Camping suggestions for 2up sleeping?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping suggestions for 2up sleeping?

Camping suggestions for 2up sleeping?

First off, neither of us are experienced campers, but we both learn fast and complain little. There has been some good threads going about things to pack for a bike camping trip. I'm looking for stuff that would work for the girlfriend and I packing on one bike (V-Strom 650). The bike does have a smaller hard top box and ammo cans, and while not Givi bags or as large, I could still tie stuff down. (I have extra misc. bags that I can attach and bungee like in the pic of bike below with one setup we did for just a weekend away in a motel - not camping) This would be for 3-7 days trips. Not wanting to break the bank here either, but I also don't want something that is cheap and frustrating.

What do you experienced campers recommend for 2up sleeping that is light, easy to set-up and packs small, fast. Obviously the basics like being waterproof and bug repellent are a must. I have debated about getting a larger 1-person tent that we would just cram into and use with a sleeping pad/bag or wondering if we need to get a 2 person tent.

I also like the Hennessey Hammocks and both of us are fine with sleeping in a hammock, though I'd have to buy two then and two under pads for insulation (I think...)

So:
    Best compact, warm and comfy sleeping bag?
    Best compact tent that could comfortably fit two people?
    Thoughts on the Hennessey working with two people?

We were thinking about trying it out in Manitoulin next weekend.

Thanks!

www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

Re: Camping suggestions for 2up sleeping?

Hennessey's are great but two people in one would be a very tight squeeze. I would suggest two of those in lue of a tent but thats just me maybe. One burner stove, pots/pans, some summer sleeping bags and you are good to go.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

The wife and I have done a weekend camping trip 2-up on a DL650 without too much trouble. The trouble with camping 2-up is finding room on the bike to haul everything. For reference, I've got a Givi 350 Flow topcase and Nelson-Rigg CL-850 saddlebags, which is pretty much exactly like the bike in the background of your pic. Was that pic taken at Caygeon Cove?

There's no way my wife and I would be able to exist in a 1 person tent together, so we've got a 3 person tent (a Eureka model, can't remember the name). You can save some bulk if you go with a 2 person tent, but you'd better be very comfortable snuggling up all night long. I cannot imagine sticking two people into a 1 person tent; unless you both weigh 90lbs one of you will literally be on top of the other. Even with a 3 person tent you'll be storing your gear outside the tent in the vestibule or under the picnic table (bring some big black garbage bags to keep the rain and dew off).

The size of the sleeping bag depends directly on when you'll be camping and how cold it will get. Europe Bound (just across from MEC) has a down filled "One Pound Bag" that packs about as small as I've ever seen, and is good down to maybe 5 or 10 degrees celcius (optimistic?). And unless you are really young and foolish, you won't want to be sleeping right on the ground. I've got a couple of Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pads which are very nice, but Thermarest just came out with a line of inflatables called NeoAir that pack down even smaller. Thermarest also offers the Prolite self-inflaters, but they are much thinner.
    WeeStrom!

Banned

+1. The hennesy is too small for 2. The physics would be all wrong. If you anticipate it always being the two of you, i'd suggest a small two person tent. It would take up the same space as two hennesy's volumetrically. The nice thing about the dual hennesy approach is you can half your dwelling load on a solo trip.

Dont forget a decent under-pad for either approach. I have a thermorest. Very good. Adds considerable R value, and comfort.

A pot/pan set at MEC goes for $25.

A summer weight sleepign bag (that crams down very small in a compression sack ($ goes for about $80. ( http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...34374302701709 )

Thanks for the advice folks. I should have clarified - I wasn't thinking that we'd both be in one hammock, but recognizing that I would need two hammocks and then two underpads, which would maybe make it similar packing size and weight of just a 2/3 person tent and sleeping bag. I've only ever been in 3 person+ tents before, so I didn't know just how cramped the 1 person tents feel. So, I'm looking at 2 hammocks or a 3 person tent.

I do think the thought of the dual Hennessy approach could work well if I decide to solo tour later on and have half the packing for such a trip I looked more into them and it seems pretty straightforward stuff - I'd be getting two Expeditions plus the extra's.

