Insurance for an M109r cheaper than an M50?

Thread: Insurance for an M109r cheaper than an M50?

Insurance for an M109r cheaper than an M50?

Hey all, been riding a Suzuki M50(800cc) for this summer, paying around 150 a month from state farm, tooling around the idea of switching to an M109R(1800cc) so I called my agent, and she quoted me 95 bucks a month same coverage as my M50 with comprehensive.

I asked her if her information was correct and so she put me on hold for 10 minutes, came back and confirmed that all the numbers were correct and that was the price for the 1800cc bike. My question for you insurance gurus out there, is something wrong with my current policy, or did they make an error on their part with the new quote? I'm leaning towards the new quote error personally, thanks for your input.

Re: Insurance for an M109r cheaper than an M50?

Check some other companies as well...

That does sound weird, as SF I think just worries about cc's so it should have gone up.

08 MOTO GUZZI 1200 Sport
    07 SV1000ST 36,000kms **SOLD**

Quote Originally Posted by 2500Express View Post
    Hey all, been riding a Suzuki M50(800cc) for this summer, paying around 150 a month from state farm, tooling around the idea of switching to an M109R(1800cc) so I called my agent, and she quoted me 95 bucks a month same coverage as my M50 with comprehensive.

I asked her if her information was correct and so she put me on hold for 10 minutes, came back and confirmed that all the numbers were correct and that was the price for the 1800cc bike. My question for you insurance gurus out there, is something wrong with my current policy, or did they make an error on their part with the new quote? I'm leaning towards the new quote error personally, thanks for your input.
    Why are you with State Farm anyway? In general, their rates suck for non-SS bikes (unless this is your first year of riding). Be sure to read my sticky:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=111466

Something does seems wrong here -- State Farm rates based on a combination of displacement and bike repair/replacement costs, but displacement has the greatest effect. Either your new quote is much too high, or your current premium is wrong. I can't tell either way without knowing your particulars (such as age, location, claims/convictions history, etc.)
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Thanks for the reply viffer, this will be the start of my second year of insurance, since I just started riding last august, and I've received many quotes from different places, and all were higher than state farms.

I'm 25 now, took the rti course for my m2, been licensed with my M1 from may 2009, no tickets, never been pulled over, no accidents, G for 5 years, live in downtown toronto. Read your sticky, will try a couple more places thanks
    Last edited by 2500Express; 08-16-2010 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2500Express View Post
    Thanks for the reply viffer, this will be the start of my second year of insurance, since I just started riding last august, and I've received many quotes from different places, and all were higher than state farms.

I'm 25 now, took the rti course for my m2, been licensed with my M1 from may 2009, no tickets, never been pulled over, no accidents, G for 5 years, live in downtown toronto. Read your sticky, will try a couple more places thanks
    If you have a full year of insurance under your belt, Jevco will likely be a good bet (since you are now considered "experienced" as far as they're concerned). Your goal is to find an insurer who *does* rate by class, so that it works to your advantage (since you are riding a "low-risk" class of bike).

If you haven't quoted since last year, the competitive landscape will be different for you today.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    If you have a full year of insurance under your belt, Jevco will likely be a good bet (since you are now considered "experienced" as far as they're concerned). Your goal is to find an insurer who *does* rate by class, so that it works to your advantage (since you are riding a "low-risk" class of bike).

If you haven't quoted since last year, the competitive landscape will be different for you today.
    I dunno VF, I shopped around again this year after turning 25, having a year under my belt, and looking at a low-risk bike. State Farm was STILL cheaper than Jevco and everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderhorse View Post
    I dunno VF, I shopped around again this year after turning 25, having a year under my belt, and looking at a low-risk bike. State Farm was STILL cheaper than Jevco and everyone else.
    Well, as long as you shopped around. I'm just a little surprised that one of the cruiser-specializing companies isn't offering a better rate. Are you sure that you are quoting competitors with the same discounts (i.e. if you have your car and bike with State Farm, be sure to quote your bike with a competitor on the assumption that they would also get your car).