than any on the cautionary yellow one. I find that drivers only make 'Boston lefts' when they know the way is clear.

here's an example:

Steeles Avenue East & Woodbine Avenue in Markham.

South facing cars with advanced green arrow heading east --> they are legally supposed to go into the left-most lane. AFTER they make their turn, then they can safely turn into other lanes by using indicators. They do not have a free-for-all right to any lane they choose.

Furthermore, the two north facing cars making a right turn --> the right-most cars can proceed after a full stop, and only if there is no oncoming traffic. From a legal standpoint I don't understand how a south facing car can legally enter the right most east-bound lane. Once those two cars are in the eastbound lane they can make their lane changes in accordance with traffic laws.

I'd also like to point out that the north facing lane to the left of the right-most lane is not allowed to make a right turn on a red light, but when they do, they should turn into the 2nd right corresponding lane.

p.s. north facing cars in the 2nd right lane at this particular intersection break this law constantly.

edit: that was confusing to write!

here's an example:

... Trimmed ...

I'd also like to point out that the north facing lane to the left of the right-most lane is not allowed to make a right turn on a red light, but when they do, they should turn into the 2nd right corresponding lane.

I really want to believe that, but cannot find it in the HTA. The right-on-red section does not restrict to the curb lane.
    --
    Killing you and giving you good advice aren't mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I really want to believe that, but cannot find it in the HTA. The right-on-red section does not restrict to the curb lane.
    To end the left turn lane argument, here's a link to the mto website discussing this exact question:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...ion2.6.4.shtml

Saying that, if a person sticks to their lane, you should be able to safely make a right turn at a red light where the opposing traffic has an advanced green as long as it's not into your own lane (i.e. bramalea road & steeles ave east bound turning north is a good example).

Edit: To add to this, when making a right turn, turn into your lane, which is the right most lane. Source
    Last edited by mindactivated; 08-27-2010 at 01:47 PM.

Saying that, if a person sticks to their lane, you should be able to safely make a right turn at a red light where the opposing traffic has an advanced green as long as it's not into your own lane

Edit: To add to this, when making a right turn, turn into your lane, which is the right most lane. Source
    Easy rules.....I agree completly -- TONS of cars swing out an extra lane...

Quote Originally Posted by FZ1Oakville View Post

Thats because most are going too fast to make the actual turn and need the room.

Not sure about every intersection but all the ones I can remember having a left advance green into one lane always had a no right on red on the opposite corner.

Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    If the cops don't see your foot down they will assume you rolled though a stop sign. Yields I slow down look and go.

Ya ...do this ....

here's an example:

South facing cars with advanced green arrow heading east --> they are legally supposed to go into the left-most lane. AFTER they make their turn, then they can safely turn into other lanes by using indicators. They do not have a free-for-all right to any lane they choose.

Furthermore, the two north facing cars making a right turn --> the right-most cars can proceed after a full stop, and only if there is no oncoming traffic. From a legal standpoint I don't understand how a south facing car can legally enter the right most east-bound lane. Once those two cars are in the eastbound lane they can make their lane changes in accordance with traffic laws.

p.s. north facing cars in the 2nd right lane at this particular intersection break this law constantly.

edit: that was confusing to write!
    Wow, all of my major pet peeves covered in one post. Nice.

Sometimes I like to remind myself that putting my foot down before making a right on a red gives me a chance to take a couple of deep breaths and relax.

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by FZ1Oakville View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguy1 View Post
    Thats because most are going too fast to make the actual turn and need the room.
    Unless they are drifting around the corner they could probably make it a little tighter. People just drive lazily. This is why you should avoid turning onto a road at the same time as another vehicle (ie you making a right while someone else makes a left at an intersection)... you never know which lane the other person is going to turn into. Safer to just wait a couple of seconds. Although cabbies will probably honk at you and technically the person making the right should have priority IMO but still safer to make sure you don't get merged into.

Also, you should always stop at a red before making your right. And I would avoid making a right on red if there are cars in other lanes (other than the rightmost lane) because some asshats change lanes IN the intersection (which, as far as I know, is illegal). I once had a really close call when I started making a right on red when a guy changed into that lane, without signaling, part way through the intersection. Lesson learned without any harm luckily.
    Last edited by unL33T; 09-02-2010 at 02:23 PM.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

In body: Hamilton... In spirit, Switzerland!

I don't see what the problem with advanced greens is for anyone in the oncoming end of traffic waiting at the red; half of the people with an advanced green fall asleep and press the gas pedal once the light has turned yellow on the whole queue..

/sarcasm
    "Izz dangerous..... Izz dangerous not only you... but... all deh fackeen idiot who ride deh car" - Rossi, FASTER