Using tents, we wouldn't be camping in temps too cold. +10/+15C nights are what I'm thinking. If I wanted a 3 person tent (because storing the bags inside is a good idea), are there any specific ones that set-up/tear down + pack well and fit the bill?

Thermarest is a definite. Any suggestions as to which model is best? http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_l...34374302701679

Ash - the picture was taken last year at Riverbank Cottages (http://riverbankrvandcottages.com/cottages.html) which is where V-Tom hosts the annual V-Strom meet in Wilberforce. His brother owns the place and their hospitality was really special. Great turnout last year and it was cool to see all the different Stroms done up each so differently >> heading back there again this year in mid-September.

If I were to buy air mattresses today for bike camping it would probably be a couple of NeoAir models, but I cannot swallow spending $300 when I already have a perfectly good pair of Big Agnes pads. Another slightly cheaper option would be the ProLite. Despite MEC's classification, the NeoAir is not self-inflating, but it is 2.5 inches thick compared to the ProLite's 1 inch, and they both pack down to about the same size. If you have a lot of room to spare you can find much cheaper options though.
    WeeStrom!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    If I were to buy air mattresses today for bike camping it would probably be a couple of NeoAir models, but I cannot swallow spending $300 when I already have a perfectly good pair of Big Agnes pads. Another slightly cheaper option would be the ProLite. Despite MEC's classification, the NeoAir is not self-inflating, but it is 2.5 inches thick compared to the ProLite's 1 inch, and they both pack down to about the same size. If you have a lot of room to spare you can find much cheaper options though.
    I got the prolight because it is one of the few that come in long sizes.

There is a 0.3 R value difference between the two, and i dont think that warrants the extra $50 for the neo if they truly do bang down to the same size.

Quote Originally Posted by dankyyz View Post
    I got the prolight because it is one of the few that come in long sizes.

There is a 0.3 R value difference between the two, and i dont think that warrants the extra $50 for the neo if they truly do bang down to the same size.
    I'd only get the neoair over the prolite because of the extra thickness when inflated, but $50 more per pad is pretty steep. A 2.5" pad is really comfy, especially if your wife only sort of tolerates camping in the first place
    WeeStrom!

Shane,

JGL351 over on Stromtrooper has done tons of two up camping with his wife, and 568V8 over there has a set of soft luggage side bas he used on his DL1000 that are now for sale (he got some hard cases.) I think you should contact them both. (Don't let your lady talk with JGL351's wife as she just convinced JGL351 to get a Gold Wing to replace his V-Strom after she talked with other women on a camping trip in the Maritimes.

I don't think you would want less than a three man tent for two people.

Wiggy has 30% off sale on his sleeping bags (you can see mine if you like let me know), LeBaron had (has?) a sale on last week on tents, I got a Eureka El Capitan for about $40 off, It fits in my Givi 41 side cases and they have other 3 person tents that are cheaper and still great tents. I just bought an Exped Synmat 9DLX pump. Expensive as hell but everyone on ADVrider says great things about it.I have not yet camped with the Exped or the ElCapitan, but both look like they will be great. The Wiggy bags pack well and come with compression bags., Wiggy himself is controversial but I can tell you the bag works great and, when I woke up with 4" of water in my tent (that's why the new tent) and the edge of my bag in it, I was comfy as none of the water wicked to where I was sleeping.

All this stuff is way too expensive but I think it will be great for camping alone or with someone.

..Tom
    Last edited by V-Tom; 08-20-2010 at 08:26 PM.
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Me and my wife have this tent

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...34374302885936

It a bit heavy but it very roomy inside and really rather well made. Been through some nasty storms and kept us dry. Goes up and down quick, and I don't hit my head when I sit up.

For stoves, as I said in another thread I use a MSR DragonFly. Very noisy but burns damn near any liquid fuel (including gasoline), and simmers really well.

