Any1 ever ridden to Sioux Lookout On?

Thread: Any1 ever ridden to Sioux Lookout On?

Any1 ever ridden to Sioux Lookout On?

Any1 ever ridden to Sioux Lookout On? 1870km 1 way, Im leaving Thursday. I have ridden to Thunderbay more than once, Sioux lookout is around 400km further north.

Re: Any1 ever ridden to Sioux Lookout On?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue919Guy View Post
    Any1 ever ridden to Sioux Lookout On? 1870km 1 way, Im leaving Thursday. I have ridden to Thunderbay more than once, Sioux lookout is around 400km further north.

Funny you should ask. I live in T.bay. I've never been to Sioux Lookout and was going to ride there on Monday or Tuesday on a day trip. I can give you an update after.

Although I"m sure you get replies from those that already have.

Very interesting! Please do update.... Having current info would be great. Where are you going to stop for fuel?

Very interesting! Please do update.... Having current info would be great. Where are you going to stop for fuel?
    Fuel is very important.....lol I only have a 7.7 litre tank. From Thunder Bay if you stay on 11/17 you can stop in Kakabeka which is 30km's from TBay. After that you have Upsala then Ignace. The turn off to 590 to SL is just before Ignace proper starts. So go into town and gas up then go back to the turn off.
    http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Thunder+Bay,+Ontario&dad dr=Sioux+Lookout,+ON&hl=en&geocode=%3BCbRU0P7xYYBO FXVR_AIdymuF-imFs-w85JuYUjGUWEz1srvCmg&mra=ls&sll=50.053612,-91.961575&sspn=0.038742,0.076818&ie=UTF8&ll=49.410 08,-91.631041&spn=0.017759,0.076818&t=h&z=14&layer=c&c bll=49.405494,-91.634758&panoid=riNGqgDbd6OkrQO-7ESRCQ&cbp=11,292.54,,0,19.17

After that it's all new to me. Not sure how many fuel place are there between Ignace and Sioux Lookout. The map looks pretty barren. I'll let you know thought. I just went and got a jerry can for back up fuel.

Last edited by LesMcLuffAlot; 08-21-2010 at 02:52 PM.

I was going to ride up that far but plans changed! Don't need to now.

Good luck on your trek! Get gas when you can, and watch out for those 4-legged things that make your heart jump.

Your jerry can fits perfectly, have you considered getting a larger tank, many DRZ riders replace their OEM tank with a larger tank (20+Ltr.) to increase their range.

Quote Originally Posted by LesMcLuffAlot View Post
    Fuel is very important.....lol I only have a 7.7 litre tank. From Thunder Bay if you stay on 11/17 you can stop in Kakabeka which is 30km's from TBay. After that you have Upsala then Ignace. The turn off to 590 to SL is just before Ignace proper starts. So go into town and gas up then go back to the turn off.
    http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...92.54,,0,19.17

After that it's all new to me. Not sure how many fuel place are there between Ignace and Sioux Lookout. The map looks pretty barren. I'll let you know thought. I just went and got a jerry can for back up fuel.

Ride Safe.....

http://www.motowhere.com/

2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Faster Silver) -SOLD

Looking for a Ducati Monster, BMW R1200R or 2008 Gen 2 FZ1

PM if you have one for sale.

Watch out for the wildlife. I've never seen so many Moose and Deer as I have this year.
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Quote Originally Posted by boooya View Post
    Watch out for the wildlife. I've never seen so many Moose and Deer as I have this year.
    My last trip back I saw my first moose! I have seen many more wolves than anything else in the last 2 years... lots. No riding too early or too late in the day, and Im very attentive up there... it is dangerous.

LesMcLuf,, how many km do you get on 7.7L? I have a 21L tank and get about 260... I worked it out so that as long as the gas stations I looked up are still open, I should be OK

I think i`ve seen all the wildlife that Ont. has to offer but never a wolf.
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Quote Originally Posted by boooya View Post
    I think i`ve seen all the wildlife that Ont. has to offer but never a wolf.
    I would nver have guessed either, but once you pass Wawa there are lots! More than a couple gas station attendees warned me that some poor family had lost a dog while refuelling... just taken the dog for a leak and it was snatched from the treeline!

