Help me plan my tour to the Adirondacks - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help me plan my tour to the Adirondacks

Re: Help me plan my tour to the Adirondacks

That's just fine.

Damn had a hard time finding a spot for Saturday - lots of events going on all over the region, canoe races, rustic furniture meet

Had to get over to Booneville to get a spot and even that was dicey - $53 tho.

Decent
    http://www.headwatersmotorlodge.com/

Wifi and a pool table when the boredom sets in.

Quote Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
    That's just fine.

Damn had a hard time finding a spot for Saturday - lots of events going on all over the region, canoe races, rustic furniture meet

Had to get over to Booneville to get a spot and even that was dicey - $53 tho.

Decent
    http://www.headwatersmotorlodge.com/

Wifi and a pool table when the boredom sets in.
    MAC,

Did you just wing it with your hotel/motel? leaving tomorrow morning and still trying to figure out where we are going to stay. On one hand I like to have a place to stay but on the other hand I dont really want to be tied down and have to stop because we already booked it, and I dont want to be stuck without a place to stay.

we booked all the way through, the general area is smaller than I thought so there are always extra roads to explore - but damn you do not want to be caught out at dusk with no place to go - deer are everywhere - it's just too risky to wing it - it took two of us 2-3 hours to find an available pair of rooms last Saturday by phoning around and we ended up in Boonville ( which turned out fine ).

I'd say Sunday or weekdays you could wing it - but not the weekends - it's a very very active area for all sorts of events from canoe races, to rustic furniture events to a massive and I mean an hour in traffic old car rally on Lake George.
    It's big time play ground for new Yorkers and the weather is good.

Just called an booked a Lake view King room at the www.northwoodsinn.com
    Its a little spendy, but really nice. Hell we might even stay sunday night there too, and make it our home base.
    06-z750s

Like Mac said, you will have no problem finding a room from Sunday to Friday. However Saturdays are dicey. Having said that, I managed to get a room as a walk-in at the Northwoods on the Saturday of the Labour Day weekend. Be sure to hit the Dancing Bears for their Happy Hour Saturday night. Drafts are $2.00 before 7:00 pm. It is only a 5 minute walk from your hotel. Food is also quite reasonable.
    Aurora

Just called an booked a Lake view King room at the www.northwoodsinn.com
    Its a little spendy, but really nice. Hell we might even stay sunday night there too, and make it our home base.
    I'd like to do that next time - have a home base to ride out from now I know the size of the region.
    Have fun.
    Mind the deer....

we were there on Monday and stayed at the Golden Arrow which is across the road from the Northwood (looked a little rustic) and is only $10 more than Northwood, well worth it, has underground parking and nice rooms. Great food and happy hour at Dancing Bears. Also stayed at Christy's Motel in Old Forge ($50) and nice meal at Old Mill which is next Door. Stopped in Lake George for lunch and will probably make it an overnight stop next time.

We are having breakfast in lake george right now. Weather, roads and scenery has been amazing. 9N is a great stretch of road. We will be home tuesday. Cheers
    06-z750s

We had a great trip as well to Lake Placid had to cut it short and limp home, we had a rider that shredded a tire to wire threads and we could find a dealer in the area that was open. So looking forward to heading back there next season and touring the rest of the area. However we able to as they would say tie one off in the local pub. Fun times had by all.

safe ride back to both you and your wife Canadianshark.

Yeah, Placid was a great little town. I was the one TicToc mentioned about cutting a tire. I was really looking forward to a great tour, but it was cut short. Even stopped at Shannonville on the way home in an attempt to see if anyone had an used scrubs for sale; no dice!

The town is great, inexpensive, and has a decent nightlife. The aforementioned pub was rocking with a local cover band and served cheap beers! I'm up for a larger ride crew to head there again next year.

Safe riding Canadianshark.
    Life is best lived at Wide Open Throttle. Twist the right wrist and watch it all go by.

We arrived home at 2pm today.
    Yesterdays ride from Lake George to Kingston was really good. No traffic in the Adirondack Park, just miles of twisty roads.
    We got caught in a thunderstorm this morning leaving Kingston. But all said, it was an amazing tour.
    My wife's little ninja 250 worked good for this trip, but I think she wants a bigger bike now.
    Photos to come.
    06-z750s

Lake Placid, Sunday morning. It was foggy in the morning.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000470.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	22189
    High Falls gorge.

Name:	P1000494.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	22190
    06-z750s

Whiteface Mt.

Name:	P1000512.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	22192
    Some lake along CR-4.

Name:	P1000541.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	22193
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1000510.JPG  
    06-z750s

didn't really get to many pictures but managed to take a quick vid of Down town lake placid to the Whiteface mtn gate. We ran into a groups of crusiers from Que. and they were riding pretty slow so it put a damper on our ride to to the gate. All in all nice bit of road. Now from the gate up to the top was different situation all together.

http://vimeo.com/15202064
    Last edited by tictoc; 09-22-2010 at 05:40 PM.

Yeah, from the gate to the top, oye. The road surface has not improved since I was there in 2002. You just have to take it slow and enjoy the views.
    06-z750s

Glad you guys/gals had a great time and made it home safe and sound. I always heard lake Placid was pricey but apparently not according to the room rates your folks posted up. Might be on the agenda for next yar on my way back to down AGAIN to PA

Wow- High Gorge Falls looks awsome! Glad the weather held for you guys- Im going to have to hit Placid next year.
    I wish my lawn was Emo- so it would cut itself!