Pots and pans I have the older version of these (think mine were Peak1 but same idea)

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...34374302696309

They are light and work. Of course I have a good pocket knife as well, and a heaveir general purpose knife that I forged myself (knife making is harder then you would think but very rewarding and you get it just how you want it)

I am seriously considering asking for this for xmas if my center stand idea gets shot down

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...34374302696309

Sleeping bags I have Helsport, model isn't made any more but they are good bags overall. I use a original Therm-a-Rest Prolite which I think may have to be replaced next year, but its lasted a good long time.
    Last edited by skip; 08-20-2010 at 09:24 PM.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

I don't have any personal experience with this setup but thought about giving it a try,

http://www.sportzbynapier.com/produc...product_num=56

Quote Originally Posted by shanekingsley View Post
    First off, neither of us are experienced campers, but we both learn fast and complain little. There has been some good threads going about things to pack for a bike camping trip. I'm looking for stuff that would work for the girlfriend and I packing on one bike (V-Strom 650). The bike does have a smaller hard top box and ammo cans, and while not Givi bags or as large, I could still tie stuff down. (I have extra misc. bags that I can attach and bungee like in the pic of bike below with one setup we did for just a weekend away in a motel - not camping) This would be for 3-7 days trips. Not wanting to break the bank here either, but I also don't want something that is cheap and frustrating.

What do you experienced campers recommend for 2up sleeping that is light, easy to set-up and packs small, fast. Obviously the basics like being waterproof and bug repellent are a must. I have debated about getting a larger 1-person tent that we would just cram into and use with a sleeping pad/bag or wondering if we need to get a 2 person tent.

I also like the Hennessey Hammocks and both of us are fine with sleeping in a hammock, though I'd have to buy two then and two under pads for insulation (I think...)

So:
    Best compact, warm and comfy sleeping bag?
    Best compact tent that could comfortably fit two people?
    Thoughts on the Hennessey working with two people?

We were thinking about trying it out in Manitoulin next weekend.

Thanks!

Hey, I now this tail bag...

Shane

Things I like in a tent:

Freestanding - will stand on its own without having to be staked to the ground. Rocks and tree roots always seem to be right where you need to drive a tent stake.

A fly that extends right down to the ground - you don't get the lower seams leaking during a driving rain.

2 entry/exits - when sleeping 2 in the tent, you won't have to climb over the other to get to the only exit.

Vestibules - a place to keep your gear, dirty boots etc sheltered and out of the rain but not in the tent. 2 vestibules and exits = more storage as well.

Aluminum poles - lighter than fibrelglass poles when weight is a concern.

Clips instead of sleeves for attaching poles to the tent. Sleeves can be a pita and time consuming, and when setting up in the dark and/or rain, time is of the essence.

Get a fitted groundsheet, either made specifically for the tent or make it yourself.

Generally speaking, tent capacities are overated. ie a 2 man tent will sleep 1 comfortably...3 man sleeps 2 etc.

Lots of different stoves to choose. I have a Coleman 442. Single burner with built in tank and runs on white gas or unleaded gas. I've only used white gas (available everywhere) but nice to know I could use gas from the bike in a pinch.

Go talk to the people at MEC and Europe Bound. They can likely give you some good insight on what would meet your requirements.

Europe Bound usually sells off their rental stuff in the fall during a 1 day sale - tents, stoves, sleeping bags, thermarests etc. Usually pretty decent prices on decent equipment.

PM me before you buy/camp.

Ash: the bike in the background is mine. I really like the CL-850s. The hold a lot of stuff. Unfortunately, I'm missing one of the rain covers.
    Last edited by whywhyzee; 08-21-2010 at 08:39 AM. Reason: to add info.

I usually on the hunt for deals. The tent i have is "Alpine by design" brand that I bought from Sport Authority in NYC. I got it as closeout/clearance for 50$ and its the best (as far as my experience go) tent i got. The poles fit inside the topcase and the tent is packed small in a compression bag. Im 200lbs and my wife is 115ls and we fit nice in the tent with the 2 sidebags out in the vestibule and one inside the tent.

Sorry i cant find the tent in the web or just lazy after 4 searches.
    '02 Silver Super Blackbird
    '06 Black Bandit 650 S
    '93 Red Bandit 400
    '89 Blue CB-1 400

Quote Originally Posted by whywhyzee View Post
    Shane

Things I like in a tent:

Freestanding - will stand on its own without having to be staked to the ground. Rocks and tree roots always seem to be right where you need to drive a tent stake.