A little rundown of the wildlife I have seen:

1 for sure, in your face moose... 1 Im pretty sure was standing in the treeline as I passed, only caught a glimpse.

4 wolves. 1 was just standing at the side of the road watching people as they stopped to take pics. I stopped too, but was on the bike and thought better of it in a matter of seconds lol. All of them looked thin, but bigger than I would have guessed.

1 black bear. A lady in a SUV hit him as he crossed the road 1/2km in front of me.

Dozens of fox/coyotes

Multiple dozens of deer. Dont really count these as they are all over the place, even in Hamilton.

Try to stay behind a car and let them clear the path of moose and deer...

My last trip back I saw my first moose! I have seen many more wolves than anything else in the last 2 years... lots. No riding too early or too late in the day, and Im very attentive up there... it is dangerous.

LesMcLuf,, how many km do you get on 7.7L? I have a 21L tank and get about 260... I worked it out so that as long as the gas stations I looked up are still open, I should be OK
    I haven't really done one full tank of strictly highway miles yet. If I stay in the 90-110kph range I should get about 160kms or more before it starts to sputter.

I had one tank where I did about 80km's of highway miles with numerous forrays into the 120-130kph's then the rest was city riding. The trip meter only read 142km's before it started to sputter and I flicked it to reserve.

I checked the distances between communities on google maps. I'm pretty sure I won't need my jerry can. If I do run out of gas between Ignace and Sioux Lookout it will be just on the edge of town...lol.

I'll give you an update of all fuel stops along the way with photos even.

Ok, did the ride on Monday. Longest motorbike ride I have done to this point. Bike used is a 2009 Kawasaki KLX250sf supermoto. Sorry I forgot to bring my camera with me, so no photos.

I left at 10:30am got home at 8:45ish pm.

Thunder Bay to Sioux Lookout and back stats from GPS:

Total actual riding time: 8hours 4 mins and 29 seconds
    Average speed: 95.3kph
    Maximum speed: 130kph
    Total Distance: 769.8km
    Total Elevation Gain: 14,688ft

Very windy, gusty day. Very hot day. Headwind on the way home played havoc with my fuel mileage. Worst tank, I only got 125km's before I had to switch to reserve.

Fuel is available in Kakabeka, Shabaqua Corners, Upsala, Ignace, Silver Dollar, Sioux Lookout, Dryden.

Highway 11/17 along the stretch is in good condition. Many improvements over the past few years. Numerous special passing sections. Plenty of long straight sections for safe passing as well.

I took Highway 590 from Igance to Silver Dollar. This is a chipseal highway. In good condition. An interesting road, but not many interesting views. The forest encroaches right to the edge of the highway so you can't see the forest past the trees. I was thinking animals could jump out at any moment...lol. 80kph speed limit. Very little traffic.

At Silver Dollar, I took higway 684. There is a fuel station with one pump at the turn off. Chipseal again and a very interesting road, lots of fun curves as you get closer to Sioux Lookout. Unfortuanately there are numerous short gravel sections. None more than a couple 100 meters in length. They were a lot of fun on my supermoto. I sped up for most of them....lol. There was one section of construction on 684 where I had to stop for about 5mins. A backhoe dug up half the road for a new culvert. Very little traffic. This was my favourite section of road on the whole trip.

Sioux Lookout is a nice little town. Very busy in summer. A bustle of activity. Didn't stay long. I went to an ATM for cash and fueled up with some snack and fed the bike fuel.

I took Highway 74 from Sioux Lookout back to Highway 11/17. Basic two lanes, speed limit 90kph if I'm recalling correctly. In good condition. Lots of rolling hills. The 590, 684 route is more fun, but you have to deal with the gravel sections on 684.

I hit 11/17 and made my way home. Fueling up every chance along the way.

I saw no live animals larger than a squirrel. I saw one dead moose and numerous, mostly unrecognizable small and medium sized recent road kills. Many sections of large blood splatter on the highway of a recent but cleaned up animal/vehicle interaction.

End of report.

Thanks for the detailed report! Too bad you didnt get any pics... how was the view at Sioux lookout?