A fly that extends right down to the ground - you don't get the lower seams leaking during a driving rain.

2 entry/exits - when sleeping 2 in the tent, you won't have to climb over the other to get to the only exit.

Vestibules - a place to keep your gear, dirty boots etc sheltered and out of the rain but not in the tent. 2 vestibules and exits = more storage as well.

Aluminum poles - lighter than fibrelglass poles when weight is a concern.

Clips instead of sleeves for attaching poles to the tent. Sleeves can be a pita and time consuming, and when setting up in the dark and/or rain, time is of the essence.

Get a fitted groundsheet, either made specifically for the tent or make it yourself.

Generally speaking, tent capacities are overated. ie a 2 man tent will sleep 1 comfortably...3 man sleeps 2 etc.

Lots of different stoves to choose. I have a Coleman 442. Single burner with built in tank and runs on white gas or unleaded gas. I've only used white gas (available everywhere) but nice to know I could use gas from the bike in a pinch.

Go talk to the people at MEC and Europe Bound. They can likely give you some good insight on what would meet your requirements.

Europe Bound usually sells off their rental stuff in the fall during a 1 day sale - tents, stoves, sleeping bags, thermarests etc. Usually pretty decent prices on decent equipment.

I got all that requirements on my tent except for the 2 exits. I will mark the sale of MEC on my calendar .
    '06 Black Bandit 650 S
    '93 Red Bandit 400
    '89 Blue CB-1 400

Quote Originally Posted by whywhyzee View Post
    Shane

PM me before you buy/camp.

Ash: the bike in the background is mine. I really like the CL-850s. The hold a lot of stuff. Unfortunately, I'm missing one of the rain covers.
    Hey Bud,

Good to hear from you in this thread. Thanks for those great tips. In some of the reading I've been doing, I have come across some similar info, but first time I've heard of using clips instead of sleeves (makes sense) and staying away from tents that need to be staked.

Even if we can't go to Manitoulin next weekend (might go to Montreal instead to visit a friend), I might go for a 3-7day trip in October to check out some fall colours down south and work my way back north. We will most certainly be in touch before that at least for a ride or two...

Rick: I really like that tail bag - I use it as my backrest on every long ride I take and as a headrest for my girlfriend when she comes along. Thanks again.

Tom: The Wiggy sleeping bags seem like they are all cocoons so I wonder if they can be used as a comforter for two people... That would be a plus for me. I always have an air compressor on my bike just in case.

Skip: I looked at the Dragonfly and it seems pretty nice. I like the idea of being able to use my bike fuel in a pinch.

djez: thanks for the link to your photo's they were nice and reminded me that at the least I should get a hammock for lounging around in during the day.

Wow this stuff can get expensive really fast, but the money saved on motels and the fun of just being outside easily makes up for it. Thanks everyone for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by shanekingsley View Post

Tom: The Wiggy sleeping bags seem like they are all cocoons so I wonder if they can be used as a comforter for two people... That would be a plus for me. I always have an air compressor on my bike just in case.
    Scroll down Wiggy's list of sleeping bags. They have Rectangular bags (Nautilus and Hunter series with and without hoods.) They all zip together although you would probably want ones without the hood if you were doing that.

I don't understand how the compressor comment relates.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Another thing to do is to make your GF/wife to get her own ride. It will give more room for stuffs to carry
    So far im getting there and now I'm heading off to Haugens for brunch riding with my wife in her first long ride on her 125.
    '06 Black Bandit 650 S
    '93 Red Bandit 400
    '89 Blue CB-1 400

Tom: Haha, I scrolled down after I wrote that and saw the other rectangular bags... and at 30% off too, so that's pretty sweet. I also noticed that all the Wiggy's can be mated for couples camping...Thanks.

Re: compressor - You said in your post about you buying a pump and and so I thought it was for pumping up up mattress pads and stuff, and then I thought I could just use my air compressor. I have a good bike pump if needed... Not sure if I'm lost in translation here

djez: she has her license but just needs more seat time. She sold her bike because of not enough time to ride with other commitments, but maybe one day down the road... for now it's just my bike.